Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 1610 times)

Joash

• Scooter
on: June 17, 2013, 03:09:02 pm
Hello,
I've been perusing the forum for the last few months, leading up to the purchase of my bike, and wanted to introduce my self formally. Really do appreciate the wealth of information shared on this site and I'm very impressed by the level of participation and loyalty for this relatively unknown brand of motorcycle.
Anyway, I finally purchased a 2013 C5 Military from a dealer here in Michigan about 50 miles from where I currently live in Grand Rapids Michigan. I am new to riding in the US (rode a RE very briefly on a visit to India about 25 years ago) and in fact have my classes upcoming next month.
Hope to keep learning as I go along and maybe I can share a little bit on the forum here and there.
........still can't believe they import these totally special bikes here :) perfect for Michigan backroads. Enjoying every minute so far.
cheers
Joash

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 04:29:37 pm
Welcome Joash, it's nice to see another Michiganian come to the forum. I am in S.E. M.I. and i wish there was a dealer within the comfortable riding distance of my Iron Barrel 03'. You will learn a great deal on this forum, ride safe man!
Robert & REnfield. 8) 8) 8).

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 07:48:26 pm
Fifty miles to the dealer is a good thing. It gives you a chance to take a good ride to go see him. It helps with the break-in process. It also gives you plenty of time to warm the engine up when you need your 300 mile oil change, etc.
Congratulations on your choice. The bikes are wonderful.
Also, one of the first things to ditch is the stock Bosch spark plug. Get a NGK BPR6ES for it. It will love you forever!
Bare
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:53:03 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 09:50:03 am
i'd be pretty happy if the dealer was only 50 miles away. mine would be an 8 hour round trip plus time waiting for the service.
better of doing the easy stuff yourself.
if you run into trouble -plenty here with good advise. :)

jammydodger

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 11:53:08 am
Hi Joash,

You're story sounds similar to mine, I'm also new to motorcyling and doing my tests soon. Great news on a new bike, I'm about to do my first service myself. Speak soon!

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 05:19:43 pm
I think the MSF Basic Riders class is essential. Be careful out there.
I got my 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet G5 Standard in April of this year.
Its so much fun to ride. I now understand why people are so crazy about these bikes. They are just fun and different. Its a great back roads cruiser and city motorcycle.

Right now the motorcycle is in the shop getting repairs from when I laid the bike down after swerving to avoid in SUV that was going to take me out. Unfortunately i served into railroad tracks and that took me down. If I hadn't of had the class I suspect it would have been worse. Also wearing my helmet and gloves made a huge difference. I walked away from that accident.

Enjoy your Royal Enfield. I can't wait to get back on it. But the broken collarbone has to heal first.

bikesnob

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 06:49:35 pm
Congrats on your new Enfield, the more miles you put on them the better they get.
Steve
2013 Bonniville T 100 (sold)
2010 BMW R1200GS (sold)
2011 Bullet C5 (sold)
2015 Indian Chieftain
2016 BMW R1200GS
2017 Triumph Street Twin

Joash

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 01:32:17 pm
Thanks guys, appreciate all the tips. I've been using it to commute to work, and am totally loving the sound and the lines of the bike. Perfect combination of classic British and Indian aesthetics. A friend named her Pippa. Trying to attach a picture- hope it works.