Author Topic: Ditch your stock chain!  (Read 16989 times)

hocko

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 12:22:03 am
I got a total of 6,400 km when the chain almost self destructed. I've been told that an "o" ring chain will not fit the G5 so I brought the next chain from a Honda dealer, I've got 18,500 kms on the bike now, lube every so often and i'm only adjusting it about every 3000 kms.

Cheers  :)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 02:13:35 am
Though my chain's still in good shape I took the hint(s) and ordered up a Tsubaki today.  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 04:07:03 am
I ordered a new DID roller chain. My old one is reaching its limit.
If you don't lube your chain( I did almost every ride) , you will have problems.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 06:49:28 am
To Royalista. I was hoping to get a new Sprocket under warranty as well, but they said it was my fault. Even though i lubed the chain. the fact was that the dealer had serviced my bike 2 months before and then when the sprocket went he quoted me 200, then after the work, charged me 300.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 04:08:15 pm by Sectorsteve »

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 06:59:01 am
Sectorsteve,

If you don't mind, can you please tell which dealer are you talking about? The newer one in Sydney?

edit - Wow, I just checked the price for the sprocket and brake drum combo from Hitchcocks UK. Both brake drum and standard 38 tooth rear sprocket cost a total of 97GBP which is 158AUD in today's value. Add approximately 30 for the international shipping and you have $190 for a brand new sprocket/drum. Changing it yourself will take 30-45 minutes. It is an easy task. $300 at a dealer..what a rip off. Charging $100 for labour is kind of a joke  >:(
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:13:03 am by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 08:32:56 am
i don't know about the dealers but the importer here seems disinclined to honor the warranty. i went to see him with a cracked heatshield and again with a cracked muffler and was given a point blank refusal with no explanation. very poor behaviour imho. the prices he charges for accessories and parts are also a little out of proportion. he runs a one man show from a small warehouse in melton, so his overheads can't be that high. the guys in the reoca recommend the hitchcocks for parts even though they on the other side of the planet. they express unfavourable comments about said importer. seems a shame.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 08:38:11 am
this raspberry seems a little off.
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 09:47:01 am
easy fix here-go straight to hitchcocks uk -buy the efi muffler and toss the rocket launcher.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 01:02:47 pm
yeah i will mate as soon as i have a few loose dollars. i want to get  one of those coffee mugs as well, but i welded up the pipe about 7000km ago and its still good so no rush. could really use one of those mugs though. and maybe a new wallet. and some vintage indicators. and a flyscreen. and a... well you get the idea. they have some cool stuff.

kammersangerin

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 01:15:00 pm
My 2012 C5 does still have the stock chain on it. My neighbor he is a pro bike rider-mechanic said it and the sprockets actually looked good, and he is aware of the chain problems on the RE. I must admit the chain is absolutely slathered though, and it is adjusted.

He said to ride a bit before replacing it, because I have so many other expenses to meet at the moment. I don't ride very fast that often, and because of events, only about 400 miles since purchasing.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 02:26:30 pm
ducati scotty picked up a pretty good chain for his c5 for about $40 - so in the future that might be a proposition and worth looking at.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 02:28:42 pm
aussie dave
i might have a set of indicators and a tail light you might be interested in buying

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 02:36:17 pm
thanks bill-what kind are they?

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 04:11:36 pm
motociclo is who im talking about. i was going to do it myself but they talked me out of it/plus i didnt really have the time to wait for parts as it was close to my big ride up the coast. They told me it would be about 200. when i got it done it was 300... id just been in the shop 2 months before and spent 600 on a service and a tyre. They will not get another cent out of me.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: June 17, 2013, 04:15:40 pm
yeah bro ive spoken to him on the phone too. Im certainly not gonna rely on the warranty, or buy parts from him either. there seems to be other options. as for the dealers and warranty - motociclo werent at all interested in my damaged sprocket, but i am partly to blame for that and have done alot of Kms in a short space of time.

i don't know about the dealers but the importer here seems disinclined to honor the warranty. i went to see him with a cracked heatshield and again with a cracked muffler and was given a point blank refusal with no explanation. very poor behaviour imho. the prices he charges for accessories and parts are also a little out of proportion. he runs a one man show from a small warehouse in melton, so his overheads can't be that high. the guys in the reoca recommend the hitchcocks for parts even though they on the other side of the planet. they express unfavourable comments about said importer. seems a shame.