Author Topic: A Rare Sight?  (Read 1384 times)

Darvin Jahnke

• Scooter
on: July 08, 2013, 01:53:15 am
The other day I pulled into a gas station on the RE. After paying for my gas I went out to start the bike. I always kick start it and as I was getting things ready I noticed people had stopped to watch. The stars were all in alignment and it started first kick and I got a couple thumbs up. A lot of my bikes are kickers so its not a big deal for me but apparently it is getting to be a rare sight. When you kick start your bike its like you've earned your ride. Anybody can push a button but there's more to kick starting than the actual physical effort required. Each bike is different and requires its own ritual to assure that it will start. Starting requires performing the proper procedures in the right sequence to achive the desired result-a running engine. Then you have earned your ride.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 03:45:03 am
You get another thumbs up from me.  ;)

You're right about kick starting.  There's been a few times I've walked out of a store and someone was there admiring my bike waiting for me to kick it over.  And when it starts on the first kick, I always get a thumbs too.  Good times.   :)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 07:35:01 pm
This chart makes its way here about once a year. Not sure where it started, but it's gREat. Congrats on beating the odds.

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 07:51:33 pm
Kinda like, if you have a 50/50 chance for choosing something, There's a 90% chance you'll being wrong!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 10:56:30 pm
boggy that chart is right on the money.    ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 06:54:42 pm
You know, when I went to the bike show last month, there were a lot of police officers there, as they were doing motorcycle obstacle course demos.  Well, earlier in the day, I was showing someone the electronic ignition conversion and realized that the screws on the trigger plate had come loose (the reasoning behind the random misfire the previous 2 days).  Anyways, I grabbed a screw driver and tightened it up.  In the process, I must have shorted out the fuse, because as I was leaving, a group of about 7 officers were standing there watching me kick it over....  And over.  And over. And over.  Of course 1 guy says "I thought you said it starts right up on the 1st kick."  Hecklers.  After starting fluid had no effect, I realized I wasn't getting spark.  LUCKILY I had a spare fuse.  THEN it started on the 1st kick.  We all had a good laugh and I was on my way.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 04:41:35 am
These are proven facts: Fuses know when people are watching.  Fuses know when it's most inconvenient to blow.
My bike did start one kick in front of a Willie Nelson lookalike wearing colors on a beautiful old knucklehead at midnight last night.  He parked next to me at the grocery store and struck up the usual conversation.  ;D
I'd buy her a beer for starting so quiet and easy in front of him, but she only drinks 87 octane neat, shaken not stirred.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH