Author Topic: Ditch your stock chain!  (Read 16997 times)

swingarm

• Scooter
Reply #45 on: June 18, 2013, 11:54:26 am
Thanks bill.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #46 on: June 18, 2013, 04:04:43 pm
Sectorsteve,
It might not be convenient for you but for your sake and the sake of others, both current and future owners, it might pay to bump things up a notch and file a complaint or more with RE Corporate since the bottom two links on the chain (pun intended) are giving the company a bad name.
Often a word or two from the right people will work wonders changing a sh*thead's attitude about his customers.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: June 19, 2013, 01:46:40 am
sectorsteve
will get a photo off to you today. once i get notice from the dealer for the arrival date of the cafe racer -my c5 goes anyway.
thought about keeping both but if you look at the bird in my profile chewing up my cash fund.......looks like i only keep one!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: June 19, 2013, 02:01:29 am
i replaced my oem "Indian Diamond " chain with just over 10k...It had stretched a bit  and I did adjust twice over the mileage stated...It's hanging  on a nail in the garage  straight with no kinks and further inspection didn't show any serious wear between the links..Maybe its the lube i'm using ...My teeth look okay too..
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #49 on: June 19, 2013, 03:13:32 am
That's good.  Oral hygiene is important.

Scotg

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: June 19, 2013, 05:11:04 am
Holego I'm all for this. Wild bill should also lodge a complaint as he had a dodgy C5 that he sold because he said it was rubbish.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #51 on: June 19, 2013, 05:33:48 am
i replaced my oem "Indian Diamond " chain with just over 10k...It had stretched a bit  and I did adjust twice over the mileage stated...It's hanging  on a nail in the garage  straight with no kinks and further inspection didn't show any serious wear between the links..Maybe its the lube i'm using ...My teeth look okay too..
I lube twice per tank of gas or more. I ride on dusty and some dirt roads.
What kind of lube are you using? Im thinking of switching to ATF on the chain.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: June 19, 2013, 05:48:58 am
Letter sent to RE corporate.

dougodewitt

• Scooter
  • 2019 INT650 Baker Express
Reply #53 on: June 19, 2013, 04:39:21 pm
I lube my chain before every ride; I bought my C5 from the second owner, at about 1100 mi on the clock. How do you tell if you have the stock chain or if it is an aftermarket chain? And how do you tell if your sprockets are being damaged? Mine seem to look fine, but without experienced eyes who knows?
RIDE, ride, NOW! Ride!

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #54 on: June 19, 2013, 04:44:37 pm
Okay, you guys scared me enough...ordered my O-ring chain today...

THX!! ::)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #55 on: June 19, 2013, 04:45:13 pm
Letter sent to RE corporate.

Good on ya!  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: June 19, 2013, 09:10:27 pm
I lube my chain before every ride; I bought my C5 from the second owner, at about 1100 mi on the clock. How do you tell if you have the stock chain or if it is an aftermarket chain? And how do you tell if your sprockets are being damaged? Mine seem to look fine, but without experienced eyes who knows?

Conventional way is to lube after the ride when the chain is still warm.
Lube will easily go where it has to go and will be dry before the next ride so it will not splatter off.

Overlubing does not yield a benefit, is just a waste of money.
But lubing after a ride in the rain is good practice.

The manual has a nice picture of healthy and bad teeth.
Bad teeth look spiky and will eventually break off with a nice twang. That's a good give away.   :'(
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #57 on: June 19, 2013, 11:50:28 pm
dougo
Here is a link that gives a lot of information about chains including a drawing showing how a totally worn out chain can be pulled up off of the rear sprocket.
I've never seen one that could have its link become as disengaged as the drawing shows but it shows the general idea.  IMO, of the link can be pulled up off of the sprocket  teeth over 1/8 inch, it is time to get rid of it.
http://www.bikerenews.com/Stories_Archives/Chains.html

Actually, I don't think my chain was even that bad but when I had to adjust it 3 times in just 3000 miles to get the right amount of looseness I said to myself, "Enough!  Be gone with you!"
A good chain can go much further without needing adjustment to keep the right amount of chain slack.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: June 20, 2013, 01:00:36 am
repozer:   type f and wee bit of left over oil..i brought one of those old fashion oil can with a adjustable skinny spout.. like in the wizard of ozz to oil the tin man..  ;D
Oh Magoo you done it again

dougodewitt

• Scooter
  • 2019 INT650 Baker Express
Reply #59 on: June 20, 2013, 11:19:17 pm
dougo
Here is a link that gives a lot of information about chains including a drawing showing how a totally worn out chain can be pulled up off of the rear sprocket.
I've never seen one that could have its link become as disengaged as the drawing shows but it shows the general idea.  IMO, of the link can be pulled up off of the sprocket  teeth over 1/8 inch, it is time to get rid of it.
http://www.bikerenews.com/Stories_Archives/Chains.html

Actually, I don't think my chain was even that bad but when I had to adjust it 3 times in just 3000 miles to get the right amount of looseness I said to myself, "Enough!  Be gone with you!"
A good chain can go much further without needing adjustment to keep the right amount of chain slack.

Thanks man! I really needed that!
RIDE, ride, NOW! Ride!