Author Topic: Riding in the rain/on wet, oily roads  (Read 10194 times)

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 06:34:33 pm
Even shaving cream in a pinch.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 06:36:14 pm
Rain-X is NOT recommended on plastic! There are other defoggers out there, including spit and dishwashing liquid
Bare

Interesting.  I did not know that.  Nor has it ever had any adverse effects for me other than doing it's job.  What do you use Bare?

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 06:43:22 pm
Spit works in a pinch, but usually use dishwashing liquid. I have some other stuff around here, but honestly I don't know where it is, or even what it is. Stuff I got at the IMS Show years ago from the guys who like to clean your glasses. As I recall, it does work. I think it's in one of my old tank bags!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 12:21:37 am
When riding in the rain, beware of high speeds and hard braking.

When a car turns on a wet road it has four tires working to guide it so if one starts to slip it is never noticed.  With a bike, if either tire starts to slip and the rider isn't prepared for it,  down it goes.
It is also surprisingly easy to lock up the front wheel if heavy braking is used in the wet.
Once that wheel stops turning and starts skidding the bike will almost instantly throw itself and the rider to the tarmac.

In my over 45 years of riding I've only dropped my bike a few times.
With the exception of the anal orifice that changed lanes into me all of the other times were due to water on the road and me breaking the rules I mentioned above.
(Yes, the heavy braking was to avoid some idiot in a cage each time.)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 02:15:27 am
Yep Sir!  I locked up the front wheel once in the rain and luckily, as the bike was laying down, I just stepped off.  I was only going about 15 to 20 mph to start, maybe down to 5 when I stepped off.  I couldn't hold her up without hitting a car.  Not good luck, I was going too fast for a wet, slick parking lot with cars maneuvering about like idiots when someone pulled out in front of me.  I wasn't cautious enough.  I was a lucky idiot.
1975 XLCH

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 02:59:13 am
The Irish cut a Potato in half & rub Potato juice on interior glass/plastic to fight mist. That is when they have a Potato.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 03:04:37 am
Divers use potatoes too, but spit is easier to carry w with you :)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 03:12:12 am
The Irish cut a Potato in half & rub Potato juice on interior glass/plastic to fight mist. That is when they have a Potato.

As the man said, "THIS is why I love this forum!"

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: July 11, 2013, 04:03:08 am
And you stuff half the potato in your buddy's exhaust pipe and laugh drunkenly as he kicks and kicks....
1975 XLCH

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 05:19:06 am
There is a product I use when Scuba diving, which I do very frequently, its called "Spit" anti fog. I use this on my MC Helmet, only every other month, andits awesome. ( whilst diving, it has to be used before every dive though).
www.jawsproducts.com.
Worth every penny costs about 7 bucks.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

MrktStrtMyhm

• Scooter
  • Bob n' Weave
Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 04:02:37 pm
Good tips from everyone! I'll look into the K70 tires as an upgrade. I'd really like to be able to do my own work on my bike (studying the shop manual like crazy) but I don't have any experience at all so I'm a little cautious. I'd rather not take it to the dealer who estimated me $250 for my first check up @ 300-500 miles.
2013 B5 Bullet 500

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 04:29:04 pm
Maintenance on these bikes is easy and simplistic.  Just do your research on what you're about perform and you should be fine.  I recommend you pick up Pete Snidal's repair manual for the Bullets.  It will greatly expand your knowledge about your bike and walks you thru many of the various repairs required for basic maintenance and even advanced repairs like replacing the cylinder and head.  And if you have any questions, just ask here!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 05:01:18 pm
MrktStrtMyhm -

I was in the same boat - some car wrenching experience but no moto at all. I've heard mixed reviews about the Snidal manual as relates to the UCE bikes, but it turns out that the same thing can be said about the current factory UCE book! I bought the latter anyway, along with the parts catalog and the B&W wiring poster (all from NFG when I spotted them on sale).  They've been invaluable for my home service work, but not as valuable as this forum!

I've changed my engine and fork oil, replaced my drive sprocket and chain, made some electrical mods, swapped my seat for a solo and added a rack, upgraded my rear shocks and even removed and repaired the swing arm I busted in the process!  I'd still be scratching my head without the help I've found here...

I've learned a ton, had fun and made some new friends along the way - what more could you ask for?

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 08:51:37 pm
The first 15-20 minutes of rain are the most dangerous, especially early in the season.  During this time all the oil on the road comes up and makes it extremely slippery.  Pull over and wait this out, then head out cautiously.
Scott

+1

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 09:00:39 pm
Rain X is isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) with enough sulfuric acid to drop the pH to 2.

You can make your own for cheap if you have access to a lab.

Put isoprop in a beaker with a mechanical stirrer. Put in probe from pH meter. Drip in concentrated H2SO4 until pH =2.

Voila, isopropyl sulfate, also called RainX.