Author Topic: Lock, Saftey Wire use  (Read 3894 times)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
on: July 06, 2013, 04:25:56 am
Do any of you use safety wire, or twist wire to hold nuts, bolts, fasteners, ...bits?

Has anyone drilled a hole in bolt/ nut head to accept this wire? And how did you drill it?
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 05:14:34 am
I haven't used it on my bike but the company I retired from used it all over the place on the jet engines and gas turbines we built.  (They are even better at loosening nuts than Royal Enfields, if you can believe that.)
One of the more common locations for lock wire was on the tubing nuts and fittings.
Most of the other nuts we used were self locking such as MS21043 which we used by the thousands.

There were a few applications where we needed lock wired bolts and nuts that were made out of exotic materials which were not commonly available.
For these, we built a special drilling machine which would clamp on the hexagon.
Hardened drill bushings were located in the clamping jaws.  These bushings had the end that would be next to the bolt head or nut ground off flush with the clamping surface of the jaws.

This was needed because at the start of the drilling, the small drill bits were asked to make an interrupted cut where it was cutting only on one side.
With the bushing ends ground flush with the jaws surfaces, they would provide the support for the non-cutting side of the bit while this was happening.

The drill motors were special too.
With the small drill bits cutting some very hard to machine materials like Inconel718 and Rene'41 it was important to limit the speed and power being used to prevent burning up the small drill bits but also preventing the work hardening that can occur if the drill were to stop cutting even for an instant. 
To do this special torque and speed sensors were employed.

My advice to anyone who is considering using lock wire is they need to look for bolts and nuts that have already been drilled.  The big factories can afford the special equipment that's needed to produce these items.

If you intend to make some special jaws with holes to guide the drill bits  plan on buying lots of drills.  You're going to need them. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 05:57:59 am
Right. I got the idea from airplanes too. But aircraft have most fasteners drilled from the manufacture.
I want to drill my three oil drain plugs, so I can twist wire the 3 together.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 06:20:32 pm
It's not too hard in a drill press with a steady vice.  You need to start the hole 90 degrees to the flat, use a mill end, or grind with a Dremel tool to get it started.  Then, drill across the corner.  You can actually drill across two corners or across the center and still do a workable safety wire from bolt to bolt.  Short drill bits are better than long ones.  Skinny little bits want to walk.
Once you're through the hard surface it isn't too bad, although some bolt heads are hard all the way through.  Use Doo-Drill or some drilling/cutting oil.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 11:47:41 pm
Thanks D the D. After looking on line at various jigs and prices,...I need a drill press and vice to do this. A friend has these.
Im pretty sure the oil drain bolts will be "soft" metal.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 12:49:36 pm
All race vehicles need to have many bolts and nuts drilled and safety wired.

The Badger had safety wire all over it.
You can do it with a drill press and vise.
It helps to have the special safety wire twisting pliers too.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 08:46:54 pm
I hate those pliers, some people swear by them, many inspectors swear at them.  ;D
1975 XLCH

fxrskrsa

• Scooter
  • Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber.
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 11:30:07 am
Hi Folks

The previous owner of my Sixty-5 had drilled the drain bolts as seen in the attached pictures. Hope this of some use.
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 04:24:54 pm
They drilled through the face, which will work.  The twists should run all the way to the bolt head and shouldn't be too tight a wrap.  The top plug is in a good spot.  The wire from the top to the center plug really should go more to the left side of the center plug head and the bottom one is workable.   The wire should be twisted nearer to the bolt head and the little free end tucked under a bit.  The idea is that if a bolt tries to loosen the wire puts tension on it pulling clockwise.  You won't lose any of those plugs on the road though I can't let you fly that way.
OK, I'll put my CDI stamp away and let our Heliochopper man critique it.  :)
1975 XLCH

fxrskrsa

• Scooter
  • Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber.
Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 05:20:13 pm
Hi D the D
Thanks for your observations. When it comes round to changing the oil again I will do my best to follow your guidance :) Live long and proper
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 08:07:19 pm
This heliochopper man would say the same thing D and D did. The two small ones would keep the plugs from falling out, but not necessarily the oil! There is no tension there to keep the plugs from loosening.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 01:16:50 am
Basically, the wire should be installed so that if the bolt head tries to rotate counterclockwise to loosen, the wire running to the next bolt head will become tighter.

If it is installed so that as the bolt head turns counterclockwise the wire becomes looser it serves no purpose (except to make the frantic mechanic swear as he's trying to rapidly remove the bolt). :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 05:32:53 pm
I can't say this is the ONLY way to do the job, but your chances of success are far higher if you use a safety wire drilling jig to drill your holes. A link is attached. I found it pretty much impossible to drill the holes in proper alignment without a jig. Lots of places sell these jigs on the internet.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/133/30303/ITEM/BikeMaster-Safety-Wire-Drill-Guide.aspx?SiteID=Google_PLA133&WT.mc_ID=10012&esvt=0-GOUSC&esvadt=9-0-3886819-1&esvaid=30548&kw={keyword}&gclid=CIenw4-X37gCFYl_QgodtnsALA
Rocket

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 09:35:19 pm
I hate those pliers, some people swear by them, many inspectors swear at them.

I love mine, but then when I'm using them I'm safety-wiring the pins shut in several *hundred* screw-pin shackles in an installation, and not using the pliers adds at least a day to the job.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 05:01:01 am
I'm sure you don't use the pliers to twist the wire as tight as you can without breaking and don't cause nicks where the wire passes through the bolt heads!
1975 XLCH