Author Topic: Kevlar Jeans Anyone ?  (Read 7176 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 08, 2013, 03:57:37 am
Has anyone tried Kevlar lined jeans sold as 'Draggin Jeans' by Fast Company of NC (US). There is also an Australian company selling them who promote it as Made in Australia.

Then there is 'Drayko Riding Jeans' lined with a combination of Kevlar and Dyneema, another high strength fiber.

Some of them have no provision of knee pads while others do have it.

Are they warm or breathe easily ? Any skin allergic reaction to the synthetic fiber ? Easy to wash ?  How are they for size, fit and do they shrink ? is any brand better than the other ?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 04:24:15 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

fxrskrsa

• Scooter
  • Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber.
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:53:49 am
I have been wearing 'Hood' Kevlar jeans for a couple of years, and they are great, they have pockets for knee protectors and the kevlar lining covers all the vulnerable areas. I bought them about an inch too large, and washed them on the hot wash, and they now fit a treat.. highly recommended !! The only thing I cannot tell you about, is how they slide... As I have not 'tested' that out and do not intend to :)
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 12:04:35 am
I had the opportunity to go to the Isle of Man this past June for the TT. Kevlar jeans seem to be really popular in Europe. I saw  lots of folks wearing them and several stores in the town of Douglas had them . The people I spoke to, who were using them, really liked them. However, they also hadn't tested the slide factor. I'm thinking of getting a pair. cochi :)   

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 01:42:35 pm
+ 1 for Hood jeans. Heavy denim and tough as old boots. They also have more Kevlar lining than any others I've seen - the whole of the inside all the way down past the knees.
I bought mine the day after I bought my Enfield and never ride without them.
Have a look at the testimonials on the Hood website -

http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/index.html

(how do they stitch the Kevlar...? armour-piercing needles...? )
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:52:20 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 02:05:56 pm
(how do they stitch the Kevlar...? armour-piercing needles...? )

It all depends upon the fibers and weave, but sharp needles, like with any other fabric, push between the threads in the weave. It's not really bullet proof, it's slow and blunt bullet resistant and depends upon weave and layering to get that affect.  It's best use is stopping shrapnel from passing completely through you and wounding your mates.  :o
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 02:50:54 pm
I thought it must be something like that.
I know the emergency services have a hell of a job cutting through the stuff when trying to remove the jeans after an accident.. :o

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 03:12:31 pm
Just as a comparison basis, any Cordura that is 1000 denier or higher is considered equivalent to motorcycle leathers in abrasion protection. So, heavy Cordura is pretty good too.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 09:13:36 pm
Cordura is great. I generally prefer it over leather, it's usually water resistant, has a better comfort range in varying temps, and does hold up well sliding on tarmac. However, it doesn't have the 'Style" of levis which makes the Kevlar Jeans popular, which in themselves, don't hold up to tarmac well, but the Kevlar does. But when you are parked  and not posing at your local motorcycle hangout, the levis look much classier!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 07:12:45 am
I'll take Kevler over Cordura any day for it's flame resistance.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 07:45:22 am
Kevlar is also more breathable than most cordura in my experience...cordura comes 99.9% of the time with an impermeable inner coating.

One manufacturer of mountain bike clothing used to use uncoated cordura, and it was awesome.  Then her supplier ceased to make the uncoated stuff and she closed down operations.  Haven't seen it anywhere else, but I loved the fabric.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 10:42:05 pm
You guys are the best and helped me a lot in understanding Kevlar lined jeans and other fabric Cordura and their comparison with respect to leather.

I was able to find a store that I visited. They had 3 brands of such jeans - DRAYKO, DRAGGIN and SPEED-&-STRENGTH jeans. All of them were in the price range of $100 to $150.

DRAYKO - Designed in Australia (Made in China) - Very well designed, Good cloth, comfortable to wear, fit well.
Kevlar lined at the rear, front/sides knees and sides of legs.  No pockets for pads or armor. They get 4*/5. 

DRAGGIN - Designed in US (Made in US) - Good cloth, comfortable, fit well, deep pockets, good color.
This jean has the least amount of Kevlar coverage - only on rear and front of knees.  No pockets for pads or armor.  Though the company sells pads with Velcro that can be attached to Kevlar  :o. Not well designed.  They get 3*/5.

SPEED/STRENGTH - (Made in Pakistan).  They have Kevlar linning for rear and front of knees and also cloth pocket for thin knee pad - Idea is good but I was not impressed by quality and reliability.  They get 3*/5.

HOOD - (Designed and Made in UK). The store did NOT have these jeans.  But WillW and fxrskrsa have given very good opinion on them. I looked at their website (thanks WillW) and am very impressed.
They have the best design and most coverage for entire leg !! They get 5*/5. 

I  took some pictures of DRAGGIN jeans - front and back.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:06:04 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 11:15:36 pm
What did I buy ?

I was torn between Drayko and Draggin - though for different reasons.

Drayko is unquestionably better in every way but they had Hand Distressed Faded jeans with dark/light lines on them. I wanted something simpler, that looks like regular pants/jeans. So I ended up with Draggin. Will see if it shrinks on washing.

There was also a full sleeve, collar-less, mesh shirt made from 100% Kevlar.

Just a word of caution - Each company has more than one models with different cuts of cloth - straight legged, or baggy, etc. - some of them too wide at the feet (like bell bottom) that can easily get caught on the motorcycle frame / foot pegs.

There is no substitute for actually trying them on your body for fit.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 11:18:38 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 11:30:30 pm
Forgot 1 brand,
The Diamond Gusset Defender
http://store.americangusset.com/defenders.html

I've got 1 pair of gussets and 1 pair of draggin jeans.
The gussets win hands down for comfort, give you more room to store the jewels.
One thing I have noticed is with both of em a 300+ mile day will rub your ass raw. Lots of powder and some seamless sports boxers greatly extend your riding day.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 02:22:03 pm
Thanks for the comparison Singh, thorough as ever.
Here's some pics front & back of the Hood K7 jeans for anyone interested. Heavy denim, £99.99, & pretty darn hot in this heatwave we're currently having in UK... :P

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 05:20:28 pm
What kind of heat wave,.Will?
  I was enjoying upper 20's C. No need for rain gear or long johns.

Think I need some hoodie's.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 05:47:29 pm
 :D Upper 20s definitely constitutes a heatwave by UK standards  8)
We've all gone sun crazy - we didn't have a summer at all last year. Well - a couple of days here & there, but mostly the rain was just a bit warmer for a few weeks.... :(
But yeah, it's so good to get on the bike without piling on all the gear. Even the nights have been warm and I chanced a quick thrash without the helmet the other evening, just a few miles up the road & back. Haven't done that since about 1970!  Wonderful feeling   ;D 8)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 05:49:40 pm by WillW »

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 05:51:01 pm
I will deny that if any UK rozzers are reading this..... ;)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 06:33:47 pm
I just ordered the Hoods with armor. They just look like they are superior in all respects to the American versions. And when they drop that VAT off there's only $15 or $20 difference in then over Draggin Jeans. Besides they list the shortest leg length of any of them which has been my biggest concern. Most American ones I've tried on end up with the armor down the middle of my shin! Cutting off the cuff isn't the answer.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 06:41:17 pm
  I chanced a quick thrash without the helmet the other evening, just a few miles up the road & back. Haven't done that since about 1970!  Wonderful feeling   ;D 8)
Yep, feels intoxicating. I purchased an old skool 3/4 metal flake color helmet ( Taiwan made,..ebay) for those "hot days". Usually wear a full face with screen, cause its so wet and cold here. No helmet or headlight on law here. 
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 07:41:37 am
Has anyone tried Kevlar lined jeans sold as 'Draggin Jeans' by Fast Company of NC (US).

This guy did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUKzAORD35I
No matter where you go, there, you are.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 03:03:30 pm
Yep, feels intoxicating. I purchased an old skool 3/4 metal flake color helmet ( Taiwan made,..ebay) for those "hot days". Usually wear a full face with screen, cause its so wet and cold here. No helmet or headlight on law here. 

I broke down and bought a Skid Lid original half helmet last month.  It's been so hot here I had sweat running into my eyes with my full face and I don't like NOT wearing a helmet.  Since I bought it, I almost never leave home without it.  It's light and comfortable and leaves my face open for the wind.  I got a great price on it too!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 02:39:33 am
There is only one "Original" half helmet, or porridge pot, or pudding bowl!. they are made by Davida. True-to-the-original 40s and 50s stuff down to the cork liner! No new fangled material, nothing. Just the real deal! Nothing else need apply.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 06:24:56 pm
I got my Hood Jeans a couple of days ago, 5 days from ordering to receipt! They are very heavy material! They even fit my squatty body. They offer the shortest leg length available from any of the motorcycle Jeans makers.
Anyway, very happy with them. $190 with armor and shipping.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 07:33:21 pm
I got my Hood Jeans a couple of days ago, 5 days from ordering to receipt! They are very heavy material! They even fit my squatty body. They offer the shortest leg length available from any of the motorcycle Jeans makers.
Bare

Bare
Did you order the same size (waist and inseam) as your other non-riding (casual wear) denims.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 10:54:59 pm
I ordered them a bit shorter than the store bought ones because you can't find them that short at the stores. But the waist is what I usually wear and these fit just comfortably loose. A little room to grow. Not that I want to! A size up or down wouldn't have been good!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 02:03:43 am
The jeans went on a 175 mile ride today, some of it over 100o temps. They were probably a bit warmer that my normal garb, but they were pretty much not regarded on the ride. They were great in their anonomity! The afternoon heat still sucks, though!
In fact, the whole ride wasn't too great as most of it was battling cages on freeways. I went to Malibu for a Guzzi lunch at the Rock store. Once I get into the mountains over there the ride was fun. Three other Guzziists showed and we had a nice visit. A guy from Motociclismo, an Italian motorcycle magazine was there taking pictures and doing an article for the magazine about Guzzis. So we all had our pictures taken with the Guzzis for an article in the September issue!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 05:36:10 am
Bare

Glad to hear that you like Hood jeans and they are worth the money.  It will last several years.

On a side note - finished the video on this topic if anyone is interested. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fZrCa2O4No

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk