Author Topic: Convert to Right Hand Gear Change?  (Read 5457 times)

vonfilm

• Scooter
on: June 21, 2013, 12:26:12 am
I have been having the Horsepower Farm in Austin, Texas sort out my 2002 Enfield Bullet 350ES with 2200 miles. This bike had been setting for several months before I acquired it. They have cleaned the carb, freed up the compression release, installed new K70 tires and the engine is now running good. They have told me that the 4 speed left hand shift linkage has worn oval holes in the linkage resulting in excessive free play and poor shifting. I have read that the left hand shifting on the 4 speed bikes was poorly engineered and will always be a problem. Are there improved parts to fix the left hand shift linkage?

Should I have them convert the left hand shifting to right hand shift using the conversion kit that NField Gear sells? How many hours of labor should a shop charge to do this conversion. Is NField Gear the best place to source this kit?

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 05:28:14 am
When new the left foot shift worked well for me.  I'm not sure there are replacement parts available.  The oval holes are only part of the problem with the left foot shift, the shifter shaft also wears and tends to result in wobble and excessive lever movement.

The right foot conversion from Nfieldgear can be made to shift very crisply when installed correctly.  Installed incorrectly, there can be a neutral for each gear.  I have found the lash of the bellcrank needs to be correct, which requires correct placement of bellcrank sleave bushing. 

As to how much time is required to install, it depends on the knowledge of the mechanic.  An experienced enfield mechanic or a fellow bulleteer that has performed the installation could do the job in two hours.  A novice bulleteer could take months to get the bellcrank sleave bush into the correct position and adjust the ratchet assembly.

My first try took about 2 months before I figured out I needed some additional spacers on the bell crank shaft to get the lash correct.  Even so, I had fun and a glow of satisfaction when I finally figured out how the mechanism worked.

vonfilm

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 06:25:11 am
Should I consider the 4speed bushing kit from NField Gear to take the slop out of the linkage and improve shifting?

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 01:37:15 pm
Certainly...it's a cheap and easy fix,and it can't hurt...but,in the long run,a RH shift set-up works MUCH better...one up,three down,with a properly adjusted neutral finder,just as God,The Queen,and Albion intended...my 2000 has a RH shift gearbox,I have new RH Albion box for my 2002,and the kit for my 1999...something to do this winter...my 1959 Indian Chief is RH shift,as well...it will be nice when all four are...
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 03:55:28 pm
Finally, an answer about false neutrals. Thanks, mrunderhill1975a. I know how to adjust a cable. That's not the problem.
  "The right foot conversion from Nfieldgear can be made to shift very crisply when installed correctly.  Installed incorrectly, there can be a neutral for each gear.  I have found the lash of the bellcrank needs to be correct, which requires correct placement of bellcrank sleave bushing. 

As to how much time is required to install, it depends on the knowledge of the mechanic.  An experienced enfield mechanic or a fellow bulleteer that has performed the installation could do the job in two hours.  A novice bulleteer could take months to get the bellcrank sleave bush into the correct position and adjust the ratchet assembly.

My first try took about 2 months before I figured out I needed some additional spacers on the bell crank shaft to get the lash correct.  Even so, I had fun and a glow of satisfaction when I finally figured out how the mechanism worked."

I have a 2004 ES, iron barrel with a 5 speed, RH shift. The trans is solid, but for endless false neutrals. I believe it was a Hitchcock purchase and PO installed. Is there a good manual to show what mrunderhill1975a explained? My last transmission setups were on BSAs. I've never seen the inside of a Bullet transmission.
Thanks for giving the real explanation of false neutrals.
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 05:09:11 pm
I have not been inside a 5speed box, the Snidal manual does have information on the 5speed box, but I do not know if the details are helpful.

The Snidal manual has a good description of the basic right foot shift installation for the 4-speed box.  However, it lacks the information on adding spacers(washers) to bell crank shaft to get the correct lash for the bell crank.  Another source of infomation for the 4-speed box is the Hitchock's tech board.  http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/technical-notes

vonfilm

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 11:28:07 pm
I called Nfield Gear this morning and they told me the 4-speed bushing kit is not currently available and they do not know when it might be back. Does anyone have a spare kit they want to sell?

I did order a pair of the stock nylon bushings from them since they were available and inexpensive. To replace these nylon bushings does one have to remove the whole primary case, clutch, chain, electrics and all or is the primary cover enough?

It is cost prohibitive at this time to move shifting to the right side which would certainly be the best solution. Can someone point me to directions, video, pictures, etc. that would show me how to adjust, repair and optimize the left hand shift linkage so that it is performing at it's best ?

vonfilm

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 05:28:25 pm
My wife dropped me off at the repair shop this morning and I rode the 350 back to my home. This is a distance of only about a mile and a half. It felt great to be on the new K70's. The engine was running good and the ride home was uneventful.

I judged the shifting to be acceptable. The lever travel was long, but I had no trouble shifting through the gears. I was able to get in nuetral with the left foot lever with only a little trouble. I will try to adjust the nuetral finder myself when I have a little time. Maybe I was unduly alarmed at the diagnosis of excessive play in the shift linkage. Maybe that is just how a 2002 left hand shift Bullet is.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 10:48:32 pm
I only rode a LH shift 2002 for a distance of a little over a mile and although its shifting was far from precise I thought it was tolerable.

If the bike was intended for rapid acceleration and racing conditions the gearchange system would have been totally unacceptable but being an old fashioned, low horsepower bike that seems to like leisurely thumping thru the countryside the gearchange will do.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 06:33:30 pm
New nylon bushing would help the left foot shifter. The lower nylon bush is easy to install, just pull the cotter and it will pop out. The upper nylon bush is a bit more challenging as to do it with the primary installed, you need tiny girl fingers to get in between the gearbox and the primary cover.  If you choose to replace both, you should do the lower bush first, then the upper.  This way you won't forget which side of the levers the banana shaped link attaches.  If I remember correctly, the banana lever has the smiley face up and attaches to the gearbox side of the other two levers.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 01:55:54 am
there is also a Dan Holmes designed bushing kit that
really tightens up the lh shift linkage. I believe our host sells it....
           - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

curtisbelford

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 07:54:48 am
I never used addon spacers for the bell crank. What I did was adjust the bushing for the bell crank the way I needed it to go in or out for my adjustment and all is good. I started with the location from the old cover, measured the bushing point (You pick which side) and went from there.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 05:40:33 pm
Curtis, I understand what you are saying, setting the bell crank bush properly would be the best way to go if possible.  In my case, the bell-crank bush was not long enough such that the bush would retain a "lip" or "ear" to catch and center the ratchet mechanism while at the same time reduce the lash on the bell crank.  Possibly my inner cover was not to specs or was a pirate part.  The kit did come in an official looking Royal Enfield plastic bag and had the name "Silking"  cast into the inner cover.  Of course, printing a counterfit RE plastic bag would be much easier than counterfeiting a $100 greenback so, who knows.