Author Topic: WTF Hitchcock's?  (Read 11117 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 25, 2013, 01:29:24 pm
I placed 2 orders from Hitchcock's last week, 1 on Wednesday and 1 on Friday.  The 1st order is already here in the USA as of Sunday morning.  The 2nd order hasn't even been packed yet because of the speedo glass and trim ring I ordered.  "The Trailblazer used the big Stewart Warner speedo".  No it didn't.  At least, not entirely.  First of all mine's not big, second of all, my speedo says "Smiths" right on it!

THEN they second guessed the crank seal I ordered.  I already ordered the felt seal and found out my primary has the neoprene seal.  So I ordered the neoprene seal on the second order and get told "The other part that needs questioning is the drive side crank seal, the one you have ordered is neoprene, the early type used a felt seal. 1958 is the change over, but they are not interchangeable. Which do you have fitted at the moment?"  Ggggrrrrrrrrrrr!    >:(    I ORDERED BOTH! JUST SEND ME THE DAMN THING SO I CAN PUT MY BIKE BACK TOGETHER!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 02:56:00 pm
The Trailblazer did use the SW gauge. The Apache and others used the Smiths. Your lucky you can use a lot more gauges in that one. The late Bullet ones fit  and they sell a cable that will hook to your drive.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 08:19:14 pm
My Chief needs a big SW speedo...do they actually HAVE one?
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 09:57:36 pm
ERC - Is it possible that I do not have a typical Trailblazer?  It seems like I've into a lot of confusion on different parts for my bike.  Also, do you have the part number for the gasket that goes between the primary case and engine block around the crank shaft?  I can't find it listed on Hitchcocks.

Scottie

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 12:03:03 am
Bullet I think Hitchcocks still had new ones a while ago. You'd have to contact them, if I remember correctly they weren't cheap.  The # 804020. I think  your looking at $450. Scottie I think your bike is definitely made up out of different parts. There is no gasket between the primary and engine. I usually put Permatex 2 on there. If you really wanted to have a gasket you could use #144621 from a late 4speed Bullet. You'd have to modify it though. Three holes line up the bottom one doesn't.   ERC
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 12:25:39 am by ERC »
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 02:55:30 pm
RE was consstantly making changes. Hitchcock's is aware of this but I can see how it can be frustrating. I've seen a lot of bikes with all sorts of different year model parts on them. 1958 was a change over year for the 700 and it was improved very little through the end of production when the 750 took over. Some improvements were not. The big ball ramp clutch is a good example. They traded one problem for several different problems on that one.

Hitch might have gotten some SW speedos from Avellino's when they purchased all that stuff. Originals are getting rare. I see them now and then on flea pay but not as much as I have in the past. I've rebuilt a few for Harleys and have even traded parts around on a few but the case mounting ears are high on the Indian ones to use springs for fixing and Harleys are low for screw mounting on the rigid frame HDs. The 8:3 ratio Smiths drives for the SW speedos are also hard to find. I bought the last one Accessory Mart had some years back. Prior to 58, the Indian SW speedos were 120 mph units but after the 58 model year, they went to 150 mph so the Chiefs all had the 150 mph units when new. Many I see in the flea pay are 120 mph units. It likely would not be difficult to modify an HD repo speedo for use on an Indian or even have one reproduced but the Asian made units are not near the quality of the original Stewart Warner units. There are a lot of Smiths repros out there now but I prefer the originals on them too.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 03:46:10 pm
What ticks me off is all I needed were fork springs and seals, the glass and trim ring for the speedo (Which BTW I still have the Email FROM Hitchcock's telling me what part #s I need), and the stupid crank shaft seal.  It took them 3 business days for them to tell me that "I ordered unspecified parts" (the crank seal) even though I typed in the freaking part # into the order form.  Well, they just lost some of my business because I cancelled my last order and placed a new order last night for just the crank seal.  Maybe if NFG gets back to me I can order the fork seals and springs through them.  If not, I'm sure I can find other sources.  Shit, I bet I can probably take out my old springs and take them to Performance Cycle and ask Paul to match them up to something that will work.

Scottie

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 12:16:05 am
Bullet I think Hitchcocks still had new ones a while ago. You'd have to contact them, if I remember correctly they weren't cheap.  The # 804020. I think  your looking at $450.  ERC
I didn't have the money when they had the NOS ones...damn...hard item to find!They're really rare,and I suppose I can use a SW repro,until one turns up...I have TWO original speedo drives,one alloy,and one chrome...the cable shouldn't be hard to find...
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

Tom 60 Chief

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 01:43:36 am
Just to add to what Kirby wrote, Larry Graham (theres that name again) told me that the 120mph and 150mph Stewart Warner speedometers were mechanically the same, they just put the 150mph face on the 120mph body.  I can attest that the speedometer readings on the Chief are wildly inaccurate.  The needle just kind of waves in the general direction of the indicated speed anyway.  A company in Alberta Canada (www.vintagebritishcables.com) has speedo/tach cables and housings for most british bikes and autos.  They list most if not all the Indian Enfield(British) models as available.

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 01:10:00 pm
Thanks,Tom...I'll check them out!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 03:51:59 pm
So, is Hitchcock's the only choice for these old Twin parts?  I'm just not happy with them.  They jacked my latest order too.  This is the exact copy and paste in the notes that I placed with my last order for JUST the crank seal;

"Please Ship Out As Fast As Possible!!! There was confusion with my last order and it never got shipped. My other parts arrived today and I can't do anything until I have this seal. Thanks and Cheers!"

Well, guess what?  They shipped it out standard shipping even though I specifically told them to ship it out with a fire under it's ass.  I'm so effing irritated with them right now.  I know my 1st order I ever placed with them took 2 full weeks to show up.  My 2nd order I told them I wanted a tracking # and it showed up in 4 business days.  I have half a mind to say fuck it and throw it back together with the old seal.  I don't even know for a fact that's the seal that's leaking.

Scottie

fxrskrsa

• Scooter
  • Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber.
Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 07:06:35 pm
In order to create a little balance, I would like to say that I have ordered many parts from Hitchcocks for my Sixty-5 and they have always been spot on. When speaking to their staff they have been courteous and knowledgeable, and have searched through stock to find parts that were not in their parts book. I must say they get a thumbs up from me :)
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 07:14:36 pm
I'm not saying that they aren't creditable, but they dropped the ball twice in a week on a part I desperately need.  My bike is my only transportation and I've already been down for a week. Now I'm down until my crank seal finally decides to get here.  Last time they shipped to me without a tracking number it took 2 weeks to get here.  Had they not needed up my original order and shipped it out in a timely matter I would already have my and I could be putting the bike back together today.  Instead now I have no idea when I'm going to have a $5 seal that is preventing me from getting ANYTHING accomplished.  I'm just irritated.

Scottie

fxrskrsa

• Scooter
  • Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber.
Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 07:48:19 pm
Hi Scottie... I'm really lucky as I am in the UK, and delivery times are super quick here (ordered a part at 12:00 one day and it was delivered the following morning), and would also feel irritated if my lovely bike was off the road, so I do understand your frustration... Hopefully you will be riding that great bike of yours, with the sun on your face and the bugs in your teeth in no time !!! Live long and prosper my friend :)
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 11:03:15 pm
That's illogical.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH