Author Topic: Camping Trip! Yay!  (Read 2002 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 08, 2013, 03:36:38 pm
Getting ready to head out to the Mountains for 2 days.  We're going to my special spot outside of Deckers, CO.  It's very quiet and desolate there and no cell phone reception, tho if you take a 20 minute drive into "town" you can get a signal.    :D   

Here's a pic of my spot that I took last year.  I'll be sure to post more pics when I return.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 12:14:31 am
Scottie, that is a beautiful spot! How's the fishing there? Also, watch out for Sasquatches! cochi ;D   

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 05:48:01 pm
Cochi - The trout fishing is real good, but the nearest spot from there is about a 30 minute drive or more..

But, we had to cut the trip short this morning.  I was woken up at 6:30 to a bear trying to help himself to breakfast.  I heard something trying to get into our tote of food and yelled to scare it off, thinking it was one of the coyotes that was hollowing at 4am.  I waited a moment then peeked out the tent window and didn't see anything so I stepped out to investigate.  Here one of the totes had been pulled out with a big bear print on the lid.  "Shit!  There's a bear here!" I yelled to my wife, still half asleep.  I started looking around and sure enough there was about 180-200 pound brown black bear (I've been doing my research toady and it turns out we only have black bears in Colorado, but are usually brown or cinnamon in color) about 50 yards across the creek.  I grabbed my dogs' food and water dish and started clanking them together and yelling and the bear ran off.

My wife came out of the tent and I told her "Maybe we should pack up and leave after lunch".  Well, before I could even boil a pot of water for coffee, I caught him out of the corner of my eye coming back down the ridge towards us about 60 yards out.  I started clanking and yelling as loud as I could (which is pretty damn loud   ;) ) and I looked at my wife and we agreed we needed to pack up and leave.  Crazy part is, I've been to this area over 6 times in the last 3 years and have NEVER seen a bear out in this area.  I spent the next hour or so packing up with my Cold Steel Tanto knife strapped to my side.  I told my wife I need to go to Gander Mountain and trade in my bow for a 45.  I know 1 shot in the air would scare just about anything off for good.  (And after further review, apparently bears that have been "humanized" are the most likely to attack and often  need to be destroyed.)

I'll post a few pics when after I get the car unloaded and eat some breakfast.

Scottie
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 08:38:09 pm by Scottie J »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 06:31:31 pm
So, as promised, here are a few pics.  Enjoy!

The Bear Print.  You can see the paw prints at the bottom center and bottom right corner.  The paws are exactly 5" wide.  Glad I didn't shake hands with him.

The Campsite

A View Of The Campsite From Across The Creek

Our Bulldog Louie Playing In The Creek

Lou Loves Putting His Head Underwater To Pull Out Sticks

Another View Of The Creek

Scottie

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:22:32 pm
Very nice spot! Does take me back to my living in Wyoming days! Luv your dog!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 10:54:00 pm
Scottie, sorry you had to cut your camping short, but you made the right decision! There's nothing like a bear to surprise and possibly make a meal of you to scare the crap out of you! By the way, that's a beautiful, "Bully". We lost ours about 3 years ago. She was a great dog. We really miss her. They are great dogs. cochi ;D

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 11:29:20 pm
Louie is your text book bulldog, cute, lovable and stubborn as shit.  Lol  He is a great dog and he loves going camping.  Of course, he wants to be everyones best friend, which wouldn't go over well with a bear.  I went to Gander Mountain to ask about proper protection for the mountains and told them my story.  I guess it's not the black bears you have to worry about out here, it's the mountain lions.  Apparently those guys will sneak up behind you without you even knowing it and attack you from behind.  Regardless, I think I'm going to sell my Quest G5 bow and buy a hand gun before I go back out.  I'm looking at the Taurus Judge Public Defender.  It's a 5 round revolver that shoots both .410 rounds and .45 longs.  That ought to do the trick.  My good friend had one that he keeps next to his bed.  He keeps it loaded with 3 .410 self defense rounds and 2 .45 long rounds.  Who ever breaks into his house is in for a surprise!

Scottie

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 04:53:30 am
Looks like a beautiful spot. I don't think your dog know his job, he is supposed to put the bear up a tree.

For about 13 years I lived in central interior of British Columbia. For many years we didn't have phone, electricity, or running water (we told the kids to go run and get us water). I came to be fairly calm around bears, I still respected them but I wasn't too worried about them. I chased a bear out of the yard once wearing nothing but shorts and steel-toed boots, long haired hippie screaming and swinging a garden hoe. That was enough to send the bear running. My kids have chased a bear on their bikes (at least once that I know of).

That the bear didn't seem to have any fear of you is a bad sign. If they become habituated to humans and start looking at camps as a sign of food it leads to bad situations for the bear. It is important to practice clean camping techniques food should be locked up in a car or in a bear bag and strung up in a tree. A fed bear is a dead bear.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 05:11:21 am
REdmonton said what I was thinking.   We've always strung food from a tree branch, and kept trash downwind and a little out of camp, but in sight so you know if a critter is there.   Got to be a good foolproof container to keep the raccoons and riff raff out.  They're smart!  I swear they can pick a lock.
Glad it all turned out good.   Lou looks pretty laid back.  I never met a bulldog that didn't love everybody.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 04:33:27 pm
I knew there are bears in the Rocky Mountains, but like I said, in 3 years of camping in this area all I ever saw was a single elk, tiny trout and heard coyotes a few times.  Now that I've encountered a bear there I will be sure to use proper clean camping techniques, and I'll make sure next time I'm armed.  I guess I was surprised the first time I heard the bear and scared him off, but it was when he came back thru the second time that had me worried.  And I'm surprised that Lou didn't alert us when the near was in the camp, he went NUTS when he heard the coyote pups.  What a crazy trip.

Scottie