Author Topic: Road trip!  (Read 3311 times)

herrbongo

• Scooter
on: June 18, 2013, 05:58:02 pm
I'm getting the bike ready for a 1000 mile road trip up to Canada this weekend, and hope to have some good pics and tales of mechanical woe to share.  The bike was new to me as of a few weeks ago, so I've been racking up miles trying to ferret out the gremlins prior to leaving.  I have put 250 miles on over the last week, and already found issues.

It's a G2 cased, Indian "restored", Bullet 500.  I have no idea of the history, so anything is possible.  So far I've bridged the alternator outputs to get full charging and overcome the DC spliced headlight.  After overheating in traffic, I've advanced the timing and switched to full synthetic 20W50.  There was quite a bit of blueing on the exhaust, and it was down on power.  I broke and replaced the clutch cable already, and have a spare riding along now.  All other fluids were changed.  I've got a 15lb tool kit coming with too (to support mine and other vintage bikes riding along). 

Does anyone else have recommendations for things not to leave home without?  The other bikes coming along are a 40's era BSA M20, Norton Commando, two BMWs, and a newer cruiser of some sort.  With the M20 along, I don't have to worry about being the slowest bike.  I'll update this post with pics from the road.
1955 Indian Fire Arrow
Yamaha RD350
DL650
KDX200
Vespa 50 Special
Air-cooled VWs

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 06:21:28 pm
have a great time and please keep the forum updated on your progress.  The vintage guys would be interested in "what happens" along the way.  And include pictures when possible. 

rv 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 07:44:45 pm
Yes! I love road trips.

No advice on your particular machine. You sound like a guy riding with guys who all know how to keep up their machines. As a former Norton owner, glad to see that and an Enfield traveling together.

Good luck, and remember...pics or it didn't happen.  8)

Be safe.
-Milk

2003 Royal Enfield Military
2009 Genuine Blackjack - MrsMilk's ride

I'm trying to make my Enfield an adventure machine:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12951.0.html

Ever want to ride a scooter to Canada??
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690259

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 08:43:42 pm
15 pounds of tools! Are you going to change the Isolastic mounts on the Norton? ...just kidding. Anyone have a tire pump with Slime?
On my last trip I found places selling 20 - 50w oil. But you might want to bring some oil. A spark plug is a good idea. A length of wire can be good for a few things. Duct tape. First aid kit. TP. A towel.
  Pick and choose. Depending on where you are some things can be purchased while you're out there.
Good luck and have a good time.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 09:04:29 pm
My first road trip was to Colorado from Houston.  After 4 days and 1500 miles, I arrived on a Saturday to my destination.  On Monday, I shipped a 20lb box of stuff that I realized I did not need and did not want to pack home on the bike the following week.  That box arrived my home the same day I arrived home.    Ride and learn. 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

herrbongo

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 09:43:53 pm
15 lbs is a lot, but I have some stuff in there for everyone.  My friend's M20 came with a neat little tool kit that even has a mini grease gun (about the size of a roll of dimes).  I use it to lube the distributor shaft.  It also has a pump mounted to it.  My bike, being assembled from untold bits, I need SAE, Metric, and Whitworth wrenches!  Good idea on the slime.  I have a tube, but I tend to pinch those when I install them >:(   
1955 Indian Fire Arrow
Yamaha RD350
DL650
KDX200
Vespa 50 Special
Air-cooled VWs

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 10:08:07 pm
If your tool kit doesn't have one, a small multimeter (volt/ohm) could be very handy to sort out electrical problems.  The Norton guy will be very grateful.  ;D

I bought a very small one, smaller than a pack of cigarettes, at a Fry's Electronics for $8 and stuck it in a small pocket on my saddlebags.  I think Harbor Freight also carries them.  If nothing else, just having it along might keep the electrical gremlins away.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:11:59 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

jedaks

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 11:20:51 pm
A spare fuse and a headlamp bulb can be handy.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 03:55:15 am
+1 to all of the above.  Everything I bring on road trips has already been mentioned.

+10 to the multimeter and extra fuses
Have s safe trip and take plenty of pics!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 05:00:50 am
Seldom thought of, but quite nice to have, is a pack of those Toddler Towelettes from the infant section at the grocery or pharmacy.  They take the dirt and grease off your hands, nose and forehead, which you will inevitably get, surgical gloves or not.  And they're just refreshing sometimes.
Have safe fun and I hope you never need the tools!
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

herrbongo

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 10:37:44 pm
Alright, in case you were worried, I did make it.  All said and done it was roughly 900 miles in 4 days.  The Enfield didn't miss a beat!  Actually it did, about halfway into day one it misfired about 4 or 5 times in quick succession.  It never did it again.  I guess it wanted to give me something to worry about as we got deeper and deeper into the woods. 

All the bikes made it, but not without repairs.  Parts kept rattling off the BSA M20, and it seems we couldn't go more than 50 miles without having to stop and search the ditch.  The newer 80's BMW actually had me the most worried, as it was blowing smoke like a locomotive.  It came and went, and the valves were adjusted before we left.  Top end is all new too, so quite the mystery.  The 1970 BMW had electrical issues the whole trip and kept killing.  Something to do with the main key switch.  The clutch on the Norton had to be pulled on the last morning and retorqued. 

The dumbest repair was me dumping the Enfield and breaking the headlight.  On one of our many stops to pick up M20 parts off the road I decided to move the bike to get out of harm's way.  The peg cought me in the calf and threw me off balance.  A second later I'm looking at a bunch of broken glass and a dented tank.  Since the bulb still worked, we fastened a handsome square slab of plexi to the front with duct tape.  It would keep out the elements, which is all I could hope for.  The dent on the tank isn't bad.  If nothing else, it makes it look mean.  Something to remember the trip by!

Here is the first installment of the video recap.  The M20 was shooting footage pretty much the whole trip, so there will be more to come.

http://vimeo.com/69394084
1955 Indian Fire Arrow
Yamaha RD350
DL650
KDX200
Vespa 50 Special
Air-cooled VWs

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 10:47:48 pm
Wow!  That looks like a LOT of fun!  I plan on doing some Rocky Mountain back roads this summer.  That's so awesome that the RE is doing the best of all the bikes.   :)  Glad to hear everyone is safe and you're having fun.  Be Safe!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

herrbongo

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 10:48:27 pm
... And I used probably 80% of the 15lbs tool bag.  It was surprising how much of that junk came out of the bag at some point for this or that. 

The Enfield and the BSA cruised at 55 - 60 the whole way.  The Bullet returned about 60mpg.  On the third day the BSA pulled away and tried to go 65 for a while.  After about a half hour I came upon it on the side of the road because the fuel in the float bowl was boiling.  He even had fabricated a heatshield prior to the trip, but with the all-metal intake it eventually got too hot at the carb.  After a 15min wait, and back to the 60mph limit, it never happened again.  My bike clearly did not like anything above 60.  It is a 5-speed, but I guess that just means more gears in the middle because top speed is still limited.

I don't thing the Norton ever got into fourth gear... seriously.
1955 Indian Fire Arrow
Yamaha RD350
DL650
KDX200
Vespa 50 Special
Air-cooled VWs

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 10:49:10 pm
Great video. Shows what you can do with old iron.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 11:12:36 am
Wow!  That looks like a LOT of fun!  I plan on doing some Rocky Mountain back roads this summer.  That's so awesome that the RE is doing the best of all the bikes.   :)  Glad to hear everyone is safe and you're having fun.  Be Safe!
Scottie
[/size]

hey Scottie- if ya make the Western Slope, Gimme a shout.
I've got a beer and a couch for ya- Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill