Author Topic: New Rider from PA  (Read 3289 times)

MrktStrtMyhm

• Scooter
  • Bob n' Weave
on: July 02, 2013, 01:23:46 am
Hey Everyone!

Greetings from Philadelphia. I recently purchased a 2013 RE Bullet 500 B5 from Philadelphia Scooters in South Philly. Was in originally looking for a scoot to get me around the city but once I found out this place had Enfields I was pretty much sold. I had been looking around at bikes back in March, figuring out which one was right for me. I hadn't even thought of a RE until I saw them a few weeks ago parked outside the shop.

The only modifications I had done were a front chrome crash guard, 7" headlight and an EFI silencer (much better looking than the stock exhaust, sounds great too).

I'll post a pic once I find time to pick it up amidst my unusually busy work schedule this month. So far, seems like people who don't ride tend to react with "Indian made? Is it reliable?" While moto-junkies seem to say lots of good things about them, especially the look and comfortability (new word?) Anyways, looking forward to spending a lot of time on this site gaining wisdom from ye folk. 

FYI, my riding experience is nil. I know how to drive a manual automobile so I hear this shouldn't be too difficult. I've been watching youtube videos and going over the movements in my head so I'm not completely caught off guard.
2013 B5 Bullet 500

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 02:02:51 am
Welcome to the forum.

First recommendation:
Find a beginner motorcycle riding course nearby and take the course.  They'll teach you the basics and the knowledge for getting your motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license.

Then enjoy your Enfield!

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 02:59:49 am
What mplayle said.
There's so much you can learn from a good, certified teacher that you will never learn on your own.  I took the course so I could ride on bases and learned stuff I didn't learn by osmosis or experience.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 03:16:32 am
+1. Definitely  take the MSF course (or your locally offered course) which will teach you a LOT, also read "More proficient motorcycling, Mastering the ride" by David L. Hough, amongst many other good books out there. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your bike.
Cheers
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

i.candide

• Bulleteer
  • Romancing the Life
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 04:32:42 am
Welcome aboard. Motorcycling is a great pastime as well as a fun means of transportation, and the Royal Enfield is a fun ride.

Please allow me to endorse the MSF course. You will not only learn to maneuver the motorcycle, but you will be taught how to look for, identify, and avoid obstacles. Because a person is more vulnerable on a bike, this is one of the most important tasks to learn.

Enjoy the day
Romancing the life
On a 2015 Military Green C5
In Southern California

Dudefella

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 05:15:34 am
Welcome to the forums, and more importantly welcome to the world of motorcycles! I'll echo the recommendations of the previous posts, as it's not really a direct transition from driving cars to riding bikes, and it is very easy to develop some bad habits without an instructor telling you how it's 'meant to be'.

For example, I notice a tendency for novice riders to rely too much on the rear brake at the expense of the front brake - you want to use the front brake to do the the lions share of the work because as you use it, the bike's weight transfers to the front wheel and increases the contact point with the road, which in turn improves traction, and therefore braking performance. You also get more control. Don't get me wrong, use the rear brake too, but use the front brake to do most of the work.

Also, keep your head nice and high, it helps keep your balance in low-speed maneuvers and reduces the tendency to lose your balance and put your foot down.

Good luck mate, and stay upright :)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 05:36:57 am
Another +1 on the MSF course! After a 30 year hiatus from riding I took it, and learned just how much I didn't know about riding! Money well spent.  ;D
COngrats on your buy, and ride safe.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 01:23:53 pm
The Motorcycle Safety Foundation class is really really worth it.
It will take 4 hours on a friday night, and all day saturday and sunday. Its well worth it.

I credit that class with giving me the skills to avoid getting run over by a big suv. Now I still had railroad tracks take me and the bike down, but it could have been so much worse.

You will be much more confident and a safer rider with the course.

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 01:58:53 pm
I started riding motorcycles last year at age 47. I had 30 years of practice driving a manual transmission car, and lots of experience riding a bicycle in city car traffic. Both of these were really helpful. But I also got a lot of benefit out of the MSF course. It taught me good instincts about avoiding hazards, steering, and stopping, especially in situations where seconds count.

Most important pieces of advice: look where you want the bike to go (not at whatever you're hoping to avoid); sit up straight and hold on loosely and let the bike carry you, since it will anyway; don't be shy about checking over your shoulder in traffic.

Most reassuring fact: once the bike is in motion, physics will tend to keep it upright and straight.

Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 02:17:59 pm
Welcome to the forum and the world of motorcycling!!!

As everyone else had said, the MSF course is an absolute must for new riders.  It is quite literally a life saver.  That is, you will learn the techniques to save your own life when faced with a scary situation.  Good luck and be safe!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 06:27:50 pm
Now that we've gotten you taken care of, on to the the bike. I'm sure you've read the posts about loctite and all the other minor chores you shuld take care of immediately, s in the loctiting everything, and the not so immediate, but the sooner the better, such as changing the front fork oil. These beasts can keep you busy fora few weeks as you break it in, but you deont really need to go through the ritual in the book, just ride the bike normally, no jackrabbit starts or maintaining constant speeds for a long time. Work the gearbox. If you have any twisties around your area, take it to them and enjoy.
Keep the chain well lubed. It's not going to last last long and soon you will be tired of adjusting it. it will last a few thousand miles, but don't let it get too far gone or you can tear up the sprockets. Oil change and first checkup at about 300 miles. Pretty important on these bikes. They have a lot of break in clag floating around that needs to be dumped. Shifting can seem to be a real challenge in the beginning. You'll miss some shifts. It improves markedly with miles. It turns into a very nice gearbox after it's broken in. An NGK BPR6ES spark plug should be obtained and installed fairly soon. The stock Bosch plug is not particularly good. Idling and running will improve with the change.
Enjoy the bike. It will reward you in ways that you can't imagine. It can be a bit of a challenge to master, but it will give you more gratification than anything else, too!  More smiles per mile than anything else out there!
You bought an adventure, enjoy it!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Celtic Cruiser

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 03:22:15 am
Congrats, just got C5 Mil. a week ago. The advice of looking where you want to go is spot on. Never look at the front wheel. Eyes out ahead and where you are turning to (like said above, where you want to go). The safety course is sound advice. I'd retake one, (and I even helped train riders back in my Peace Corps days),but the closest is Albuquerque 140 miles away so its all on memory. Never stop scanning your environment, and stay calm.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 04:33:22 am
........Never stop scanning your environment, and stay calm.

+100
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 04:56:41 pm
A few esoteric pointers not always discussed, from a rider who has over 50 years experience.
   Always helped me in urban traffic, to stay close to a well driven CAR, to run interference through intersections, & particularly busy areas & etc.
  Just pull over & stay totally away from little old "blue hair" ladies. Also avoid any other driver holding a cellphone,  not only are they breaking the law, they are very dangerous.
  When it rains after a dry spell, the streets become very greasy from oil & rubber particles.
  Get mirrors that really work(bar ends etc.), keep an eye out for light bars on top of sedans, look in your mirrors when slowing or stopping at stop signs, be ready to take off, plan escape route in case approaching vehicle doesn't slow down.
  Don't be afraid to ignore the speed limit to pick a good sweet spot in highway traffic, or to use throttle to lose an erratic car driver & get out of danger.
  Don't ride with sneakers & drag feet(ouch!), a sturdy boot with a heel & non-stick soles is best on foot pegs & ground dabs.
  Practice low speed maneuvers & figure eights in deserted parking lot or street. learn to stand up on pegs when traversing tough terrain, cross railroad,  street car tracks at RIGHT ANGLES (90 degrees)
  Wear a face shield or good eye protection- rocks & grit can hurt, button up your shirt or jacket- don't want a wasp or bee in there!
  Wax Cottons are better than leather & more water proof.

All for now, tired of typing, be safe. Craig

Best Wishes, Craig McClure

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 09:03:52 pm
To put it in a nutshell, Pay Attention, Pay Attention, Pay attention..no daydreaming!
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com