Author Topic: My Summer Adventure  (Read 1536 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 04, 2013, 08:28:57 pm
I've been trying to plan a trip through the Rocky Mountains and I think I finally have it all planned out.  I think.   ;)  I wanted to plan something that was part highways/Interstate, to make a descent time, and part dirt roads for the excitement of adventure.

The trip is going to start in Aurora, CO and the destination is Taylor Park Reservoir in Almont, CO.  Total mileage will be 207.9 miles 1 way and should take about 5.5 hours not including stops.  My friend Paul is going to come with on his 2012 BMW GS1200 Adventurer, the perfect pack mule.   :)  The 1st leg of the trip will be leaving the city via I-70 and veer off on Loveland Pass for a total stretch of 86 miles.  In Keystone, CO we start the 2nd leg and will take Keystone Rd to Colorado Trail and follow it for 28 miles/estimated 1:15 minutes to Hwy 285.  From there, take Hwy 285 for 58 miles/1 hour to Buena Vista, CO.  The final leg of the trip we will take Cottonwood Pass from Buena Vista to Almont where we will set up camp for a couple of days.  I'm excited to do some fishing there.  If you look up Taylor Park Marina, you can see pics from the Annual Spring Fishing Tournament.

http://www.taylorparkmarina.com/photogallery.htm   

There are some absolute MONSTERS in that lake!  I guess the monsters go hide at the bottom of the lake for the Summer, but the rainbow trout bite all year round.

This trip should be a lot of fun and adventurous.  There are plenty of surrounding dirt roads around the Reservoir, so when we aren't drinking beer and fishing, we will be adventuring around the mountains.  Now that I have a route planned, I'm getting super excited for the Maiden Voyage.  I'll keep everyone posted.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 07:18:21 am
OK, change of plans.  After looking into this trip a little further, it turns out that the Colorado Trail is mostly a hiking trail with only small section of OHV allowed.  SO, I looked into the route a little further and found an even better route!  And how's this for craziness, as I'm plotting the route on Google Maps, I realize the route goes RIGHT PAST my secret camping spot!  What's funny is my camping spot that normally takes about 2 hours to get to isn't even the halfway mark for where I'm going this time.   :D

Now, we're going to be taking Hwy 285 to Bailey, CO where we will get on Wellington Lake Rd and head south out for a 49.5 mile trek thru a slew of back country roads.  Google estimates this leg to take 2 hours 57 minutes, but I'm pretty sure we can shave some time off of that on the straights.   ;)  That leg will bring us out to Hwy 24, from that point it's pretty much a straight shot due west to Buena Vista.

Total mileage there will be 291.1 miles and an estimated 6 hours 40 minutes.  Get this.  The return trip we are taking the highway back home......  162 miles and 3 hours 55 minutes.   ;D  We plan on leaving August 19th and return on August 21st.  Paul and I were talking today about how great it's going to be to be able to walk down to the water at 6am, catch some fresh trout and eat it for breakfast and then take a tour around the reservoir.  Good times await.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King