Author Topic: 2014 cafe racer  (Read 4344 times)

iowarider

• Bulleteer
on: July 06, 2013, 07:20:27 am
Just checking to see if it has gotten to dealers yet? Seems it's been talked about over a year. Released to the public, and then nothing. At least I can't seem to find anything on it except a press release. No first ride or anything.
82, Honda CX500
82  Honda GL500
2004 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 09:29:59 pm
There is nothing to find.
I talked to a salesman at a dealer yesterday and he gave me a song and dance about waiting for a call from the distributor.  Not sure how long he's been waiting, but it's why I'm riding a Moto Guzzi V7 Racer now.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

iowarider

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 04:10:07 pm
Thanks, I was thinking that was the case.  We must think alike. I started on an 82 cx 500c. Liked the transverse mounting. Drooled over many a guzzi. Probably would have one, but there is only one dealer I know of in Iowa. He carries maybe three bikes one used and appears to be ready to retire. Same way with the Royal enfield. At Least the dealer is relatively close and is one of the best dealers to find parts for retro and new triumphs. Does not carry full line of Enfields, but can and will get anything  you want.

Oh well, good luck on your ride. Keep me up to date on how you like it.
82, Honda CX500
82  Honda GL500
2004 Honda Shadow Spirit 750

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 05:22:01 pm
Here is the gist of what we told the dealers last week. The Cafe will be available in the US sometime this Fall. It will have it's official world debut overseas and then we will get some.

We have a bike at an emissions testing lab in California being tested now. They test for both EPA and CARB. Once they are finished (believe it or not they hire a rider to ride on an approved course for mileage accumulation to measure any degradation of the emission system.). When they are finished the applications and test results are sent to EPA and CARB. It is up to them as far as how long they take to issue a certificate. 
I have ridden the final version and it is a wonderful bike. It is gorgeous and really handles well. The frame, (modern day featherbed design) suspension, brakes etc. were designed by Harris Engineering in the UK. They do this same work for some of the worlds best high performance bike manufacturers. You will see some branded components you will be familiar with and recognize as world class.

The price has not been announced but I am told that it will be affordable. If you are interested I suggest you go to your dealer right away and get on their list. This bike is going to sell very well globally and demand may outstrip supply. Our allocation is a direct reflection of  our "waiting list'.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 08:37:15 pm
As the picture shows, RE has made at least 3 of them and their being tested on the highways in India.

Note the three different seat styles.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 08:39:02 pm
Please note that in the article these pictures came from they said it had the shift on the right hand side. That is NOT the case. Like all bikes now it shifts on the left.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 08:50:36 pm
Nice looking bikes!
I like them.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 09:18:11 pm
Me, too. Shame they arent' here yet! Cost them a sale!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 10:15:22 pm
I like the version on the right the best, with the black rear cowl.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 01:20:41 am
I like the middle one with the red tail.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 01:30:15 am
Definitely an exciting time and the build-up of hoopla has got to be unlike anything the factory in India has ever experienced. I would suspect the aftermarket is frothing at the mouth with thoughts of getting a slice of the action! The core of the bike looks great, a great platform to personalize. But best of all, there is nothing else like it. Game, set, match I think!   :)

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 02:49:39 am
I want one.But I am not gonna give a dealer any money for a bike he aint got.If this is real,probly is,there will be enough for all who want to have one.Sooner or later.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 06:01:34 am

...The price has not been announced but I am told that it will be affordable. If you are interested I suggest you go to your dealer right away and get on their list. This bike is going to sell very well globally and demand may outstrip supply. Our allocation is a direct reflection of  our "waiting list'.

The request does have a "catch 22" ring to it.
Signing up will set the quota for the number of  bikes delivered but without knowing the price one is signing up for there may be a lot of people unsigning when they are hit with a high price bombshell they weren't expecting.

It almost sounds like "Business As Usual" in India where you pay your money and then have to wait for 6-10 months for them to deliver.  Of course sense they have your money there's little incentive to deliver but that's the subject of another topic.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 11:57:43 am
Has anyone checked with their dealer to find out if "getting on the list" included dropping any cash?

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 01:35:20 pm

I'll have the one in the back, Please....
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill