Author Topic: parking lights / pub lights?  (Read 2183 times)

Roland

• Scooter
on: June 11, 2008, 02:45:11 am
just received my 2008 classic and was surprized that it had a thumb switch on the right that lets me toggle the headlight off and on as well as the parking lights (if thats what those fish eyes are called)  However, if these little guys are considered parking lights, why cant i keep them on when parked.  I could but I would have to leave the key in with the ignition on.  whats the point. perhaps im doing something incorrect to keep them on when parked.....?
2008 classic AVL
1992 Harley Davidson FatBoy

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 03:09:06 am
From what I hear, those lights a not for parking, but more of a running light for ally ways.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 01:54:58 pm
just received my 2008 classic and was surprized that it had a thumb switch on the right that lets me toggle the headlight off and on as well as the parking lights (if thats what those fish eyes are called)  However, if these little guys are considered parking lights, why cant i keep them on when parked.  I could but I would have to leave the key in with the ignition on.  whats the point. perhaps im doing something incorrect to keep them on when parked.....?

I call 'em parking lights too....shows my age.

I'm surprised your switch works as I thought that it's been law since the late 70's that MCs have to have the headlight on per DOT....unless you're not in the US?

I guess you'd have to do some rewiring to get them to stay on when parked. Maybe a simple toggle switch.

Matt

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 03:26:51 pm
Simple. Pop out the headlight, (two screws), and remove the white jumper. I think someone posted directions here before. Voila, you now have to remember to turn your headlight ON before you ride. I've forgotten a few times already, but so far, Johnny Law hasn't said anything.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 09:58:19 pm
I believe that law applies to importers. As the owner you can modify it as you wish.
Look at the Hogedly choppers with no front brake.