Author Topic: Big Head Hi-Port Roller Rocker Fireball starts up!  (Read 9079 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 01:41:44 pm
I know it's going to be expensive, isn't everything racing related expensive?   ;)  I plan on spending about $3000 for this build, I think that should get me a few more ponies.  As for the bottom end, will your Carrillo steel rods work in the twins?  If not, here is the machined billet performance rods that Hitchcocks provides for the twins.

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/news/25099/New_Twin_Conrods_Available

Scottie

I doubt that the Bullet 500 Carrillo rods will fit in the twin, but there might be some steel rod that will work for it.
The issue with aluminum rods is the fatigue life. They eventually give out, no matter what kind of aluminum rods they are. How long they last is determined by the amount of stretch they get when run hard, and after a certain number of stretches, they break. If they are run easy, they will last thousands of miles. If they are run hard, they might only last a few hundred miles, and you never really know exactly when they are going to break. Top-fuel dragsters change out their aluminum rods after every event, or sometimes after every run.
I'd recommend steel rods if you are going to run them hard at the drags and don't plan to change them out each year.

The weight difference isn't as much as you might think. A Bullet OEM aluminum rod only weighs 100 grams less than the Carrillo steel rod, and the reciprocating end weight is the  same. The 100 gram difference is on the big end which is easy to compensate in balancing, and there is no reciprocating weight increase to add stress to the crank in reciprocating motion.  And steel has no fatigue life, so it won't ever break from fatigue in an engine.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 01:49:02 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 01:46:09 pm
Very true! I know few AVL high revving motors here that are still running on their stock steel con-rod without any issues! On the other hand I see many talking about their alloy rods snapping out of the crankcase at higher rpms.

-Sanket

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: September 12, 2013, 03:01:21 pm
Ace is right. The Carrillo rod won't fit a 700cc motor.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: September 12, 2013, 03:21:01 pm
My goal with this head and the general parts to go with it is to provide a competitive vintage racing engine that can challenge or win right out of the box, at a cost that is about half of what a modern repro racing Manx or G50 engine would cost.
This should bring down the cost of racing in vintage events, and use bikes and engines which are not expensive classic museum pieces, so that the sport is more accessible to more people at lower cost.

I think that if this is done right, we can make the Bullet the most popularly run bike in the vintage singles classes.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 05:31:42 pm
Scotty,
I just sent you an email about a Series One Interceptor 750 engine that is available from a friend of mine. Let me know what you think.

lytedrive

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: September 15, 2013, 02:10:58 am
looking real smart ,

your going to need a super clutch on it,

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #36 on: September 15, 2013, 03:09:18 am
 Newby clutches are pretty popular with Fireball owners.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

lytedrive

• Scooter
Reply #37 on: September 15, 2013, 04:09:00 am
8 SPRING IS NICE

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: September 15, 2013, 12:17:58 pm
looking real smart ,

your going to need a super clutch on it,

We'll try one of your clutches. We just don't have a build going on right now that needs it.
We have been using the Newby clutch, but we're open to new things.

lytedrive

• Scooter
Reply #39 on: September 15, 2013, 02:30:23 pm
whats in the primary?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: September 15, 2013, 02:33:26 pm
whats in the primary?

Ummmmm.  Clutch, crank gear, alternator and rotor?  ???

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

lytedrive

• Scooter
Reply #41 on: September 15, 2013, 03:32:28 pm
i have vernier style camshafs
nearly ready to fit them in a bullet,
full roller followers,

special tapered pushrods,

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: September 15, 2013, 09:28:41 pm
Newby clutches are pretty popular with Fireball owners.
+1
Love mine!
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

TejK

• Bulleteer
  • 'BlACk'
Reply #43 on: September 17, 2013, 01:56:06 pm
Man !! I just love this thread !!!

Keep up the good work Ace, BW & hope you 'Hot-rod-turbo-supercharge' the interceptor soon !! Hope one day my bullet will also meet Ace or BW or Both of them together !!

We might just need seat belts on the bike then !!  :D

There is no greater joy than smoking a modern light-weigh plastic thing with an 'vintage' Royal Enfield  :D ;D !!

I love Enfields and all you Enfield guys !!! Cheers !!

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #44 on: September 17, 2013, 04:07:03 pm
Not jealous or envious  just waiting patiently for the uce project to come to fruition .( cue gnashing of teeth, pulling of hair, biting of fingernails...) :o
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.