Author Topic: First Oil Change Questions  (Read 3539 times)

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 12:55:39 am
@barenekd
+1 on the warranty, I had only 206 miles when I got my bike.. But I don't believe that my warranty was valid because it was considered used...
Both Scottie and Bare have been on this forum for long enough to basically know the rules. In my "state of California"....   :D I can bloody well do my oil changes as long as I can show them receipts of the oil, the filters ect..along with a book in which I document every single thing I do, and that will not void any warranty...... just saying.. ;)
Cheers.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 01:19:50 am
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which is enforced by the Federal Trade Commission makes it illegal for a company to make a warranty void if the vehicle was serviced by another person or company.  That boils down to them saying that the owner can do his/her own service.

They must keep records of the supplies and use fluids/parts that are correct for the servicing.

The company/dealer can void the warranty if there is any damage done during the servicing though so, for instance, if the oil drain plug was cross-threaded or stripped out, that could void the warranty that would cover the damaged parts.

Of course, this law applies to the people in the U.S.A. only.  The people in other countries need to check on their laws about this before they can assume their safe.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 04:09:37 am
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which is enforced by the Federal Trade Commission makes it illegal for a company to make a warranty void if the vehicle was serviced by another person or company.  That boils down to them saying that the owner can do his/her own service.

They must keep records of the supplies and use fluids/parts that are correct for the servicing.

The company/dealer can void the warranty if there is any damage done during the servicing though so, for instance, if the oil drain plug was cross-threaded or stripped out, that could void the warranty that would cover the damaged parts.

Of course, this law applies to the people in the U.S.A. only.  The people in other countries need to check on their laws about this before they can assume their safe.
Yep Sir!  Just keep receipts and a record book of everything.  Even the oil you use to top off during break-in.  I think our host understands people not driving 200 miles for amounts to an oil change and look over.  But he does have to protect himself from the buffoons who would ignore service requirements then claim foul.  It's only fair we understand that.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Dazzler

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 09:28:46 am
In Australia the first service, 500km, is complimentary.  No help to you I know however I was told to expect around two hours for the dealer to do the work.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 01:41:52 am
first service here free before they bend you over, then 300 for service which is why i do em myself. Importer told me i may void warranty doing it myself, but whatever. im gonna do a new oil change today just for the hell of it. I think the first service is very important though and if i were you id take my time or take it somewhere cheaper. dont give the $300 service dude a cent.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 04:59:30 am
spend your cash on a better spark plug

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 03:35:56 pm
BadDP, you sound like you have things under control...
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 05:09:01 pm
@baddp..how did the oil change go..
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

BadDP

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 06:46:28 pm
The oil change hasn't happened. I will be ordering the kit to do it myself. I did call them back and ask for a price breakdown. Magically the price dropped to $200. They still don't have an appointment for a few weeks. Now I'm trying to figure out howthe pillion seat comes off to put new bags on.

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 09:02:16 pm
NFgear sells a kit with stuff for 5 oil changes for a decent price. Order that and do it yourself for like , 25 bucks.

BadDP

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 09:51:10 pm
Gypsyjon, that's the kit I plan on grabbing.

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 10:11:44 pm
BadDP, I have 5 sets of everything from the NField kit, it'll take me forever to use it up. Happy to drop a set in the mail to you (from NYC) and you'll have it Monday. Just send me a private message with your address. You'll have to buy your own oil though. :-)

Oil change was easy. Even I could handle it with no trouble and I'd never changed my oil before.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]