Author Topic: Handlebar Bolt  (Read 824 times)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 24, 2013, 08:21:27 am
The steel upper left handle bar bolt came out with aluminum in its threads. I should have used anti seize compound when I switched my bars. I've gone back to RE stock bars. I tried filling the lower part of the bolt hole with an AB plastic epoxy, that can be threaded. I couldn't get it to thread so well.
I had to do it...
I went with an M12 x 1.50 thread into the upper aluminum. My local hardware had the bolt, but I had to shorten it. I used two washers to shorten the length. I used anti seize this time.
It's different, but the bars will stay on.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 02:57:51 pm
All the handlebar mounting holes on my bike have been drilled and tapped to 5/16-24 SAE threads.  I also changed the bolts to "button head" hex bolts because I was having a hard time getting a socket or wrench on the 2 lower bolts under the handle bars.  Now I just slip an Allen wrench in there and I'm done.  Looks a lot cleaner too.  Also, a PO had drilled a hole through the center of the clamp and handle bar and put a nail in it to keep the bars from moving.  It looked like crap and was ineffective, so I drilled out that hole and tapped it as well.

Scottie
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:04:42 pm by Scottie J »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 05:58:58 pm
Also, a PO had drilled a hole through the center of the clamp and handle bar and put a nail in it to keep the bars from moving.

"Nails:  making beer-can shims and electrical tape wrapping look ghetto since 1853."