Author Topic: Removing the side stand completely?  (Read 3493 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 05:14:45 pm
I'll do a writeup when I get home tonight.

Great - there's already a reunion thread in the Trips/Ride Reports section... started by you, I believe, t120rbullet!

sparklow

• Bulleteer
  • Never half ass two things, whole ass one thing ...
Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 05:32:08 pm
There are owners on this forum, myself included, who would have no problem with the technical issue of "slotting the holes" for their sidestand safety switch. But there are also many I suspect that are either new to motorcycling or simply short on mechanical ability that need this modification done for them. Many of the UCE bikes in question are still under warranty, the dealers would seem to be the group to carry out the sidestand switch hole mod. As a final thought, at least for the owners of the bikes with 19 inch wheels, a modified, functionally lengthened sidestand itself, which worked with the existing switch, is really the correct solution to the issue.
2022 Meteor Fireball Red
2011 B5 Bullet

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 06:19:37 pm
... As a final thought, at least for the owners of the bikes with 19 inch wheels, a modified, functionally lengthened sidestand itself, which worked with the existing switch, is really the correct solution to the issue.
One that works on the pre-switch bikes would be appreciated too.  Why in the world did they ever put that useless, short stump on any 19" wheel bike?  I don't trust the adjustable one's collet clamp arrangement - ready to slide up in when least wanted. And it looks like an afterthought make do, one size fits all, engineered in the garage arrangement.  I can do that with pipe and rod with a pin through it.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Pauly

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 06:34:58 pm
I'll pull the switch tomorrow and take it into the machine shop at work.  I had it in my head that those holes were threaded.  Shoul be no problem at work with the proper tools

I just found out there is now actually a dealer in my state and a mere 90 miles off, near my best friends' house to.  If a dealer was closer I would have taken it to him. But the dealer I bought the bike from is over 200 miles away, so it's a whole day affair to get down there, get service and get back

Thanks for the advice, pauly
2010 G5
'84 Honda VF45

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 06:41:38 pm
There are two bolts that hold the sidestand switch on. If you remove the switch you can make the holes in the switch slightly oblong which will do the trick.

Oblong uppy-downy or oblong side-to-side?

Scott