Author Topic: C5 Military Green Cleaning and Maintenance.  (Read 1113 times)

hime

• Scooter
on: June 30, 2013, 11:04:30 pm
Hello all,

I recently got a 2012 C5 Military Green, I was wondering whats the best way to clean that (beautiful) Matte Finish.

I also have to keep at outside (not many garages in SF), and Im starting to get some oxidation on the forks and engine. What do you recommend to clean that up. I know it will never be perfect but it will be nice to keep it up.

Any other tips and tricks for an enfield newbie?

Thanks everyone!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 11:39:21 pm
I suppose you could try one of the really good automobile waxes?
Not the low cost ones but the high cost ones made for custom cars finishes.

I've had good luck with Meguiar's "Gold Class" but Mothers makes some equally good waxes.  Keep in mind, I own a G5 Deluxe so my bike is gloss black and chrome.
I'm not sure how a high gloss wax will look on a flat finish like your bike has.

Speaking of Military flat finishes, they don't look glossy.  In fact, the duller and crappier they look the more authentic they look.  After all, they aren't trying for high visibility for the enemy to take pot shots at. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 12:43:05 am
Is it Matte or Flat?  There are sealers for flat paints like the flat black hood areas on some sporty cars.  They will protect the paint like wax on gloss paint.  You'll find them in the bigger auto parts stores or specialized auto bling stores that cater to import tuners.  Or online like this:
http://www.drbeasleys.com/shop/car-care-products/matte-car-care.html
Google is your friend (when he's not turning you in to the Feds).
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

hime

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 03:37:41 am
I guess flat. Thanks Ill take a look.  ;D

Lunchbag

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 05:22:17 pm
I have a 2005 Bullet 500 in military green.  I always thought it was called "olive drab" but maybe I'm wrong.  I've used automotive polish on it a couple times and it looked fine.

I've noticed over time the various green painted components have faded unevenly.  The tank is still pretty uniform but the panniers are each partially faded in a way that has no explanation and no relation to my use of polish.  It might look better if I give it another coat but I've been lazy over the last couple years.  Instead of caring for it I've chosen to take Arizoni's perspective that it actually looks better when it gets worse.  This is all nitpicking really...it always has looked great and it still does.  It's a blessing of the military version that it will age gracefully into character.

When I move later this year I may not have a garage, so I'll invest in a cover to protect it from rain and dew, or put it under some type of roof.  I suppose you've already done that. 

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 05:40:56 pm
The older models aren't flat green, they're low gloss.  So regular wash and wax works OK.  The newer ones have flat paint, which requires a flat sealant to maintain the intended look.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 09:36:51 pm
If you store the bike outside without a cover that would explain the uneven fading.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King