Author Topic: Removing the side stand completely?  (Read 3500 times)

Pauly

• Bulleteer
on: June 30, 2013, 01:48:32 am
Hey folks. So at 1030 miles, I have been plagued with the side stand switch issues that so many other people have.  I really do't want to run without the switch, so what if I disable the switch AND remove the side stand and only use the center stand from now on.  I use this bike as my around town runabout, and can't tell you fine folks how much I love it for that, but it means a lot of on and offs per mile.

So, what do we think?

Pauly
2010 G5
'84 Honda VF45

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 02:02:53 am
Whatever floats you boat. :)

Personally, I like having the side stand as it is sometimes very handy if I just want to park the bike for a minute or so.
I disconnected my safety switch about 2 years ago and I haven't had a problem with riding off with the stand down but then, I tend to check for things like that and the feel of the front brake lever before I even start the engine.

Getting back to your question, if you did just unplug the electrical connector where the side stand switch plugs into the main harness you would be sure it wouldn't cause any problems with the engine.
Just because the switch is disconnected you could just vow to yourself, "I shall NEVER use that side stand again.  It is a figment of my imagination so although it appears to exist it doesn't!  Henceforth I shall only use the center stand."

If you do this and keep your word, your problem is solved. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 04:23:29 am
I agree with Arizoni.  Just because you CAN remove the side stand doesn't mean you SHOULD remove it.  I've had a few instances where I wasn't able to get the bike up on the center stand because of inclines.  Having the side stand is a good insurance policy.

If you're anything like me, it will only take one left hand turn with the side stand down to remind you to never roll without double checking it.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 08:36:32 pm
Absolutely. Enough instances where the center stand just wouldn't do it. As in soft soil. I'm all too happy to have the sidestand in these instances.  ;)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 10:13:59 pm
KEEP THE SIDE STAND, Unless you put a better one on it.  Side stand makes it easier for us average size folks to hoist a leg over - especially my G5 Deluxe with 19' wheels & Bench seat. I did change my side stand to a longer one off an old Kawasaki, as the stock one leaned it nearly to the tipping point.  see photo 
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 10:17:46 pm
I HATE if when people defeat their sidestand switch as it is a safety device. If you have trouble with it, simply remove it and slot the holes a bit so you can adjust it some. End of trouble. I like the sidestand but have gotten in the habit of using the center stand. I must say I did see one fall over at the reunion on the center stand with some rain.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Pauly

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 10:44:56 pm
I would much rather keep the switch.  Do you have a diagram showing which holes are in need of some love?

Thanks

Pault
2010 G5
'84 Honda VF45

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 11:00:08 pm
I must say I did see one fall over at the reunion on the center stand with some rain.

If he would have used the sidestand there wouldn't have been anyone to give the hard luck award to (since no one was buying my sore butt story) !
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 11:12:04 pm
KEEP THE SIDE STAND, Unless you put a better one on it.  Side stand makes it easier for us average size folks to hoist a leg over - especially my G5 Deluxe with 19' wheels & Bench seat. I did change my side stand to a longer one off an old Kawasaki, as the stock one leaned it nearly to the tipping point.  see photo

Craig,
Can you post more details on the Kawasaki stand? Which type, and what mods were needed. Thanks.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 01:22:17 am
Is somebody going to share their reunion experiences?  Maybe in the Campfire, or RE News section?

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 02:44:18 am
Craig,
Can you post more details on the Kawasaki stand? Which type, and what mods were needed. Thanks.

GSS
It has been awhile since I made the change, I wrote another thread on it with the year & model Kawasaki it came off of, & several photos. I have since forgotten all that info. I did have to drill out the hole on the new kick stand, It accepted my spring. After looking at it awhile I believe it might have been lengthened & repainted.
  Take a ruler & determine your ideal kickstand length. Then get on Ebay, & pick out one the correct length with the right configuration (spring hook position, upper pivot shape etc.) that is how I picked mine. You can grind metal off-add a washer or drill a bigger hole.
This improvement worked well for me.  The switch however, had to go-as would any other "leave you stranded" POS gadget. I grew up with out a stinking Side stand safety switch.  Let me drink SUPER SIZE SODAS & RIDE WITH OUT SAFETY SWITCHES OK?
Hope that helps.  Craig
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 12:39:33 pm
Thanks. Found your post - a 1976 Kawasaki H1 side stand.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 02:58:52 pm
There are two bolts that hold the sidestand switch on. If you remove the switch you can make the holes in the switch slightly oblong which will do the trick.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 04:50:58 pm
Is somebody going to share their reunion experiences?  Maybe in the Campfire, or RE News section?

I'll do a writeup when I get home tonight.

1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 05:04:19 pm
Coming from someone who ONLY has a center stand...  Keep The Side Stand!!!  I can't count the number of times I have been getting ready to park the bike after a long ride and thought to myself "Man, I REALLY need to add a side stand to this bike."  Do yourself a favor and just modify whatever you need to modify to make it function properly.  You will miss it if you ditch it.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King