HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

My new ride

in
Members Rides

NField Gear

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2016, 04:06:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Handlebar Bolt  (Read 266 times)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Handlebar Bolt
« on: June 24, 2013, 02:21:27 am »
The steel upper left handle bar bolt came out with aluminum in its threads. I should have used anti seize compound when I switched my bars. I've gone back to RE stock bars. I tried filling the lower part of the bolt hole with an AB plastic epoxy, that can be threaded. I couldn't get it to thread so well.
I had to do it...
I went with an M12 x 1.50 thread into the upper aluminum. My local hardware had the bolt, but I had to shorten it. I used two washers to shorten the length. I used anti seize this time.
It's different, but the bars will stay on.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Handlebar Bolt
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 08:57:51 am »
All the handlebar mounting holes on my bike have been drilled and tapped to 5/16-24 SAE threads.  I also changed the bolts to "button head" hex bolts because I was having a hard time getting a socket or wrench on the 2 lower bolts under the handle bars.  Now I just slip an Allen wrench in there and I'm done.  Looks a lot cleaner too.  Also, a PO had drilled a hole through the center of the clamp and handle bar and put a nail in it to keep the bars from moving.  It looked like crap and was ineffective, so I drilled out that hole and tapped it as well.

Scottie
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 09:04:42 am by Scottie J »
Scottie J used to own bikes.  Now he just lurks around in the dark.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Handlebar Bolt
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 11:58:58 am »
Also, a PO had drilled a hole through the center of the clamp and handle bar and put a nail in it to keep the bars from moving.

"Nails:  making beer-can shims and electrical tape wrapping look ghetto since 1853."