Author Topic: Ditch your stock chain!  (Read 17000 times)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #30 on: June 17, 2013, 04:31:53 pm
$600 for a service + a tyre?! That is one ultimate rip off man. What is this crap? The Wollongong dealer takes $205 for the service. They are nice people. However, I decided to do everything by myself so I know what's happening with the bike etc and not to worry if the stuff is being done correctly or not.

But I still can't believe the $600 including a tyre. The tyre would've been approx $100, correct? Rest for the service? You should put in a complaint to to FairWork Australia or something  ::) I am really grateful I chose Ron @ Wollongong as my dealer, even though I'm in Sydney.

Or are you including the $300 for the sprocket in the grand total of $600? Either way..it is stuffed up.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 04:34:06 pm by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: June 17, 2013, 07:33:31 pm
I have the o-ring chain of a C5 on my electra for a good 9000 km (a bit under 6000 M) now. No complaints nor remarks. These are good.
Bonus: one does not have to change the front sprocket as these o-ring chains are a tat slimmer and fit just fine.

The C5s come with an 18 T sprocket which is why an Oring chain will fit. An O ring chain will not fit with a 17T sprocket as the chain rubs the bearing housing. The sprocket diameter and width of an oring chain are the culprits. As for the Oring chain that are OEM  on the C5s, they are somewhat better than the POS on the G5s, but to call them quality uses the term very loosely!  They are not good chains. If I had a C5, the chain would've been ditched early on. Better to get rid of a known not-good-chain and save the sprockets, than wait too long and need them. Sprockets are kind of expensive compared to replacing a a junker with a good chain. And the sprockets are rather labor intensive to change!
Bare 
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: June 17, 2013, 09:42:01 pm
You make a good argument.
My concern is the loss of torque on increasing the teeth of the front sprocket. I'd rather investigate a reduction. My preferred riding is in the dirt where speed or mid-zone cruising comfort is insignificant versus the demand for torque.
Those are the horns on my bull (do I take the left, the right or jump right over).  :D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #33 on: June 17, 2013, 10:22:49 pm
A good non oring chain will last much longer than stock and costs about $40.  You need to be better about your maintenance than with an oring chain but that's not to hard. 

Scott

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: June 18, 2013, 12:43:11 am
aussie dave
purchased from hitchcocks uk -never used will pm you

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: June 18, 2013, 03:34:28 am
No JVS, the 300 for sprocket was 2 months after this service. ive spent nearly 2000 in that shop since last july. not to mention the $800 i got charged by their motorcycle finance company who were really paper pushers who just got the loan for me through GE money. I could have done that myself with GE money. The bike is less than a year old. goes well, really well. love it alot! My job involves alot of driving. I bought the enfield for the warranty and because it was new. My old machine was just a px200 vespa which i loved but every year i was replacing the clutch/clutch plates so i thought id get something new that needed less repairs(im 100kg, vespa was 200kg/200cc). That hasnt happened so far with the enfield and nothing major has even happened to it yet!and by the way, the wheel was out of alignment and the tube was too big after the $600 service/tyre. i discovered the tubes recently when i got a flat on the rear. i replced with a tube they gave me that was also the wrong size. this time too small!!! no biggie, but....you know what i mean? I also bought 1 stadium mirror from moto ciclo last year for $169. Silly me. Should have looked online first aye. Bought another one a few days later from the UK for $60/$70 including freight. Nearly $100 cheaper from the other side of the world.
Initially i was gonna get a triumph. Kind of wish i had of after all this. I love the enfield alot though, i just need to get up to speed with stuff. Get my own spares from overseas etc. Its a shame its like this but im not getting shafted up the date with no vaseline from these guys anymore + i want people to know. The people in the shop are nice as pie. Actions speak louder than words though and its not til later that my anus hurt and i realised.
I told the importer all this and all he said was "They are my best customer. ive been in business for 30 years and you cannot please everyone" He also told me not to do the oil change myself.
My advice to anyone wanting to get an Enfield in Australia would be "Get a manual, get some tools, get a good parts supplier which will probably be overseas and dont expect much help from Enfield Australia.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 04:19:00 am by Sectorsteve »

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: June 18, 2013, 03:42:56 am
l
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:44:57 am by Sectorsteve »

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 03:45:33 am
Shady and incompetent.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 05:37:24 am
@sectorsteve +1 Its a shame though.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 06:29:28 am
you live and learn! It taught me a fair bit. plus i love to tinker anyway.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 07:33:23 am
@wildbill - yeah please do.when i got the g5 I Thought the tail light was far to square so i went to modak british parts dealer in melbourne looking for something that would fit the shape of the housing and found a matchless lense and reflector that fits perfectly. recently the brake light has begun passing current to the parking lights when applied so i must have another look at it soon. and those big shiny plastic trafficators have got to go!
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #41 on: June 18, 2013, 07:36:55 am
you live and learn! It taught me a fair bit. plus i love to tinker anyway.
Hitchcock's UK, Bullet Walla India, Classic Motor Works, USA(N field gear). Should be good start for Mail order spares.

Would be a good idea to find a local ( in country ) source as well. This guy sells a lot of RE,s but is in Brisbane. I don't know much about him.http://shop.britishmotorcycle.com.au/
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 09:01:10 am
Thanks Heaps REpozer!

swingarm

• Scooter
Reply #43 on: June 18, 2013, 09:30:45 am
I haven't found anywhere in Melbourne to buy o-ring chain with a clip link for my C5. Any suggestions for a local or Oz supplier?

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: June 18, 2013, 09:36:21 am
swingarm

here's where i bought mine - tsubaki o ring -very good chain

95/101 Silverwater Rd  Silverwater NSW 2128
(02) 9704 2500