Author Topic: Header Baffle removel  (Read 3785 times)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
on: July 11, 2013, 09:10:31 pm
I would like to remove the exhaust baffle from inside the header pipe, the one that can be seen next to the foot brake peddle after you remove the bazooka pipe.
Any suggestions on how to break or drill the baffle welds? Why are the baffles there?
 You would think the bazooka catverter pipe would be enough.
Thanks.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 09:24:11 pm
I think you're talking about the hot pipe in the header. If so, this thread is a good one to look over ]http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,14103.msg150194.html#msg150194]

I used a small chisel to knock it out.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 09:42:53 pm by DanB »
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 09:32:37 pm
I think that is the cat.  My bazooka was just two perforated tubes running parallel inside the big pipe.  If you can find a hole saw the right diameter you can cut the welds with an electric drill.  Or a little harder, use a Dremel tool with a steel cutting bit going one by one.  There were only the 3 welds in the last quarter inch of pipe holding mine in.  It was pretty easy to remove.
You'll need to rejet after removing it.  It's pretty restrictive and since the carb is jetted lean to begin with, you're going to be way way lean.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 09:54:15 pm
Perfect!
Thanks DanB , D the D !

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 07:34:20 am
 No cat was used in the late Iron Barrel and AVL. It was a length of small diameter overly restrictive perforated pipe commonly refereed to as a hot tube or hot pipe affixed in the last foot or so of the exhaust pipe. The stock muffler was restrictive too.

Supposedly there is a cat in the muffler of the UCE but I have not cut one open to verify.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 10:36:48 pm
     I just did this yesterday. When I changed silencers (twice) & tuned this beast last year I should have removed the hot tube, but I didn't. Now I'll have to tune again. I don't care. I like tearing stuff apart just about as much as riding & the weather's been sh*tty.

Anyway - here's what the "hot tube" cat converter looks like. It's just a tube with holes. It took an easy 1/2 hour to slice it out with a Dremel & a little cutting wheel.

I cleaned up the head end also. The gasket was cemented in like concrete. Now I have to wait for new gaskets (I ordered 2) to arrive (stupid-shouldn'ta done it 'til I had a gasket in my hand).

P.S.: I love this bike.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 10:41:39 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 01:20:52 am
Thanks 2CV,
I ordered a jet kit from CMW.
Don't want to start messing with exhaust till I get my jets. I didn't think to order a jug to hedder gasket.
I have a drimel tool, was thinking of trying to remove the "hot tube" while still on the motorcycle to save the gasket.

Thanks for the pictures.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 01:35:14 am
Good move REpozer.  If it goes way lean (and it will) you won't be able to ride it until you start trying richer jets.  Best to have the jets on hand.  Plenty of threads on that as most of us have done it.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 02:38:29 pm
Tooseevee,

Like that exhaust wrap!  I've been thinking about doing it as well. What did you use (tan, 1 inch)? Do you have a pic with it on the bike?
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 09:06:50 pm
Tooseevee,

Like that exhaust wrap!  I've been thinking about doing it as well. What did you use (tan, 1 inch)? Do you have a pic with it on the bike?

I don't remember what the color was called. I ordered it (with a roll of black) long before I even had the Enfield. Used the black & had that on the shelf. It may have been called White, it may have been called Tan.

This tape is 2" wide overlapped an inch. Wrap FROM the muffler end TO the head end. It looks better. Wet the tape & stretch it as you wrap. It's WAY easier with the pipe off the bike.

Here's a picture: 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:15:30 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 09:36:50 pm
Tooseevee,

This is where I bought my tape:

http://www.designengineering.com/catalog/design-engineering-inc/exhaust-wraps-accessories

and yes, it's called Tan.

J&P also has it & it's probably cheaper.

Here's what it looks like with a Sportster muffler. It's a totally open pipe with holes & baffling in the outer circumference. Sounds totally different than with the '60s or '70s Brit bottle silencer in the other picture:

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:39:18 pm by tooseevee »

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 03:36:27 am
Thanks tooseevee!  Bike looks nice!
2006 AVL Electra