Author Topic: Gas cap leak?  (Read 2335 times)

George Baker

• Scooter
on: October 01, 2014, 07:57:09 pm
Greetings,
     Topped off my gas tank recently on my 06 Electra to find that it was leaking from under the front part of the cap. I pulled the cap off in hopes of being able to replace the gasket somehow. However, it appeares to be crimped together rather permanently.
     I gave the gasket a coating of brake fluid (which I have been told does soften and preserve), I'll let you know if it works.
     Other than replacing the cap (which I assume is readily available) has anyone else have any tricks or suggestions.

thank you,
GB

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 08:22:47 pm
The leak, on the AVLs at least, is pretty common.  NField Gear sells a cork gas cap ring that helps keep the leak at bay, although it's still not perfect.  I don't fill it up to the top as it will still find it's way out when leaned over, but it's significantly better than going without one.  I couldn't find the part on a quick glance but give them a call if you are interested and they'll sort you out.  I recommend buying a couple at a time as they will dry out after a while.

Replacing that cap is the way to go in the long run.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 04:00:44 am
I don't fill it up to the top as it will still find it's way out when leaned over, but it's significantly better than going without one.

+1 to that. My experience as well.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 08:33:58 pm
I bought a pack of gasket material at a hardware store and cut a thick flat ring out of it. It's like a 1/8" thick rubber reddish orange material.   I crammed this up onto the gas cap and it's seems to work great.  about three years and counting so far.

I have to push down hard on my gas cap to shut it but I guess that means it's making a strong seal?

Best of luck!

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 07:40:49 pm
i think i used the same gasket as you almost red orange rubber material worked great

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 09:46:00 pm
Agreed- simple enough and I'd do it again!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 06:58:29 pm
I was hesitant to use cork gasket to fix gas leak from my G5 tank cap but it is perhaps the best solution, better than anything else I have tried. It works extremely well and is pretty inexpensive !

The cork-rubber sheet to make gasket should be gas & oil resistant type.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qtAOoKsvq8

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 07:26:25 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5