Author Topic: Changing C5 headlight  (Read 3346 times)

squire

• Bulleteer
on: July 07, 2013, 10:01:26 pm
I've read every thread on this form including all the headlight threads and I'm still confused!! I want to replace my small stock headlight with the larger one with the hood. Can I just buy the kit or do I need to modify the wiring as I suspect from reading the related threads. As you can tell, I'm mechanically challenged. Do I need other parts besides the kit offered by Hitchcock? TIA

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 10:54:16 pm
You can get the kit. It's an easy swap. There are no wiring changes, however you may need to change the wire connectors to the bulb. But most won't require any changes
While you are in there, you can activate the light switch on the right handlebar switch box. In the right side in the headlight, there is a 4" long jumper wire with a white connector on each end. They is connected into red connectors. pull the white ones out and connect the two red ones together and the switch will work, standard off, parking and headlights. You may or may not have a parking light depending on the head light you get, however the taillight will work.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 01:25:01 am
If you have the three separate wires to each bulb lead rather than one plug, you can tag them to make it easy to keep them straight.  Some people wire in a single auto type connector, but mine wouldn't have room between the Bosch reflector and Speedometer if I did that.
Aiming isn't a big deal.  If you need to you can slide the top a little in our out before tightening it down.  Same with the two screws on the bottom side.  You can file them oval if you need to.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 01:25:50 am
Like bare says, no rewiring is required on the new UCE powered motorcycles.

Unlike most cars that have a single 3 slot plug that connects to the 3 prongs on the bulb, the Royal Enfield has three separate wires.
It is therefore possible to hook them up wrong to the new bulb.

When you make the change, take a digital photo of the existing bulb and wires while they are still connected.  That will give you a good visual reference so you will know how to attach the three wires to the new headlight.

If you don't have a digital camera draw a circle with a short horizontal line right below the 12:00 o'clock position, a short vertical line at the 3:00 o'clock position and another short vertical line at the 9:00 o'clock position.
The 12:00 o'clock position represents the TOP of the light bulb when it is installed.

If you are drawing this 'go by' picture, write the color of the 3 existing wires that are connected to your old bulb.
 I think you will find that the wire at the horizontal 12 o'clock position is tan or light brown.  This is the LOW beam wire.
The wire at the 3 o'clock position will be light green.  This is the HIGH beam wire.
The wire at the 9 o'clock position will be black.  This is the ground or "common" wire.
If I have the colors wrong, use whatever color your wires have.

You may find a gray wire in the casquette.  This is the "parking light" power supply.
My headlight doesn't use this gray wire but some headlights might use it for the small bulb that plugs into the headlight reflector.

If this gray wire is not connected to the bulb, it's a good idea to cover the end of the connector with a piece of black plastic electrical tape.  This wire has power supplied to it whenever the parking or head light is turned on.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 01:31:45 am
Easier to tag them with tape marked "left", "right" "middle" or "bottom".
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 01:56:51 am
Great info, thanks to all who replied!! I'll order it as soon as I can dig it up in the Hitchcock catalog.....apparently not an easy task. Thanks again.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 02:17:26 am
Of course you could also look at the headlights our sponsor sells at Nfieldgear.

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/lighting.html

If you see something at the NFG site you like, call them at 1-800-358-0938

They sometimes don't have things that are shown in their catalog but if you call them they can tell you if this is true.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 03:01:40 am
Hey Squire aren't you in Canada? I got the 7 inch kit and visor from the Royal Enfield Canada. Changing it was dead simple. Take off the old head light, keep track of where each wire goes, switch in the new head light and reattach. The Canadian version also has a second bulb at the bottom there is an obvious spare wire that hooks into that. It really is dead simple.

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 10:02:07 pm
Speaking of bulbs and lights. Mine has had the light change, but the headlight has stopped working, or working correctly. So, if I switch it to the fully on position, the Highbeam light is on all the time, but the light itself is still on pilot with the low light. So, part of the bulb works very faintly. Does this mean the bulb is fried, or I have an electrics problem?

Best.

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 10:04:01 pm
Thanks again to everyone.

REdmonton, I ordered one from the Canadian distributor along with some other things. What purpose does the second bulb serve? Thanks.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 12:34:05 am
kammersangerin
It might just be a bad connection with the low beam wire to the headlight bulb.
Try removing and re-installing the three wires that connect to the three terminals on the bulb.

Those who have the OLDE fashioned Lucas bulb that slides into the headlight reflector like I do might also try removing the bulb from the socket.  I found when I first installed my 7" Lucas headlight that the socket can fail to make an electrical contact with the bulb.
Leave it to Lucas to have a funky bulb socket!  I mean, it only has a few wires and a few springs in the thing. :(

squire:  I believe the second bulb is a parking light that goes into the reflector of the headlight.  It doesn't put out enough light to actually work as a headlight but it's kinda neat to have the whole headlight softly lit when the light switch is in the "parking light" position. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 05:08:25 am
squire:  I believe the second bulb is a parking light that goes into the reflector of the headlight.  It doesn't put out enough light to actually work as a headlight but it's kinda neat to have the whole headlight softly lit when the light switch is in the "parking light" position. :)
+1
I have the same light setup...it can be used as a parking light if you don't want torun the main light during the day.....usually if you're having battery or charging issues...
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 06:07:28 am
The second light is the low beam.
BTW the Canadian dealers are really good guys. I've ridden with them and they were friendly and passionate about the brand.