Author Topic: Primary Cover Repair  (Read 9466 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 01:59:35 am
I think I'm going to run diesel fuel in my primary.    ;D
I just may try the ATF, but then again, if the damn thing still leaks after new seals and gaskets, I'm just going to let the damn thing leak.  It's not like I've ever owned anything that hasn't leaked.   ;)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 05:01:26 am
Scotty, if you're thinking of the bike I'm thinking of that had the stock clutch running exposed, I'd note that the whole bike was more of an art project than a real riding machine.  Might not be best to take mechanical cues from that sort of thing.  I know someone who handled it in person and he had reservations about a lot of the actual workings, including the stock clutch running dry and exposed.

For what it's worth, Hitchcock (and maybe Newby direct, which is cheaper) sells the Newby dry clutch to run with the duplex primary chain.  Cheaper than the full belt setup, but I don't know by how much.

I'm going to use the belt unit on my Fireball.  When I asked Newby how often to grease the bearings, he replied: 

"We don’t have a specific mileage interval, some of our customers leave it for years, while others must get bored and do it regularly.  On my race bikes we strip them every season but my road bikes tend to get neglected.  I think most people tend to work on the “If it’s not broke don’t fix it” principle. Probably not the best approach !
If you want to check that it turns freely without any dry rough feeling when you rotate the centre with the plates removed. We can send you some of the correct synthetic grease if you want to have a go yourself. If you just want enough for the clutch bearing it’s foc, or a tub is £5 inc post and vat.  It’s best to have 3 screws for the alloy back plate in case you damage them . They are Loctited so may require heating to release. We can include these with the tub of grease.
Best regards,
Bob."

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 05:31:21 am
Oooooooohhh, Belt Drive.....    ;D  Tell me more AgentX.  I'm very curious about that set up.

Scottie

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 06:26:59 am
Oooooooohhh, Belt Drive.....    ;D  Tell me more AgentX.  I'm very curious about that set up.

Scottie

Ummm...it's expensive, Ace and Chumma both like it, and it's cheaper from Newby direct than it is from the big H.

That's all I know right now!  I'm using it to cut down on drivetrain losses, cut down noise, and because I really hate opening up a wet primary.  Regreasing the clutch hub once a year I can deal with, especially since I won't have to deal with an ATF bath when I do.

I know now that my rebuilt bike will have a reliable charging system that I won't open the primary much, but as far as I'm concerned, I've dealt with enough ATF spew my life already.  (My 350 had alternator issues, then needed the primary cases replaced...what a pain...had that thing opened what feels like a million times in the dark carport at midnight, being chomped by mosquitos)  One less seal to maintain, one less fluid to change.  Works for me. This bike will be an exercise in indulgence.

Edit:  Oh, and I've had grief from primary tensioners which would or would not fit various cases, and a stripped stud for the tensioner, etc.  The belt eliminates the tensioner, which is another "whoo-wee" moment for me.

I know it's not an issue for anyone who's never had an issue, but for me there's value in that.  One less (potentially) moving part!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:35:31 am by AgentX »

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 01:41:07 pm
Do they make a Newby for a RE twin?  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 03:22:15 pm
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 06:35:31 pm
That's interesting thanks. May try one on my next project.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 06:41:47 pm
That's interesting thanks. May try one on my next project.  ERC

I'm definitely going to be sending them an email.  So is it an exposed belt drive or is it enclosed by the primary covers still?

Scottie

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 07:13:24 pm
There's usually some sort of modified Primary Cover for safety that's partly open/vented for air cooling the clutch.  They probably leave that to you to make up.  Though I've seen people with Harleys running them open to show off.  They'll get something like a stick or pant leg in there someday.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 02:34:49 am
I'm definitely going to be sending them an email.  So is it an exposed belt drive or is it enclosed by the primary covers still?

Scottie

Far as I know, it's meant to be run enclosed.  Chuck D has one and Chumma put stylin' screened-over vents into the outer clover from what I saw on Flickr.

I can't imagine it'll implode into a singularity if you run it open, but grit between clutch plates and in the belt teeth seems inevitable and detrimental...