Author Topic: Ditch your stock chain!  (Read 16972 times)

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #60 on: June 21, 2013, 12:47:23 am
Maybe its the lube i'm using ...My teeth look okay too..
Greenmachine, what lube does your Dentist recommend for your teeth.... ;D
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #61 on: June 21, 2013, 03:28:21 am
Thanks for posting the link, Arizoni.
Made for a good read, and gentle reminder that I've forgotten more than I've learned.  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

dougodewitt

• Scooter
  • 2019 INT650 Baker Express
Reply #62 on: June 21, 2013, 04:06:49 am
With that post Arizoni, I was able to find out that my chain is in great shape, and at the perfect tension...  I just need to clean it now. I can't tell if it is an aftermarket chain, though I just turned over 2000mi, so the previous owner could have replaced it..(sprockets look good too).
RIDE, ride, NOW! Ride!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: June 21, 2013, 03:30:36 pm
Bulletman: Been using that type f mix for a long time now and it seems to keep the dirt from accumulating in the nooks n crannies... ;D...As you are aware, the chain adjustment and u might as well include the rear brake adjustment in the process isn't too much a PIA but I've  only done it twice since I own the bike new...Nothing wrong with replacing with a better quality chain especially if you ride in a spirited fashion on the blacktop...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: June 21, 2013, 09:56:24 pm
I just picked up a new Tsubaki chain today.  I've heard good things about them and it was only $60.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: June 21, 2013, 10:07:29 pm
I just picked up a new Tsubaki chain today.  I've heard good things about them and it was only $60.
Scottie
They look pretty heavy duty.  I've only put about 65 miles on mine since I put it on Wednesday night, so I can't really comment on the service yet.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #66 on: June 22, 2013, 05:54:13 am
My Tsubaki arrived today, but I'll have to wait a week to change it out.  :(
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
Reply #67 on: June 25, 2013, 01:55:32 am

Scottie

Guess I should have looked locally! I ordered the sprocket, brake shoes, and church rubber from out hosts, and a Tsubaki chain online. The chain was $115... Couldn't find it for less online. Oops. Anyway, it arrived today.
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #68 on: June 26, 2013, 04:16:24 pm
Alan LaRue - You must have ordered the O-Ring chain for $115.  I just got the standard heavy duty Tsubaki chain.  I didn't want an O-Ring chain because I play in the dirt a lot and need to clean and oil my chain often.  I've found that fastest and easiest way to clean a chain is to put the bike on it's center stand and place a drip pan under the rear sprocket.  Start the bike and idle it in 1st gear to allow the rear tire to spin, then hose the chain down at the bottom of the rear sprocket with a can of brake cleaner.  After the chain is visibly clean, let the tire spin for about another 30 seconds.  Shut the bike off and take a clean rag and wipe off the chain.  Start the bike again and put it in 1st and give the chain a good coat of chain oil.  Make sure you spray the chain from all sides.  DONE!  Whole procedure only takes 5 minutes and works very well.  You can also use a small wire brush while the chain is spinning (BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO LOSE A FINGER!) and coated in brake cleaner to remove heavily soiled chains.

HEADS UP!!!!!  I was informed by a bike mechanic who said this procedure IS NOT recommended for O and X ring chains.  That's why I didn't buy one.

Scottie

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #69 on: June 26, 2013, 06:17:54 pm
I've seen a few posts over time of severed fingers from letting a bike idle while cleaning or lubing the chain.  It just takes one slip.  Even at idle speed a turning rear wheel has a lot of momentum and whatever slips into the cogs is going to get mashed.  Be careful.

And yeah, don't be that harsh to an o-ring or x-ring chain.  Easy enough to clean them by just spraying on lots of fresh lube and wiping them down, then apply a bit more fresh lube and let it dry.  When a o-ring chain is done, it's done and there's not much you can to resurrect it or free a frozen link, but they last so long with so little maintenance it's worth it in my book.  Traditional chains do need more thorough and regular cleaning and lubing.  Not really much work to do but I'm very, very lazy ;)

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #70 on: June 26, 2013, 06:48:14 pm
Actually, frozen links on an Oring chain can be loosened with ACF50. The reason they stick is because they are rusting, because the lube people use is not getting through to the inside behind the Orings. Heavy chain lubes, like Chain Wax, and some other thick ones, are noted for this. PJ1s fame, as it were, is because it is thin enough to get behind the Orings. ACF50 will too, and it removes the rust, freeing the links. Don't use it as a lube, just a cleaner. Unfortunately, water is thin enough to get behind the Orings and wash out the original lube, especially if one is using a pressure spray to wash the bike.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #71 on: June 26, 2013, 07:13:57 pm
Good to know Bare, thanks!  I find PJ1 has more fling than I like, Maxima chain wax is cleaner.  Then again, I'm sure it doesn't work as well.

Scott

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #72 on: June 26, 2013, 08:23:58 pm
Just removed my stock Indian "Diamond" brand chain.
 Over 5000 miles of wet and grit use,.. all links were working, no rust dust, still had life left in it, and no real issues but normal wear and good sprockets.

I think some of you guys are chain purchasing Nazi's .You need to become chain lubing Nazis instead.

Just installed a DID roller chain for $42. It is better quality then the stock Diamond.
Why are some of you purchasing $150 chains? Why?
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #73 on: June 26, 2013, 08:49:16 pm
So e of the stock chains are great and last a long time, and some are terrible and just stretch and stretch from day one.  And then some seen fine for a bit and then eat a set of sprockets out if nowhere.  I lubed mine very well and it died quickly anyway.  Whether you get a good one seems to be luck of the draw, and I don't like to gamble like that.  As you just said, about $40 and you're all set with nothing to worry about.

Scott

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #74 on: June 26, 2013, 09:10:13 pm
I've seen a few posts over time of severed fingers from letting a bike idle while cleaning or lubing the chain.  It just takes one slip.  Even at idle speed a turning rear wheel has a lot of momentum and whatever slips into the cogs is going to get mashed.  Be careful........

That's why I always clean/oil the chain at the back of the rear sprocket.  Can't get my fingers caught if the chain is already ON the sprocket.

Scottie