Author Topic: Ditch your stock chain!  (Read 16979 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #75 on: June 26, 2013, 10:08:15 pm
Just installed a DID roller chain for $42. It is better quality then the stock Diamond.
Why are some of you purchasing $150 chains? Why?

I did install a DID standard before but went with an x-ring DID this time.  Just shear laziness.  I live in Portland, OR and the chain gets wet a lot.  If I want to keep up with a traditional chain I need to clean and lube often.  I didn't and paid the price, only about 6500 miles and it was getting a bit sloppy.  With an x-ring I should get 10-15k miles (3-5 years) even with my slacker lubing habits.  I've got a family and little enough time to ride as it is, it's just easier for me.

Scott

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: June 27, 2013, 02:02:27 am
I've got a family and little enough time to ride as it is, it's just easier for me.
Ditto.  Got enough maintenance and work to do.  Some people detail their cars every weekend.  I have 340k miles and 22 years on my Mercedes and waxing every weekend isn't why.  10 - 15k on a chain that is less work is worth $115 to me.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Boots

• Scooter
Reply #77 on: June 28, 2013, 06:46:41 am
Ok, I'll be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about motorcycle maintenance, and am mechanically challenged...

but ever since I replaced my stock chain with an O-ring chain, the bike "seems" to run a lot better.  And the peace of mind is worth a lot to me!
Boots

2012 Royal Enfield B5 ~ The Raven ~
Ya, I know it's slow. But I've always been a little slow. (budump bump!)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: June 28, 2013, 04:22:22 pm
I must be weird, I actually enjoy doing maintenance on my bike.  (Except the whole waiting parts part).  I quick detail it before almost every ride and do a full detail once out twice a week.  Always checking the oil, checking the chain tension and oiling, clean the carb on a fairly regular basis...  I just enjoy being 1 with my bike/s.  It's almost like we communicate with each other.  Even when I'm out riding, I listen to what the bike has to say and I address everything that comes to my attention.  So cleaning the chain and oiling it every couple weeks gives me something to do, to keep my idle hands at bay.   Plus, being this obsessed helps me find problems that may have normally been over looked, like the blown intake gaskets that had me baffled as to why I couldn't tune the carb just right.

Anyways.  Just wanted to throw that out there.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #79 on: June 28, 2013, 04:29:06 pm
I must be weird, I actually enjoy doing maintenance on my bike.  (Except the whole waiting parts part).  I quick detail it before almost every ride and do a full detail once out twice a week.  Always checking the oil, checking the chain tension and oiling, clean the carb on a fairly regular basis...  I just enjoy being 1 with my bike/s.  It's almost like we communicate with each other.  Even when I'm out riding, I listen to what the bike has to say and I address everything that comes to my attention.  So cleaning the chain and oiling it every couple weeks gives me something to do, to keep my idle hands at bay.   Plus, being this obsessed helps me find problems that may have normally been over looked, like the blown intake gaskets that had me baffled as to why I couldn't tune the carb just right.

Anyways.  Just wanted to throw that out there.

Scottie

+1 
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #80 on: June 28, 2013, 04:43:48 pm
I like working on my bike too but I'd much rather ride and I just don't have as much time as I did when I was younger.

Scott

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: June 28, 2013, 05:00:36 pm
I like working on my bike too but I'd much rather ride and I just don't have as much time as I did when I was younger.

Scott

That's where your kids come into play!  You get to teach them something valuable and useful, you're getting help with the bike, and you're spending time with the kids.
IT'S A WIN, WIN, WIN!  My son has been cranking wrenches with me since he was 6 years old, and now I'm starting to get my step-sons' hands dirty too.  I love teaching my kids new things.   :D

Scottie

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: June 28, 2013, 05:18:38 pm
It's wonderful to spend time with young ones and if one's hobby is polishing motorcycles I hope you enjoy it, but I have to agree with Ducati Scotty.
My girl is 28, knows how to change oil, change a tire and shoots trap better than I, but she'd still rather I do maintenance stuff for her.   :)  She isn't interested in playing with motorcycles these days.  Now that I've sidetracked this issue...
Before I put the bike away I do a once over for loose stuff, check the chain and oil, wipe off any new road tar, bugs, and rain - basic PM stuff.  Before I ride I check tires and lights.  I don't spend lots of time making her perfect, pretty, or fiddling with stuff that isn't broke.  Scheduled maintenance is by schedule.  When I was young and single I lavished love and too much attention to my vehicles.  Have other stuff I enjoy or need to do more now.
1975 XLCH

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: June 28, 2013, 05:31:35 pm
+1
Same here.
They have so much on their head: the commute, the job and all that. But she does the checks, and is interested in the debriefings.  :D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #84 on: June 28, 2013, 05:43:16 pm
+1
Same here.
They have so much on their head: the commute, the job and all that. But she does the checks, and is interested in the debriefings.  :D
Yep, they're still our babies, but they aren't babies any more.  :)
1975 XLCH

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #85 on: June 28, 2013, 06:17:01 pm
My son is 3 1/2 right now and the only rule now is don't touch the bike when daddy isn't there.  He doesn't need the burn scars I have.  He does help me wash it already :)

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FvqTzJ2DxpiS66w-Q05eATWqsibjQdtdwJPEIOGFVPA?feat=directlink

I can only hope to fix my kids' vehicles when I get older.  It would at least make me useful for something ;)

Scott

Boots

• Scooter
Reply #86 on: June 28, 2013, 09:31:38 pm
Scotty, what a great picture! That's one for the book.
Boots

2012 Royal Enfield B5 ~ The Raven ~
Ya, I know it's slow. But I've always been a little slow. (budump bump!)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: June 28, 2013, 10:06:01 pm
Awesome pic Scotty!  I live for the little moments like that.    :)

Scottie

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #88 on: June 29, 2013, 01:28:53 am
Put my new DID 530 VX chain on today!!

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #89 on: June 29, 2013, 02:08:01 am
Why are some of you purchasing $150 chains? Why?

Because it's my bike, and I want (and can afford) the best.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)