Author Topic: Front Spindle Nut Frozen  (Read 897 times)

Lunchbag

• Scooter
on: June 16, 2013, 08:46:59 pm
Thanks for the help with the rear wheel bearing change on my 2005 Bullet 500.

Now I've got the front wheel off to replace rubber and bearings.  I removed the nut on the left side of the spindle, pulled the brake components off, and tapped the spindle out of the hub from left to right.  The left bearing remained in the wheel and should be no problem to tap out.  But the 15/16" nut on the right side of the spindle, immediately to the right (outboard) of the speedometer drive assembly, will not break free.

I have clamped the spindle in a vice and worked at the nut with a large box wrench.  I'm just turning the whole spindle in the vice and scoring it.  I've used several shots of PB Blaster with no joy.  OK, if the spindle is reverse-threaded on the right side I probably just torqued it on beyond all hope, but it appears from the little bit of thread I can see that it is normal-threaded.

What can I do?  If I can't break the nut free the right wheel bearing is stuck on the spindle forever.  The bearing appears to work fine but I don't want to admit failure...I want to put the new bearing on.  Thank you.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 08:55:10 pm
Heat the nut with a torch and then put the wrench on it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Lunchbag

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 09:22:42 pm
I think the torch would melt the speedo assembly adjacent to the nut.

Lunchbag

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 09:47:59 pm
Got it off, thanks.

Problem was my vice.  The flat edge of the vice jaws couldn't grip the round spindle without allowing slippage and scoring.  I used the spindle clamp on the right fork as a vice and that held it from slipping as I tapped with a hammer on a ratchet handle driving a 15/16" deep socket.  That got it.