Author Topic: Neat Stuff We Can't Get in the U.S.  (Read 2621 times)

Bumboo

• Scooter
on: June 27, 2013, 05:42:56 am
Well, I'm about 1/2 way through a 5000 mile delivery of a new sailing catamaran from Valdivia, Chile to Virginia.   Along the way in Chile, Equador, and now Panama I've seen so many neat little bikes we that aren't imported to the U.S.  No market I guess.   In Chile there were 125cc Honda and  Suzukis that looked like motorcycle used to look when they looked like motorcycles:  nice clean lines, no go-fast plastic fairings, enclosed chains, and saddles with plenty of room for a sidekick.   Lots of similar Korean tidlers to about 250cc are everywhere with robust frames, belt drives, and simple lines.  Panama is filled with motorcycles by Piaggio, little jewels to about 200cc with what appears to be the same attention to detail as in the timeless Vespas.     And of course Chinese scooters are at epidemic levels everywhere.  I've seen some darling 50-125 cc Asian motorcyles resembling a Honda S90 from about 1965.  Hmmm....how can I smuggle one of these back?  Maybe hidden under the bales of marijuana?     

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 08:48:25 am
When you get back to Virginia, stop by Velocity Vintage in Richmond. Lat time I was there, they had a lot of neat little vespa look-a-likes as well as an awesome selection of new and used bikes.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 02:28:21 pm
When you get back to Virginia, stop by Velocity Vintage in Richmond. Last time I was there, they had a lot of neat little vespa look-a-likes as well as an awesome selection of new and used bikes.
Yeah!  Velocity is a cool place.  The guys will bend over backwards to keep you happy too.  They specialize in older restorations.  Last time I went there were Velocettes and old Beemers, a Hondamatic, and so many old classics I can't even remember.  Oh, there was a 2 exhaust port Enfield single in the window and both a 1927 and 1949 Enfield for sale.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 02:34:50 pm by D the D »
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 02:36:03 pm
Hey Ridgerunner,
Prozac is why I can ride my Enfield over 50mph!  :P
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 03:40:17 pm
Bumboo: Yup, their are a lot of small cc machines in the overseas markets that don't make it to the states..Standard of living isn't as high and people make due re. their transportation needs.. Sounds like a fun job delivering that catamaran...Stay safe and enjoy the trip...
Oh Magoo you done it again

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 03:55:35 pm
Well, I'm about 1/2 way through a 5000 mile delivery of a new sailing catamaran from Valdivia, Chile to Virginia.   Along the way in Chile, Equador, and now Panama I've seen so many neat little bikes we that aren't imported to the U.S.  No market I guess.   In Chile there were 125cc Honda and  Suzukis that looked like motorcycle used to look when they looked like motorcycles:  nice clean lines, no go-fast plastic fairings, enclosed chains, and saddles with plenty of room for a sidekick.   Lots of similar Korean tidlers to about 250cc are everywhere with robust frames, belt drives, and simple lines.  Panama is filled with motorcycles by Piaggio, little jewels to about 200cc with what appears to be the same attention to detail as in the timeless Vespas.     And of course Chinese scooters are at epidemic levels everywhere.  I've seen some darling 50-125 cc Asian motorcyles resembling a Honda S90 from about 1965.  Hmmm....how can I smuggle one of these back?  Maybe hidden under the bales of marijuana?     
Bumboo, on of my dreams and goals is to own and sail a 50+foot catamaran, (either a lagoon or a Fontaine Pajot) hopefully in the near future, if our paths don't cross while riding Royal enfields, they very well may pass sailing a remote part of the world in a Catamaran..
Cheers
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 04:26:19 pm
My mom and step-dad sail.  They have an older 30 foot Catalina.  They mostly sail in Lake Michigan, but they have talked about sailing in the Ocean too.  My step-dad is retired from teaching (middle school shop teacher) and this is my mom's last year of teaching (she teaches elementary special needs children) before she retires.  I can totally see them going out to sail around 1 of the continents.  I personally think it would be a blast to something like that, but believe it or not, I've never actually been sailing with them.  I've always been too busy with work and what not.  I don't want to admit it, but my 2 kids have been sailing way more times than me.    :D

Have a safe voyage!  And don't forget to take some pictures!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 06:06:07 pm
I sued to race sailboats up around Indianapolis, Hobie Cat 16, Victoria 18, Erickson 23,and other small bits. Then I move to Cantifordia and sold the boats, Got back into motorcycle racing!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 06:18:03 pm
I used to sail for work - most recently this schooner, which was built in 1927:

When I started on her, she had a roller furling jib, which made it the most modern sailboat I've ever run...  ;D  (fortunately, that roller furler is long gone...)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 01:30:03 am
OOOOoooooooo
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Bumboo

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 03:32:13 am
More than a few sailors out there, I see.  I'm a very traditional sailor w/ lots of time on schooners and and gaffers; like mattsz's pic of the old gaffer.   The older boats are a lot like Enfields; it's a lifestyle.    But this is startrek stuff.   For those interested, the catamaran is an Atlantic 47 with mast foils designed by a chap named Chris White.    That is, in addition to a large jib and staysail, she carries two vertical wings 65 feet tall.  The profile of the wings are than of a large sailplane.  It's a first for me.  We have a crew of four old farts delivering it to Virginia.  She's fast as sailbotes go with speeds averaging 14 plus knots in 20 knots of wind.   Sadly, we haven't enjoyed much wind to stretch her out with but did see a few 200+ mile days off Equador.  We transit the Panama Canal tomorrow and then up to Key West in about 5-7 day.   It's more days of fatigue and boredom than adventure most of the time.  I'm losing some prime riding time out here but sometimes I just need to get out of my box.  But when you at sea getting the crap beat out of you all you can think about is "why did I do this again...dear god just get me home."     As soon as I re-aquaint my self with my wife of 39 years,  I'll be out again on the Iron Barrel.   Best regards, Mike a.ka. Bumboo

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 04:41:07 am
It sounds like you are saying I heard right when a sailor said that sailing is, "Days of sear boredom punctuated by seconds of shear terror." :)

Good luck to you all.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 07:57:50 am
Sorry, the only sailing I've done is in a submarine...another reason for open spaces, open roads, no fairings.....replaces the prozac
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 11:07:45 am
Bumboo - if it's that sort of rig, I imagine it must have AIS.  Care to share the name of your vessel?  That way we can keep an eye on you and track your progress, make sure you're staying out of trouble...

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 12:08:04 am
I just stepped the mast on my gaff rigged cutter today. Sorry Mattsz furler for the jib and staysail. One cyl. just like the bike
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 01:17:30 am
Redcat - don't get the wrong idea... I'm no snob!  I'd love to have an old gaffer, but I'd probably go for a single self-tending headsail to make it easy!