Author Topic: Gday from Canberra, Australia  (Read 2431 times)

Dudefella

• Scooter
on: June 26, 2013, 11:14:43 am
Hi all,

A newby here from Canberra, home of politicians and giant flying ten-breasted sky whales. I was put on to this forum by a fella who's nickname on this board I don't know but he has a nice chrome c5 out in the Midwest NSW.

I'm currently waiting to take delivery of the forest green B5, which will be the first in Australia. Should be arriving next week, and I can't wait. I've already ordered a solo seat for it and will be putting on some panniers and a nice exhaust. Anyway nice to meet you all!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 11:56:27 am
Dudefella-

Step away from the green B5, it's mine.

Just kidding.  Kind of...  (http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,16119.msg175206.html#msg175206)

Welcome to the forum - lot's of friendly, knowledgeable people here to help you on your way...

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 11:56:56 am
Chrome C5..that must be 'wildbill'.  :D

Anywho, welcome fellow NSWer! And congrats on your B5! I have a B5 myself, with the traditional black colour and gold pinstriping etc.

You'll enjoy this forum, great members providing great help. Have a look around this UCE forum section on how to set up your new bike and what to take care of when you get it. Lots of information available. Ah the state of origin is going for another decider..

Good luck!
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 04:29:03 pm
Welcome aboard Mate,
Cheers
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 07:00:20 pm
Welcome to the forum. You'll love the bike.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Dudefella

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 09:33:31 pm
Thanks lads. I was ready to put a deposit on a black B5 when I stumbled on to pictures of the new colour. I immediately called the dealer and told them "I want that one" and placed a deposit straight away. Been eagerly awaiting since!

While this ain't my first bike, after a string of metric cruisers and Japanese dual sports, this is my first real bike, and really the bike I've always wanted.

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 11:09:54 pm
Dudefella greetings from sunny Nth Qld. Great site this one, a lot more info regarding the EFI bikes, moreso than the Aussie Enfield site her at home. Welcome. Did you see the game last night by any chance ?.  ::)

Dudefella

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 12:09:39 am
Heh I predicted  it - first game would go to NSW, the second and third will go to Queensland.

While I live in Canberra, I actually bought from Motociclo in Sydney and am getting it shipped down here because I don't like the local dealer down here. Rude and incompetent. It means that I'll have to go through the process of registering it myself and will have to get an inspection report, so I wont be able to immediately remove the notorious side stand switch.

Every bike I've had has allowed the bike to run in neutral with the side stand down. I understand that the Royal Enfield's dont even allow this? How on earth do you warm your bike up?! I like to start the bike, then spend a few minutes getting my gear on, or brushing my teeth or whatever.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 12:35:54 am
ow on earth do you warm your bike up?! I like to start the bike, then spend a few minutes getting my gear on, or brushing my teeth or whatever.

Ya put it on the centerstand!
Still gotta put the sidestand up, though.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Dudefella

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 12:39:07 am
Thanks mate - ludicrous newby question here. Do they come from the factory with a centre stand or is that an extra?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 12:43:36 am
All of the Royal Enfields come with a centerstand.

They obviously haven't figured out that if they leave it off they can charge an arm and a leg for it like Triumph does.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Dudefella

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 12:53:41 am
Bonza! That's a nice little bonus. Will still be removing that damn switch after the inspection though.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 01:30:10 am
Bonza! That's a nice little bonus. Will still be removing that damn switch after the inspection though.
Lots of Bonuses with the RE ant this forum, welcome Mate from down under and enjoy the bike and this awesome forum
Cheers.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 02:54:50 pm
welcome to the forum ;D

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 04:17:46 am
Cheers and welcome to the forum dudefella...
 :)
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Dudefella

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 05:08:15 am
Thanks fellas! With a bit of luck my bike will arrive on my doorstep next Thursday. Already got a new seat and saddlebags waiting for it, and I'm going to go source the correct NGK iridium sparkie on the weekend - I think its coded BR8EIX
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 05:16:47 am by Dudefella »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 12:17:28 am
As you know, we suggest using the NGK BPR6ES plug.

The 8 in your spark plug number indicates that spark plug is "colder" than the 6  we are using on the fuel injected UCE.
NGK temperature numbers are somewhat backward from other companies.  Low numbers are hot and  high numbers are cold so the tip of a #2 would run very hot and a #9 would run very cold.
The colder #8 you have found may develop carbon buildup on its center electrode even though the engines fuel/air ratio is correct.  The carbon buildup can cause fouling problems.

As you mention,  your spark plug is a iridium plug and it will probably set you back a bunch of dollars.

Although the RE engine has been updated with hydraulic valve lifters and a automatic compression release it still is an old fashioned, low reving, OHV pushrod engine that works just fine with a standard old fashioned spark plug like the NGK BPR6ES that only costs a couple of dollars..  No need for a expensive spark plug with this engine.
For the price of one iridium plug you could buy 3 standard plugs so you would have 2 spares if you ever need them.  :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 12:19:37 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 02:09:12 am
just pulled mine  :-[ :P-correction-removed the spark plug.

iridium bpr6eix 8)

Dudefella

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 06:04:40 am
Thanks chaps!

That reminds me - does the RE toolkit come with a spark plug removal wrench tool?

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 09:55:47 am
sure does

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 04:30:48 pm
Don't know if they changed kits over the years but it should be a tube wrench that one end does plugs and the other does the big wheel nut.  You use the Jimmybar with it. Crude, but fine for the road.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 06:40:32 pm
Don't know if they changed kits over the years but it should be a tube wrench that one end does plugs and the other does the big wheel nut.

No wheel end on mine, just the plug end. The wheel one wouldn't fit in the cheesy toolbox (hot dog warmer) of a G5
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer