Author Topic: Tire Change  (Read 2933 times)

Tom 60 Chief

• Scooter
on: June 30, 2013, 08:04:18 pm
I received my new tires this week and with today off, this morning I took the opportunity to change them out.  Weather cracks on the front and excessive wear on the rear.  Into the truing stand, Kroil on the spoke nipples, wheel side and spoke side for easier turning.  I like to get the rims within .020" laterally and vertically.  Once the tires are back on the rims I use the truing stand to balance the assembled wheels.  I don't know if these machines were originally shipped from England with the wheels but  my rims were made in England.  (continued next post)

Tom 60 Chief

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 08:11:45 pm
I couldn't find the correct size tubes with the valve stem offset, so I had the local tire shop install a valve in the correct position and seal the original hole.  And... re-installed, pumped up and ready to go again,  all better.

Tom 60 Chief

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 08:49:38 pm
A few words about tire size on the Chiefs.  The original size was 4.75-16 which translates to MP85-16 or 120/90-16 if I read the charts correctly.  Reality is that these sizes in different brands and models are not of consistant widths.  My bike will not accept a 5.00-16 tire.  In this picture the caliper is set at five inches (front fender), no room for error in tire width.  I could probably spread the fender a bit to allow it to fit, but when I tried that decades ago, any significant bump would cause noise from interference.  In the post above where you see the rear wheel off, the QD (quick detachable) system is visible.  The rear appears to have enough room to accept a 5.00-16 but I think you would have to forgo the QD option and remove both axle sides and the chain to get it in.  There is barely enough room to get the rim past everything, never mind a larger tire.  The tires I removed were Dunlop K127 460-16s, they have served me well.  Dunlop no longer shows this tire in their catalog but I found two new ones on E-bay for a decent price, the only difference being the old tires were made in Japan and the new ones France.  Tom

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 10:19:34 pm
Hi Tom, I've got 5:00x16s on my Chief. They're tight in front back no problem. J@P Cycle has tubes with side valve to fit them. Coker has them also. Do you trust the patches?  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Tom 60 Chief

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 04:11:48 am
ERC, I saw your tires in a previous post.  The whitewall looks great, I'm glad they work for you.  The first fifteen years or so I rode this bike, I put between six and nine thousand miles per year on it.  I went as far west as Colorado, south as NewMexico and north into BC and Alberta (from Wa State).  I still have my old log books, a bit of OCD at the time.  I had only two flats during that time, both rear tires, both from road debris.  The Chiefs use the same center stand as the taller wheeled Enfields but with the sixteen inch wheels it takes some serious motivation to get it up on the center stand to remove the rear wheel.  I found that to get the rear wheel clear of the brake hub and fender I had to remove the FRONT wheel and tilt the bike forward onto the bottoms of the front fork.  Even then it is a colossal pain in the a$$ to get the wheel out, and that is with smaller tires than yours, and of course one only gets flats when it's raining, cold and dark.  I don't put anything close to that mileage any more but this is still a go bike, not a show bike so I use the biggest tire that I can remove on the road if necessary.  As to the tubes, I have used these tubes or a version thereof since the beginning with no failures.  At the time correct tubes weren't available and these have worked well.  They aren't 'patched' in the sense of the old, can patch kit with the serrated top, they are vulcanized.  Thanks, I really appreciate your input.  Tom

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 04:36:29 am
Your wheel looks cleaner than my front wheel did when I changed the tire the other day.  I had to go around the entire bead of the wheel with a wire brush in the drill.  And I can imagine that center stand being a pain with only 16" wheels.  My Trailblazer has a 19" up front and a 18" on the rear and NO side stand.  My back and abs sure have gotten a good work out since I've gotten the bike running.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 01:46:34 pm
Tom, I know what your saying about taking the wheel off. What a pain in the ass. And that center stand is useless with those wheels. I put an Interceptor side stand on mine.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 04:39:46 pm
Tom, I know what your saying about taking the wheel off. What a pain in the ass. And that center stand is useless with those wheels. I put an Interceptor side stand on mine.   ERC

How hard was it to install the Interceptor side stand?  I'd really like to put a side stand on the Trailblazer.

Scottie

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 06:32:45 pm
Easy you may or may not have to mess with it a little bit. But it does fit. They do make one that bolts onto the front mount but was advised by Hitchcocks it's not to sturdy.  ERC

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 06:43:23 pm
So is it a clamp style or a weld on stand?

Scottie

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 07:57:54 pm
It's a clamp on style. You can leave the center stand in place.   ERC