Author Topic: Saddle bags...  (Read 14073 times)

rpnix

• Bulleteer
on: July 31, 2007, 04:36:40 pm
Will any of the saddle bags available in the Enfieldmotorcycles.com store fit on the Electra with the standard bench seat? Are there any modifications that need to be made to install them? Are the braces required to keep them away from the wheel?
Bob Nix -- '06 Ural Tourist, '07 Royal Enfield Electra  <-- Click on the bike to see photos!

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 10:16:06 pm
Will any of the saddle bags available in the Enfieldmotorcycles.com store fit on the Electra with the standard bench seat? Are there any modifications that need to be made to install them? Are the braces required to keep them away from the wheel?

Bob,

I think the bags here:

will work with the bench seat. You can see how the braces connect to that upper frame over the fender. (The stock bench seat bolts on via the grab-rail bolts). In this picture, the luggage rack shares the mounting points from the top while the braces utilize them from below. You obviously would only use thetwo mounting holes for the brace.

There were no mods required.

The bags are bare-bones basic, but have held up well so far and have a good (3-point) mounting system that utilizes the braces. The braces are expensive by comparison, but I'd still recommend the overall package.

Matt
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 10:18:00 pm by Thumper »

HRAB

• I should really edit this
  • Grease Monkey
  • Been there, doin' more...God willing
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 03:26:22 pm
The saddle bags mount with a strap over the bench seat and the shock does a fair job of holding the bags out of the wheel.

The saddle bag brackets do a nice job of holding the bags in place.
http://www.royalenfieldusa.com/royal-enfield-electra-saddlebag-brackets-style-p-7026.html

BMWMOA www.bmwmoa.com
Iron Butt Association www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm
(Formerly) CRA# 118N www.cra-mn.com (I got smarter in old age)
74 Honda XL350 'Scoot'
81 Honda CB650C
86 Gold Wing with California Sidecar
00 Honda ST1100 'Large Marge'

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 11:33:08 pm
I'm looking at getting bags for my RE too, but decided not to go with the oned in the catelog. I have found very nice, heavy duty leather bags with adjustable yokes for a fraction of the cost. I am, however, going to get the combination rack/bracket setup from the catelog. It is chrome and includes a small rack over the tail light. This setup will allow me to also strap on a duffle bag for multi-day trips.

rpnix

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 01:51:26 pm
Can you list here, or send me privately, the source of the bags you found?
Bob Nix -- '06 Ural Tourist, '07 Royal Enfield Electra  <-- Click on the bike to see photos!

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 05:02:56 pm
You can look on the internet, places like ebay, but the best thing is to just go to any large bike shop and look around. I have found generic, adjustable heavy leather bags for about $80-$140 on average. They aren't stamped "Enfield," but the bike advertises itself on the tank just about every engine panel, so it's not really important. I plan on buying the bag brackets from the catelog that come with the small chrome rack, so I can strap on a duffle bag, and the bags I'll get from a local source. I figure the whole thing will run me about $150.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 07:51:51 pm
I just bought a set of bage today for about $100. They are synthetic leather rather than the real thing, but look good and built heavy. They detach from the yoke so they can be handled like luggage. I have the brackets/rack on order, along with higher handlebars (does anyone else think the stock bares are just a bit too low?). I'll post pictures when all is assembled.

hg_7616

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 02:12:52 pm
i dont wanna sound like an idiot here but i have located someone in india who sells tank and saddle bags that fit the enfields properly.
the saddle bags are for around $55
the tank bags are for around $35

the prob lies in the shippin charges for these to the US.. what to do?

LJRead

Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 05:32:24 pm
My own opinion after discussing this with various knowledgeable sorts is that you might play hell getting things from India.  The problem lies partly with the Indian postal system, which is said to be unreliable.  One dealer there in Mumbai (Bombay), suggested a courier service for needed parts, such as DHL or Fedex, but with them I think cost might be a big factor.  I also had someone from Beijing recommend DHL for the shipment of canvas goods, but I have never seen actual courier shipping costs from such countries.

I think I'd bite the bullet, pay a little extra, and go for something American made.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 06:17:05 pm
i dont wanna sound like an idiot here but i have located someone in india who sells tank and saddle bags that fit the enfields properly.
the saddle bags are for around $55
the tank bags are for around $35

the prob lies in the shippin charges for these to the US.. what to do?

I got a set of Cramster Stallion saddlebags from India.  They are designed specifically for Bullets with the dual seat.  I got the saddlebags, a helmet bag, and a waistpack and the total cost (including international courier) was about $170.  This was for shipping to Washington state.  Here's their website, if you're interested:
http://www.cramster.in/prod_stallion.php

Eamon
Eamon

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 07:05:38 pm
Thank you for the link, a very interesting site.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 11:37:33 pm
mAn , those are serIOUs saddleBaGs :o

I could live ou of them foreVeR 8)

Terri

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 02:10:30 am
Hi There,
For those of you who don't care whether the Royal Enfield logo is embossed on the bags, you may want to check out www.rockinleather.com. They have a ton of different styles to accommodate any Bullet style, and prices for the leather bags are really cheap. They have a bunch of different styles, too. I'm still not sure what style I want to go with. Anyway, check them out. :o
Terri

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 05:20:44 pm
Personally I like those tan bags from RE USA with Royal Enfield embossed on the top.....they are soooo koooool.......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 04:32:07 am
Personally I like those tan bags from RE USA with Royal Enfield embossed on the top.....they are soooo koooool.......Dew.

I love those (and the black ones of the same style), but they're just too small for me.  I like to keep rain gear in the bags and still have room for a bag or two of groceries.  They do look sharp though!

Eamon
Eamon