Author Topic: New from NM  (Read 2023 times)

Celtic Cruiser

• Scooter
on: June 26, 2013, 02:19:17 pm
Reposted to right section of forum.
Hello all, Just picked up a 2013 C5 Military OD Green 4 days ago in Santa Fe. It was a 400 mile round trip to and from Gallup. Trailered the bike home. Really loving it. Already learning about more it via this forum. Cheers!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 04:18:45 pm
Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the bike purchase!!!    :)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 05:57:39 pm
Welcome, you are going to enjoy that motorcycle.
Where did you buy it/What dealer?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 06:56:54 pm
Welcome to the group. You will love the bike!
Now get some Blue Loctite and go over all, that is every, nut and bolt you can. Some notable ones are the tank mounting bolts and the 3 little screws on the heat shield. They are more important than they look!
During break in the bike tends to shake a bit more than after it gets a few miles on it, and has a tendency to shed parts.
Bare
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:12:55 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Joash

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 07:10:27 pm
Welcome- I bought the same bike about 1 month ago. Pure soul.
Other loctitable nuts that loosened up for me so far- tool box, air filter and fuse box locks. The lids/covers kept falling open.
I also did the headlight covers as well, after switching out the neutral/bright/turn signal indicators to LED
This is a very informative forum.

Celtic Cruiser

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 11:43:46 pm
Bought it at Centaur Cycles in Santa Fe. Only dealer in the state.
Thanks for the heads up on the loose bolts, will keep an eye on that. Read about the chain wear too, picked up some Liquid Wrench brand chain lube this AM. Don't know if that is worth a fart or not.
It's been 15 years for me since being on a bike. That's not the big issue, the monkeying with the wrenches and learning about it will be a big learning curve. Last vehicles I could monkey with every piece of were 67 Volkswagons. "back in the day".

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 12:43:57 am
Read about the chain wear too, picked up some Liquid Wrench brand chain lube this AM. Don't know if that is worth a fart or not.

I don't know if you  can judge the chain lube by the chain that's on the bike. The Oring chain that's on the C5 is marginally better than the one on the G5, but keep a good eye on it. They will eat up your sprockets if you leave it on too long. Chain are pretty cheap, chain and sprockets, not so! If it starts needing adjustments at short intervals, like a few hundred miles, dump it! Don't wait for the sprockets to start hooking.
And get an NGK BPR6ES spark plug. Way superior to the stock Bosch. About $3.00. It'll last at least 15,000 miles. The Bosch? about 600. I know, I know, some have gotten more than that out of them, but why?
Bare
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 12:48:36 am by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 03:23:58 pm
Awright! Nice to finder another RE guy here in NM. I'm betting yours was the one in the crate out back when I picked up mine.
I'm in Albuquerque and got mine from Richard in SF, too. 2012 C5 Classic Special. You're gonna love this bike, and these forums are invaluable. In fact you find just as much and more info here than you will in the service manuals.
Listen to these folks!
+1!---Like bare said, changing to a BPR6ES ($2-3) or BPR6EIX Iridium ($7-11) plug will make a helluva difference in your idle and you'll note better response with your throttle, too. Best prices are at O'Reilly's. The Iridium will run about $7. Excellent investment.
+1---I've put about 600 miles on mine and had to adjust the OEM chain twice already. My Tsubaki from NFG arrived this week and I'm swapping them out tomorrow along with pulling the chain case and checking the primary chain and sprockets.
---Unless you actually like the bazooka silencer, ditch it for freer-flowing unit. The OEM unit is very restrictive due to the 3-stage cat. I got the Reverse Meg from NFG. Others have gone with the EFI silencer. Either way you'll gain a few HP and look more, uh, "classicky".  :)
+1---Blue Loctite! Use it or lose 'em! I heard something go through my front spokes on the honeymoon ride home. It was the nut for the Speedo cable retainer on the front fender. Been through most of the bike now and so far no further losses. Double-check the cylinder head-to-frame stay and snug it up.
---Be wary of any torque values given in the Owners' or Service manuals, IE the plug torque given is WAY to high for a plug in an aluminum head.
---If you haven't already, get your fork oil changed to get rid of the crap they use at the factory.

'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Celtic Cruiser

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 06:37:27 pm
Ahhh, another Land of Entrapmenter. All good advice. I'm only up to 65 miles right now. Lubed the chain last night. Will head to O'Reilly's this afternoon. Just a mile away. What is a Tsubaki? Not to sound like a total idiot, but what does NFG stand for. Will be checking the nuts sooner than later. Will look into the fork oil. 
Richard and Meg seemed alright, thought the set up charge was a bit up there, but it was a smooth buy. I do believe the bike in the crate was mine. They uncrated it last Thurs or so. They were kind of a trip to deal with, reminded me of the seventies, but better that than some pushy sales types though.
Am waiting for my pillion seat w/bracket to come from N. Dakota. The kids can't wait.
This site is great!!!! (except for that damn code I can never read before I post)

atzelaner

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 06:41:08 pm
Welcome to the RE family, I have a 2012 C5 classic desert storm and have 3400 miles on it, so far I had no big issues. My wife rides a 2011 C5 classic and she also had no major issues on her bike yet either. The RE are so much fun to ride. If you ever make it to Tucson AZ, let me know and we can go on a ride through the Tucson Mountain & Saguaro Park

Mike

Celtic Cruiser

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 06:48:04 pm
Tuscon would be a pretty long haul, but thanks. Good to hear about no probs with the Desert Storm, that's encouraging.  As for my, "what does NFG stand for", , , never mind!!!!!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 09:46:19 pm
Now, now, Celtic Cruiser... in this case, NFG stands for Nfield Gear, our host's parts supply.  Not the other one...  ;)

If you are logged in, I think you shouldn't have to input that "captcha" code each time?  I hate those, but I guess they defeat spam postings.  I remain logged in "forever" on my computer, and I never see them on this forum...

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 10:57:15 pm
Tsubaki, along with DID, is one of Japan's largest industrial roller chain manufacturers.  They probably all fall under one mother/parent company in name if you can follow the convoluted company family trees.  DID also makes rims and other pressed steel parts.  If you've ever had a Japanese built bike, the OEM chain was probably a DID and maybe a Tsubaki.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 10:52:35 pm
Now, now, Celtic Cruiser... in this case, NFG stands for Nfield Gear, our host's parts supply.  Not the other one...  ;)

I can see where he was confused.  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 11:16:00 pm
stock chain is nfg
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet