Author Topic: Maint Manual Recomendations?  (Read 3074 times)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
on: June 11, 2008, 03:05:36 am
I was looking at CMW in the maint manual section, any thoughts on  maintenance books to buy? I am waiting on a AVL classic to arrive. Thanks
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 12:28:01 pm
I bought the Snidal's manual on CD and am a little disappointed. Not because of the manual itself, it comes highly recommended, but because of content. The manual is 99% iron head. There is very little AVL in it though it is advertised as "updated". Don't get me wrong, there is still good info to be used for maintenance and the iron head and AVL Bullets share same frame and bodywork, but I would like to see a purely AVL engine manual. There may be one out there, but I just received the CD this week so I havent looked around for any others yet. If you run across one, let me know.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 01:42:07 pm
I was looking at CMW in the maint manual section, any thoughts on  maintenance books to buy?

Yes, see:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,1474.0.html

Matt

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 06:21:00 pm
Thank you! Paul and Thumper for the info . I think I may call customer service and ask about a shop manual.

Nacho

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 06:53:33 pm
I think it would be great if the more experienced members of this forum would create an on-line manual.  There is a lot of great information on here but you have to go searching for it.

I have the Enfield manual and even for something as basic as an oil change its not very clear - as many of you have discovered.

Thumper has made a great start with his link (which I have printed off and pinned on my wall!!).

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 08:59:25 pm

Nacho

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 07:37:21 pm
Bingo!!

Thanks  :)

jimsE

• Scooter
  • Lovin the ride
Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 01:02:26 am
I  have found the Spare Parts Catalogue (#597395) to be very useful when you have to sort out detail things that will not show up in the service manual.  Recently I reinstalled the starter gears and sprag clutch that had been on the shelf for a couple months and there are thrust washers and shims that were not mentioned in the manual but were shown clearly and in order in the exploded view in the parts book.
If I had torn it down and reassembled it immediately it would have been easy but I enjoyed kick starting while I waited for a 19T sprocket from CMW.  Couldn't remember what went where when it came to those parts.
2008 Electra, smiling jim

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 03:50:05 am
Decided to buy the Electra work shop manual.I'm hoping that book along with the owners manual will be a good start.