Author Topic: Removal of fork cover tube (which the G5 doesn't have)  (Read 2035 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Gents-

I assume that the B5 and C5 have the same forks and upper covering tubes, unlike the G5 models which have the rubber fork boots.

While I've got my forks off to change the oil, I was hoping to replace my scratched up tubes and fender.  I assumed that it was a dealer misalignment of the fender, but now it's looking like the primary problem was that one of the cover tubes was in fact badly misaligned, which I believe was probably done at the factory.  The evidence appeared when I removed the fork from the offending side, and I found just the outside edge of the top of the fork lower, which remains hidden by the covering tube throughout the fork travel,  all scarfed up from rubbing on the inside of the cover tube.  This tells me that although the fender may have been misaligned, the covering tube is definitely misaligned.  The dealer still delivered me a bike that was scratching itself all to hell, but I'm prepared to cut them a little more slack than I have been.

Has anyone had theirs off their bike?  I hoped they would come right off, but they don't.  They're secured by the triple-tree pinch bolts, but there's a plastic bushing at the top which prevents me from pulling them away even after I remove the pinch bolts.  As near as I can tell, the only way to do it is to disassemble the whole steering mechanism and drop the stem and triple tree to release the bushings, and there's just no way I'm going to do that right now.

Can anyone confirm or deny this assembly detail?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 08:56:47 pm
Sorry, don't think I've ever taken them of, just leave them dangling.  I can check the manual later tonight but from looking at the exploded diagrams in the parts manual I think they just pull off.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 09:35:49 pm
My manual doesn't mention the cover tubes, except in passing for removal of other parts (page 08-4 in my book).  It's hard to tell by looking at the parts diagram.

Tim at NField Gear wrote in an email to me,
When I disassembled a C5 front end I had to drop the stem before the tubes had enough clearance to be removed. However there may be a workaround.

My manual mentions the cover tubes in reference to "Steering Disassembly".  The steps are:
  • Remove the front fork assembly.
  • Disconnect all wires and remove headlamp and trafficators.
  • Take out cover tube, bush and washer.
  • Remove head lamp assembly.
  • etc...

I'm not sure what exactly is meant by step 2, but I just don't see that those tubes can be removed without dropping the stem, as you say.  But it says to remove the "head lamp assembly" - does that mean the whole nacelle has to be removed to drop the stem?  All to check and lube the head bearings, and to change my fork cover tubes?

You have to pull the tubes down more than 1/4 inch to clear the shoulder of the bushing, but the stem's pinch-bolt "housing" prevents that movement.  So it seems like the stem must be lowered with the tubes before they can be removed.

What's really involved with lowering the stem?  Should I do it while I'm already here and nosing around?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 10:02:33 pm
Kinda remembering what all that looks like now, yeah, you need to get the tubes lower to get them past the rubber/plastic parts.  I think you do need to at least drop the stem to do that, maybe remove it.

That's a job for sure.  I've wanted to go in and do it to lube my head bearings but haven't because it's such a pain.  Lowering it would be less trouble than removing it but still a hassle.  You need to break the large stem nut loose (loosen the pinch bolt first) and then remove or move any wires, cables, etc. in the nacelle that might hamper sliding it down.  When you do slide it down all the ball bearings in the lower race will fall on the floor and will get lost if you're not careful.  They're individually loose, not held in a cage.

If it were me I'd leave the old tubes in place for now, put it back together, and ride.  Make hay while the sun shines.  Save the cover tube swap for a winter project when you're not riding.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 10:06:53 pm
Save the cover tube swap for a winter project when you're not riding.

Or, more likely, for when I need to relube the bearings and have to dismantle it anyway...

Thanks, Scottie...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 10:08:52 pm
Riding beats wrenching any day, and especially on sunny days ;)