Author Topic: Greetings from the Commonwealth of Virginia  (Read 3342 times)

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
on: July 06, 2013, 12:50:38 am
I just joined this forum, so thought I'd jump right in and start posting.

Although I'm new to the Royal Enfield brand of motorcycles, I'm not new to riding -- I bought my first bike, a Honda CB350 twin, back in 1973.  I currently have a 2005 BMW R1200RT and a Vespa scooter GTS300 and just placed my order for a 2013 Royal Enfield Military.  Other than a short demo ride at the RE dealer's, I must confess that I really don't have any experience with these bikes but I love the vintage, old-school look.

I am most curious about one thing...
As I started my online RE research a few weeks ago, it seems like the vast majority of pre-owned REs "for sale by owner" are several years old, have very low mileage and most have had at least two owners.  Compared to other bikes I have or had in the past, this seems odd to me.

Can someone please explain this to me?
1972 Honda CB350 twin - sold
1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - sold
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2013 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 01:48:15 am
It comes down to the fact that many owners of the older Bullets did not want to spend all the long time for slow riding during the break-in period, and so they parked the bike. Even if they did the full break-in, the bikes don't really handle interstate highway speeds, so they don't fulfill the expectations of many people who bought them without knowing this.
So, they end up getting parked or sold.

This only applies to the older models with the vintage engines, which are the models which this particular part of the forum is about.
The  newer UCE engine models are more capable in terms of speed, and they have their own forum a couple of categories down from this category.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 01:57:59 am
I too wondered about the very same thing when looking at the various plentiful low mileage Enfields for sale. I reckon it is, in most cases, a case of sellers who always thought about getting a motorcycle, that loved the non-threatening riding experience of them (easy ergonomics, soft power, etc) and especially the vintage looks. It looks like a proper motorcycle and most everyone would agree they are neat, cool, pretty, beautiful, choose your way of describing them.... And then they ride a little, and then for many reasons the honeymoon ends abruptly. They have a fall, a close call, nobody to ride with, they never were an avid motorcyclist, or an enthusiast. It's just another toy, a new endeavor that doesn't pan out, or they have too much other stuff going on for whatever reason. Most don't know how to work on them I bet. Are not mechanically inclined...lots or reasons they become disinterested. So possibly some of those reasons perhaps? And then it's time to unload it and that's the end of their little motorcycle kick?? I've seen it with any type of motorcycle, but definitely the so called "entry level" type bikes for sure. Just the way it is I think. Maybe I'm wrong? Just my opinion of course.  BUT,  their loss is someone else's gain!! ;D

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 11:26:31 am
Hi Catbird - That's two good answers already. I'm in Arlington. What dealership did you order from?
Cheers,
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 11:34:00 am
Before I move on to the UCE forum, I do have some follow up questions...

Based on what I read in the RE owner's manual that I downloaded, the break-in procedure didn't really strike me as all that unusual or difficult to go thru for the new owner.  Unless I missed something, it seems reasonable -- much like I did for my 2011 Vespa.

Even though I no longer have any interest in touring, per se, I may have an occasional desire to ride the RE 15-20 miles on the highway @ 65 mph.  After break-in, should this type of use be avoided?  If so, why?

The dealership where I am purchasing the bike seems to routinely put 30-40 miles on their REs before declaring them approved for sale.  Why is this?  This is unusual from my experience with other brands.

I'm certain that I'll have more questions later, but I'll try to put them in their proper forums.
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 11:44:30 am
Hi Catbird - That's two good answers already. I'm in Arlington. What dealership did you order from?
Cheers,
Bill

Hey Bill.

I'm in N. Stafford.  The RE dealerships seem to be few and far between; I ended up by driving down to Velocity in Richmond just to look and take a demo ride before getting too far ahead of myself.  I, however, ended up by placing an order.  I think the only other dealership within a reasonable distance to me is in Winchester. (?)
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 11:53:55 am
Before I move on to the UCE forum, I do have some follow up questions...

Based on what I read in the RE owner's manual that I downloaded, the break-in procedure didn't really strike me as all that unusual or difficult to go thru for the new owner.  Unless I missed something, it seems reasonable -- much like I did for my 2011 Vespa.

Even though I no longer have any interest in touring, per se, I may have an occasional desire to ride the RE 15-20 miles on the highway @ 65 mph.  After break-in, should this type of use be avoided?  If so, why?

The dealership where I am purchasing the bike seems to routinely put 30-40 miles on their REs before declaring them approved for sale.  Why is this?  This is unusual from my experience with other brands.

I'm certain that I'll have more questions later, but I'll try to put them in their proper forums.

With the new UCE models, you will have no problems doing those speeds on the highway. They are capable of that.

The older "Iron Barrel" engines might experience a problem doing that in stock form, but they might be able to handle it. It would be in the questionable area.
They could do the speed without any trouble, but they are prone to overheating when speeds like that are continued for any length of time, and the length  of time is not very clear. Some can handle it better than others can. Tuning and conditions will play a part.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 11:59:26 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 03:37:41 pm
Hi Catbird and I'm up the road from you in Opal. When u get your new military stop by and we'll go for a break in ride on the back roads towards Sperryville and return back on 211...
Oh Magoo you done it again

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 05:32:39 pm
Velocity (Richmond) and Winchester are it.  There was a place near Balt, in Elkridge maybe?, but it only did service, no sales.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 09:00:49 pm
Hi Catbird and I'm up the road from you in Opal. When u get your new military stop by and we'll go for a break in ride on the back roads towards Sperryville and return back on 211...
Hi GreenMachine. That sounds great! Are you close to Clark Brothers?
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 09:16:22 pm
The UCE's are quite capable of 65-70 mph cruising. they are kinda slow lane machines on the freeway, but you'll learn to sue them i short order. You will not be the slowest guy up there though, believe me! On the other hand you will be getting near 70 mpg!
As for breakin, the manual breakin  was copied straight out of the old iron barrel maneual, which doesn't really apply to the UCE. Just ride this one without using excessive speeds, jackrabbit starts or steady RPM for a long stretch.  Also do not lug it. I looked at my throttle and figured out where half throttle was and did not exceed that for a few hundred miles. You still have adequate acceleration from a stop light and a top speed of 55 or so. It is a very good breakin range. Use the gearbox a lot. If you have some twisty roads in the area, use them for breakin.
Loctite everything you want to bring home before you ride it much. Start with the tank bolts and the three little screws on the heat shield.
Enjoy the ride. It'll be the most fun you'll have with your clothes on!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 11:51:06 pm
catbird:   yupper..mile behind clark bros....

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 01:27:28 am
GreenMachine

It's been 2 or 3 years since I've been out to the Sperryville area. From where I live, I used to follow 17 north out to  SHEETZ, cross over the highway, snake my way thru the back roads and eventually make my way out to Lee Highway.  From there, I'd head toward the Skyline Dr./Luray area.

In your opinion, are the new REs able to handle the mountains of Skyline Dr.?
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 01:45:58 am
of course they will..the fellows out west ride higher elevations than the molehills we have here...the new machines are setup to handle the Himalayas in India and Tibet..  that route u talking about, I take quite often as its pretty laid back with good rural riding.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 03:46:41 am
Welcome to the Great State of Virginia. Glad to hear the Queen and the Commonwealth are well.
Welcome Catbird. An REM will handle anything you need to ride on. Maybe not at the speed you think you need.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)