Author Topic: Thanks for the help. Bought the bike today! Introdution time.  (Read 6224 times)

sqf

• Bulleteer
  • 07' Military-solo seat, elec ignition
Alright, hello all.  I figured I would create a new thread to intorduce myself and introduce my new bike! 
My name is Mike, I've been a police officer for just over 12 years. I am an evidence technician (CSI), accident reconstructionist and I am on the bomb squad.  I've been married for 13 years and have four kids.   My wife is happy that I got a bike that doesn't hit triple digits like my car.  Very happy!

The bike-
It was the bike on Ebay that someone mentioned.  It's a 2007 military 500 with 35 miles on it.  I snatched it up for $4,100.  It was traded in with two other bikes.  It is stock except for the addition of a dual spring solo seat and the points have been replaced for an electronic ignition.  Included with the bike is a full tank of gas, fluid and filter changes and all the parts the old owner brought in with it.  I looked through the box real quick and there are two tire tubes, five sparkplugs, air filters, a cable (not sure which one), the points setup that was removed and some other small parts that I didn't have time to go through.  The dealer is going to call the old owner to see if he can drop off the manuals so until I get them I am in the dark.  Most of my questions would be answered by the manual!   

Here are two quick question.
With the points replaced can I still use the ammeter to determine TDC and if so, how?

Second, what type of warranty does the bike have from the factory, any idea if that is transferable to me? 

I must say, I like this site so far!  I am a moderator on one of the largest Conquest/Starion  sites (Starquestclub.com) and this site seems very much like that.  Close knit group that everyone believes is sort of crazy for owning odd vehicles while all the members think everyone else is odd for not owning them!  As for my Jeep, it is a 1976 CJ5, it has the AMC 304 motor and I "should" be finishing a three year frame of restoration this summer.  The Jeep is 90% brand new, what isn't new is reconditioned. 

Nice to meet you all!  Once I get my feet under me I hope to become a valuable asset to the community.  I'm definitely a hands on person, if you don't take it apart you will never be able to know how it works!
Fir Na Dli

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Welcome and congrats on the purchase.  Being on the bomb squad should make you a well qualified Bullet owner  ;)
Don't know for sure about the amp meter but if you are concerned about parking at TDC just kick it until you feel the piston come up on compression then using the decomp lever give it a little nudge until you hear a hufff out of the exhaust pipe and you will have it at the right spot.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

oldsalt

• Bulleteer
You would, in my opinion, be well served if you chainged the oil at that 35 mark.  Most of the initial 'brush down of the cylinder by the rings was been done so get rid of that oil and again change oil and filter at the reccomended 300 miles.  The more I look at the military model the more I want one.  I like the price you got yours for.

Yes, most of your questions will be answered by the owener's manual.  I don't have a clue regarding your points question.  Just be deliberate in the brake-in procedure.  Do it in cool ambient temperature.  I do brake-in in the evening.  Roll off and on the throttle rather than run at a constant speed even if the average speed is 45 mph.  The Enfield is not alone in having jetting some what toward the lean side when delivered.  All new bikes seem to be set up that way.  So watch the plug for signs of leaness, especially after you get it broke-in enough to start running around 55.  You are going to like the big single.              
-2006 Sixty-5
-1941 Knuckle
-Lotza Mini Bikes
-67 Triumph 500
-46 Hiawatha
-67 Triumph 650

IndyJAG

• Scooter
Hey Mike good to have a fellow Jeeper on here, congrats on the Bike!

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Welcome, Mike.  Nice to have you riding with us and I'm sure you'll come to love your bike.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

sqf

• Bulleteer
Thanks all!  I head up to pick get the bike in a few hours.  I had a typo as well, it currently has 325 miles on it.  It had a 50 mile fluid change and the dealer is doing it today before I pick it up.  Hopefully the manuals will show up soon!
Fir Na Dli

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
sqf,

Welcome and congratulations!

> Here are two quick question. With the points replaced can I still use the ammeter to determine TDC and if so, how?

esjones is a  mechanic and he can tell you the details - maybe email him.

Find compression, then as you press through TDC see if the needle drops. Do it a couple of times to make sure you see what you think you're seeing. If it's consistent then the technique works despite your conversion. If not, it'll be like the AVLs and you can't use the ammeter method.

Matt
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 01:33:16 pm by Thumper »

deejay

Here are two quick question.
With the points replaced can I still use the ammeter to determine TDC and if so, how?

I have points and never use the ammeter to find tdc, use the decompresser on the handlebar to kick through. Once you here the "HUFF" out the exhaust your almost there, kick it over a slight bit more and it will be at tdc... or damn close to it... you'll get the feel. I never parked it at tdc for the 1st few months I had my bike and never once had an issue, so I don't think its really that big of a deal... just a good habit to get into.

Oh and welcome to the forum, your new bike is still in the break in period so take it easy until about 1,000 - 1,500 miles.

You're job sounds cool, assuming it's just like the tv show? ;D

sewerman

• Scooter
Welcome Aboard!  You will love your Bullet especially if you like to tinker.  Get the Snidel manual cause it speaks to you in plain language.  Also get used to people surrounding your bike when you leave it and expect lots of questions.  Harley people get moody cause the Bullet gets all of the attention and their clone hogs don't.   ;D

DVDitman

• Bulleteer
  • '06 Classic Deluxe ES
First of all, if the bike has been sitting even a couple months, I'd get that old petrol. out of it right away, and add something like StarTron to the fresh fuel in order to clean things up. Petrol gets really nasty really fast these days. Fresh 20w-50 in the crankcase is a good idea, as well. The primary, and the gear-box fluids should be fine, just check the levels (primary: 13mm check nut to left of 18mm attaching lug; gear case: allen nut just to left of 18mm fill plug. Fill both 'til they begin to ooze out of the check hole.)
About your warranty, it's probably  12 month, non-transferable.
Easy does it on the break-in, nothing over 50 mph for the first 1,000 miles, and that speed sparingly.
Make sure you carry spare clutch, throttle, and brake cables - never leave home without 'em!
Jay Leno says he remembers the days when you "rode for one hour, and wrenched for three"; welcome to the world of Royal Enfields. They're a hoot to ride, but they do not like to be neglected! Give your Enfield the attention it requires and you will never regret it.
Enjoy!

sqf

• Bulleteer
Thanks all!
My job is exactly like on TV, it's all real! LOL
I rode the bike into work today.  My word I don't know how I went without riding for the last 5 years!  The trip into work is about 16 miles.  I kept it between 30-45 all the way and never opened the throttle past 1/3 or so.  I found one false neutral on the ride in.  I picked the bike up shortly before I had to come to work so I haven't had time to go through and tinker yet.  I have read the manual so I will be checking everything over this weekend.  The dealership said they did the 300mile service checklist from the manual but I figure now is a good time to see how everything works.  I'll take hundreds of digital pics so when something goes wrong I have photos of what it is supposed to look like LOL. 
I must say, I was concerned about the bike being a wee bit small for me but that is not the case.  It reminds me of when I was 16 and had a Yamaha Special 400.  Nimble and responsive but not anything that will get away from you quickly.  So far I love it.  My 4 year old sat on it in the driveway for a good half hour "driving". 
Fir Na Dli

geoffbaker

Thanks all!
My job is exactly like on TV, it's all real! LOL

Wow, a job where all your co-workers are busty, scantily dressed women... where do I sign up?

Enjoy the bike!

deejay

I found one false neutral on the ride in. 

Yeah, even with the updated 5-speed gearbox you still have to shift firm and deliberate, it will help with the false neutrals.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Welcome SQF
I too am a Bullet 500 Military owner but t'other side of the pond from you!
I like the fact that these look:- a) purposeful, b) there's a lot les polishing required, c) a slight mark on the thing sprays in very easily if required and the odd mark seems to suit the utilitarian look, & d) mine came with the panniers and front crash bars fitted (std issue I think) so even better value.

Have fun  ;D
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

geoffbaker

Plus there's the fact that we can hide from our wives and girfriends better in forested areas.