Author Topic: First Oil Change Questions  (Read 3541 times)

BadDP

• Scooter
on: July 09, 2013, 08:09:23 pm
Hello!!! I just bought a 2010 C5 two weeks ago.  It was brand new with only 19 factory miles.  Obviously I have to do the 300 mile service/oil change.  I feel like the price I was quoted to do the work seemed a bit high.  I could be nuts but does $250 sound like a lot?

Ekatus Atimoss

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 08:14:01 pm
Even if it is a full inspection (check list for 300mls/500km service escapes me) - it's expensive. I've paid between 110,- and 130,- EUR (~140 - ~160 USD) for the service. But then, this is for Germany (labour is the biggest item on the invoice)

regards
Michael
dopo notte, atra e funesta, splende in ciel più vago il sole e di gioia empie la terra
2012 C5 built for comfort, not for speed (click for pictures)

BadDP

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 08:17:51 pm
Thanks Ekatus, it seemed a touch steep.  I am also wondering what could possibly take them 4 hours.

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 08:20:07 pm
looking for their ass with both hands?
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

BadDP

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 08:33:40 pm
no bs I am starting to agree with you.  On the other hand with a 2 year warranty it is worth the money and the time.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 08:36:21 pm
No kidding.
Way too much.
 :o
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 08:45:18 pm
Hello!!! I just bought a 2010 C5 two weeks ago.  It was brand new with only 19 factory miles.  Obviously I have to do the 300 mile service/oil change.  I feel like the price I was quoted to do the work seemed a bit high.  I could be nuts but does $250 sound like a lot?
Look on YouTube for singh5g videos, he shows you how to do an oil change..first call CMW our host and purchase the 5 change oil kit from them.. Of course watch the YouTube videos first..it's very easy to do...I did it myself and had no prior knowledge if any oil change. Save a lot of money...
Cheers
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

BadDP

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 08:51:27 pm
Bulletman, my only concern is will doing it myself void the warranty?

Ekatus Atimoss

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 09:14:04 pm
Bulletman, my only concern is will doing it myself void the warranty?

Yes, it may void your warranty. I'd come back to them and have EVERY single minute explained what they do with the bike and why it is taking that amount of time. Tell them the service is expensive beyond reason. Maybe there is a "benchmark" on how many hours a service / 1st service usually is allowed to take. And ask them to not using gold dust or hand massaging the tires...

good luck and all the best
Michael
dopo notte, atra e funesta, splende in ciel più vago il sole e di gioia empie la terra
2012 C5 built for comfort, not for speed (click for pictures)

BadDP

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 09:22:28 pm
THANK YOU everyone for the input.  I am getting the feeling the Royal Enfield club is a small one, that seems to stick together.  I am very happy to be a part of it.  Now its time to figure out saddle bags.  I have a thought Bulgarian Medical Shoulder Bags.  But now I think I am hijacking my own thread. 

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 09:27:13 pm
The 300 mile service should involve checking over everything on the bike to make sure it's ok and tightening things up.  This is important since things tend to shake loose when these bikes are new. With the oil change included it would be an hour of labor and parts (filter, o-rings) 2 quarts of oil).

$250 sounds high.  I'd even say $200 sounds high.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 09:33:30 pm
Not in California will it void your warranty. Just keep receipts for oil and the other stuff that you may buy for the bike as proof that the work was done! I did all my own work on my Enfield including most of the warranty work. I think the only thing they did was replace the sprag clutch. It was cold here then and I didn't feel like freezing my butt off in the garage! That ride home as the last time I rode it before the crash!
But just to keep on the safe side, just let your dealer know what you are planning on doing.
I talked to my Moto Guzzi dealer and he has cleared me to do my own work, too.
My RE Dealer want about $135 for the 300 mile check. $250 sounds like a modern bike dealer that gets his $100/hr shop rate
As far tightening everything up goes, you should grab a tube of blue loctite and do it yourself. that way you know it's done right! The dealer isn't going to loctite anything!
Bare
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:36:27 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

BadDP

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 10:01:56 pm
Considering they don't have a time slot for another 2 weeks I am going to call and ask them if I can just do it myself.  If I can keep an 85 Suzuki GN250 running with parts from a Ford Focus I am sure I can tighten EVERY bolt and change the oil.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 10:08:24 pm
Check the chain tension and rear brake adjustment while you're at it and you should be just fine ;)

BadDP

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 10:19:01 pm
Scotty I adjusted the rear brake at a light riding home the day I bought it.  The resistance in the pedal was almost non existent. As for the chain I was I was going to take care of that tonight considering it was getting a little loose.  So basically I planned to do, or have done half their job.  Oh right I went over the entire bike with a torque wrench Sunday after reading about stuff thumping loose.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 12:55:39 am
@barenekd
+1 on the warranty, I had only 206 miles when I got my bike.. But I don't believe that my warranty was valid because it was considered used...
Both Scottie and Bare have been on this forum for long enough to basically know the rules. In my "state of California"....   :D I can bloody well do my oil changes as long as I can show them receipts of the oil, the filters ect..along with a book in which I document every single thing I do, and that will not void any warranty...... just saying.. ;)
Cheers.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 01:19:50 am
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which is enforced by the Federal Trade Commission makes it illegal for a company to make a warranty void if the vehicle was serviced by another person or company.  That boils down to them saying that the owner can do his/her own service.

They must keep records of the supplies and use fluids/parts that are correct for the servicing.

The company/dealer can void the warranty if there is any damage done during the servicing though so, for instance, if the oil drain plug was cross-threaded or stripped out, that could void the warranty that would cover the damaged parts.

Of course, this law applies to the people in the U.S.A. only.  The people in other countries need to check on their laws about this before they can assume their safe.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 04:09:37 am
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which is enforced by the Federal Trade Commission makes it illegal for a company to make a warranty void if the vehicle was serviced by another person or company.  That boils down to them saying that the owner can do his/her own service.

They must keep records of the supplies and use fluids/parts that are correct for the servicing.

The company/dealer can void the warranty if there is any damage done during the servicing though so, for instance, if the oil drain plug was cross-threaded or stripped out, that could void the warranty that would cover the damaged parts.

Of course, this law applies to the people in the U.S.A. only.  The people in other countries need to check on their laws about this before they can assume their safe.
Yep Sir!  Just keep receipts and a record book of everything.  Even the oil you use to top off during break-in.  I think our host understands people not driving 200 miles for amounts to an oil change and look over.  But he does have to protect himself from the buffoons who would ignore service requirements then claim foul.  It's only fair we understand that.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Dazzler

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 09:28:46 am
In Australia the first service, 500km, is complimentary.  No help to you I know however I was told to expect around two hours for the dealer to do the work.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 01:41:52 am
first service here free before they bend you over, then 300 for service which is why i do em myself. Importer told me i may void warranty doing it myself, but whatever. im gonna do a new oil change today just for the hell of it. I think the first service is very important though and if i were you id take my time or take it somewhere cheaper. dont give the $300 service dude a cent.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 04:59:30 am
spend your cash on a better spark plug

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 03:35:56 pm
BadDP, you sound like you have things under control...
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 05:09:01 pm
@baddp..how did the oil change go..
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

BadDP

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 06:46:28 pm
The oil change hasn't happened. I will be ordering the kit to do it myself. I did call them back and ask for a price breakdown. Magically the price dropped to $200. They still don't have an appointment for a few weeks. Now I'm trying to figure out howthe pillion seat comes off to put new bags on.

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 09:02:16 pm
NFgear sells a kit with stuff for 5 oil changes for a decent price. Order that and do it yourself for like , 25 bucks.

BadDP

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 09:51:10 pm
Gypsyjon, that's the kit I plan on grabbing.

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 10:11:44 pm
BadDP, I have 5 sets of everything from the NField kit, it'll take me forever to use it up. Happy to drop a set in the mail to you (from NYC) and you'll have it Monday. Just send me a private message with your address. You'll have to buy your own oil though. :-)

Oil change was easy. Even I could handle it with no trouble and I'd never changed my oil before.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]