Author Topic: New to forum  (Read 1192 times)

victorygreg

• Scooter
on: July 01, 2013, 07:50:56 am
Hi all, new to forum and R/E. Have a few questions about new C5 I got last week. Has about 275 miles on it so far and has used about 1/2 Qt. of oil. A few drops on floor, no smoke out exhaust is this normal or on the high side? Also when braking it feels like the brake is going on and off very quickly. Is this normal brake-in stuff or do I have problems?  Thanks for the help, Greg
Royal Enfield  Can-Am Spyder  Ural  Victory Classic

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 09:28:53 am
Has about 275 miles on it so far and has used about 1/2 Qt. of oil. A few drops on floor, no smoke out exhaust is this normal or on the high side? Also when braking it feels like the brake is going on and off very quickly. Is this normal brake-in stuff or do I have problems?  Thanks for the help, Greg

First of all, congrats on your new purchase! And at the same time, I'm sorry to hear about this leak..

Is it a 2010 model? The leak is on the high side for sure. The UCE engines rarely have any leaks, and if so, very minor (if present) that can be sorted out. But this one seems very unusual! Do you know where the oil is leaking from? The leak is probably as a result an improper gasket seating or a loose bolt/nut combo around the head or rocker covers. Or it can be from the left/right engine covers. It will be good if you can post a couple of pictures of the said leak..maybe one picture from each side etc.

Regarding the braking issue, I think you are referring to the front one? There are probably air bubbles in the brake hose that might need some of the 'bleeding' procedure. Either way, I think it is not safe to ride if you are not comfortable with the brakes or if they are not performing optimally.

With the above said, If the bike is under warranty, I strongly suggest you to take it back to the dealer to address the above problems, especially the oil leak. It is not the typical nature of UCE Enfields leaving oil drops on the floor...or as Scottie J puts it..'marking its territory'.

Good luck!
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 12:46:39 pm
bit unusual for the c5-mine rarely uses any oil between changes

victorygreg

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 05:33:14 pm
the bike is a 2012. the oil seems to be coming from the seem of the engine case on bottom of motor.(or that's wear it forms)  The brakes work great, they just feel strange.  I am computer challenged, don't know how to post photos.(need to work on computer skills)
Royal Enfield  Can-Am Spyder  Ural  Victory Classic

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 07:49:40 pm
If the bike is leaking that much, it needd to be fixed. If its burning that much, I'd run it for several hundred miles before I would got too worried about it. New engines sometime use a bit of oil.
But it is due now for it's first checkup and oil change, so you can take it to the dealer and get that bet all that stuff that's necessary taken of!
Welcome to the group and enjoy the bike!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Dudefella

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 05:19:28 am
In the old days, some would say an oil leak was a good thing. When there was no oil leak, it meant there was no oil  ;D