Author Topic: Slick Wheelie towing device  (Read 6928 times)

busmec

• Scooter
on: June 16, 2013, 04:01:05 am
Does anyone have one of these towing devices or know someone who does? Its fits on the trailer hitch & you set the front tire in it & tow the motor cycle behind vehicle. And of course the inevitable question can you tow with bike in neutral or do you have to remove the chain? I'm thinking about getting one to take bike on vacation with me.
I know your asking why don't you ride it , I'm too old & going too far over 500 miles.
   Dan

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 05:09:48 am
I haven't seen one but IMO the chain on or chain off would depend on which Royal Enfield you have.

If you are towing a Iron Barrel or a AVL you could leave the chain on.  Both of these models have a good supply of lube in the transmission (if it didn't leak out over the years).

The UCE transmission depends on the engine running to supply a lot of the oil that lubes the gears so it would be best to remove the rear chain before towing it very far with the engine off.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 05:52:49 am
I hauled the RE from Houston to San Antonio with this motorcycled hitch and had no problems.  Cheap, well made, and sturdy.  Plus you don't have to worry about the bike being in neutral.  If you've got a low hitch (minivan, sedan, etc) you'll need to be careful of the clearance.  If you've got a higher hitch position (truck), then you're probably not looking for one of these anyways and would just strap it to your bed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00067MVBS

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 01:58:09 pm
Other options from Harbor Freight. You'd need to add a plywood deck and some tie-downs, but still a very viable solution.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=Trailer+%26+Accessories
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 02:36:19 pm
I have a small car; its hitch doesn't have the tongue weight capacity to hold my bike, so I couldn't try Shamelin's idea.

As Arizoni says, the running engine lubes the transmission, so if I had to transport my bike (without riding it!), I'd be inclined to do what I could to keep both wheels off the ground if I were me...

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 06:05:23 pm
I'd remove the chain anyway to be completely comfortable.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 09:17:24 pm
How could you put a trailer hitch on something that doesn't have tongue weight capacity for dragging an Enfield? What's the towing capacity of your car?
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 10:06:54 pm
It will drag the Enfield no trouble; it just won't carry the whole weight of the Enfield.  It's a small car, and a small trailer hitch.  Not sure, but I think that it's got a 200 lb tongue weight limit.  That's the max dead weight the hitch is designed to support.  My car's towing capacity is 1000 lbs.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 11:28:45 pm
The harbor freight trailers come with added cost of registering, licencing and insuring a trailer, whereas a two inch receiver hitch mount jobbie isn't classed as a trailer, so no added fees.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 12:57:25 am
The harbor freight trailers come with added cost of registering, licencing and insuring a trailer, whereas a two inch receiver hitch mount jobbie isn't classed as a trailer, so no added fees.

+1   Excellent point!
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 02:05:57 am
Merely presented as an option, especially if doing frequent long-distance hauls, and the added convenience of not half-disassembling the bike every time it's transported.

'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 02:39:29 am
I wasn't dissing the trailer idea, it would definitely come in handy for other chores in addition to hauling the bike around. I'm quite comfortable pulling a trailer myself. Hope to pick up a Ural with one someday.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

busmec

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 04:33:03 am
Thanks for feedback guys , I have a email in to CMW to see what they have to say.  I'm not wanting a trailer because you have to store it when not in use. I'll have to check and see what my hitch weight limit is , towing it won't be a problem , but supporting the whole bike on it could present a problem.

Dan

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 03:00:41 pm
For awhile I had a crosswise rail bike rack that had about a 500lb capacity & fit into a large hitch receiver. It would swing down on one end to load. I couldn't push the bikes up the slope,so got rid of it.
  Speaking of steep slopes, a neighbor with a huge 1800cc cruiser bought the cheapest possible, assemble yourself, Harbor Freight Trailor. I told him how hard it would be to load the bike with that high a trailer & heavy bike. soon after both bike & trailer were gone - wonder if he dropped it?
  I have owned a stand-up KENDON bike trailer for awhile. It has an under slung torsion bar axle, & car wheels. It is no more than 12" off the ground & easy to load. It also folds in the middle & will stand straight up in any garage. It has castors & only takes up about 5' X2'. Hardly know its behind a vehicle when pulled. Check them out on Ebay used, they are REAL nice.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 03:00:21 am
Speaking from recent experience, I can honestly say the Harbor-Freight trailer conversion is dicer than one might think.

I bull-dogged through a conversion (not quite finished in time) and figured I could "make-do" ......

Well, my wife was not impressed with having to help lift the B5 off my back, and, help me extract it from in between the trailer and car-bumper.

The good news is, I hear replacement front fenders are reasonably available from NFG through my local dealer !

1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5