Author Topic: My first awareness of Royal Enfield.  (Read 5885 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #30 on: July 12, 2013, 06:28:28 pm
I love when people like to throw me a bone and say, "Yeah, well, it's a nice 'in town' bike."  I show them a picture of the bike by the Golden Gate bridge.  I live about 650 miles away.  They usually don't have any more to say after that.  I find the Harley/Starbucks type get especially quiet.

The Triumphs are nice bikes.  They've captured the essence of the vintage while making a wholly modern bike.  There's a good market for that.  The Moto Guzzi is more true to form, much closer to the original it's modeled after in so many ways than the Triumph.  The Enfield is the same bike it always was but with EFI, electronic ignition, disc brakes, and hydraulic lifters.  As my dealer explained it, "They changed what they needed too and left the rest alone."

Scott

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: July 12, 2013, 06:39:04 pm
Bare - Are you still waiting on that plug connector?

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: July 12, 2013, 06:56:51 pm
Yup!! Supposed to be here today. I'll believe it when I see it! It was kinda my fault, the parts guy said he'd order me one last week, and I told him to order it, but no rush as I was going to get one locally. Boy, was that wrong! So, not having found one here, I talked to him Tuesday and he said the one I ordered should be here today, but he'd order one overnight if I wanted him to, but, he wasn't sure how much the overnight would cost, so I declined the offer. I did find a couple of essentially same ones (I hope) at Bike Bandit and ordered them for spares if nothing else!  But they won't be here until next week. I can guarantee I could find one that would work on an Enfield locally! Definitely got a lesson in spark plug connectors! Ah, modern technology!
Bare
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:51:49 am by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: July 12, 2013, 07:09:41 pm
Sounds like my bad luck rubbed off on you.  It sucks waiting on parts.  I got my fingers crossed for you it shows up today.   :D

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #34 on: July 12, 2013, 07:16:42 pm
What connector do you need Bare?

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #35 on: July 12, 2013, 11:11:38 pm
bare
You've got to think "Italian".
Ferrari, Ducati, Alpha Romeo, Moto Guzzi! 
Ah!  The Sport!  The Speed! The Sexiness!  The Wait For Parts!

They say if you own Italian machines, you need three of them.
One waiting for the mechanic.  One waiting for parts.  One to ride/drive.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #36 on: July 12, 2013, 11:23:39 pm
And don't even bother calling Italy for parts in July/August.  Everyone is on vacation :)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: July 13, 2013, 01:00:20 am
I called the shop and they didn't get it in, However, Derrick, the parts guy, said come on down and we'll give you one off a new bike. So, I did. And I'm back in business!
Actually the caps, connectors, boots or whatever you want to call them, they are different in every parts book I looked at, are actually Japanese by NGK! Unless they have a factory in Italy. But, having gone through a lot of NGK catalogs, I never did find a reference to this particularly one, which is neoprene. So it may be a specific Guzzi OEM part. There is a similar one that is made of plastic which is what I ordered from Bike Bandit. I hope they fit so I can have a spare.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com