Author Topic: Spark plug health  (Read 15413 times)

jammydodger

• Scooter
on: June 14, 2013, 10:27:22 am
Hi All,
 I pulled out the spark plug recently and found what you see in the picture...I've tried to clean it with no luck and still looking very charred. What are your thoughts on the cause and suggestions of resolution.

Given that the bike is secondhand and have no idea how it was riden before...

Cheers
j

jammydodger

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 10:31:36 am
I have changed it over now, I'm looking to hear your comments of how this would have occured and how to avoid in the future with the new plug.

Cheers

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 10:38:50 am
One of the members named the spark plug you're holding the Bosch POS. One of a kind. Getting charred since birth.

If you've changed to a newer Bosch POS, it will keep happening. The only way to get rid of this richness is to switch to an NGK BPR6ES plug. That is the spark plug almost all the members are using. You will have no more of that crap. The bike will run better than ever, idle smoothly. And you can then try (consider) disconnecting the side-stand switch..
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

jammydodger

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 11:26:50 am
Ah, you're spot on and the plug I've changed to is identical to the one you see in the picture (It was included in the oil change kit from Hitchcocks) I’ll take your suggestion and keep the Bosch as an emergency spare.

How will the disconnection of the side stand switch help?

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 02:14:47 pm
The RE side stand is somewhat sensitive and many members have had their engines cut out during a ride because there was just enough motion in the 'up' side stand to engage the safety switch.

It won't make a difference with your spark plug carbon, but disconnecting the side stand switch is often one of the first modifications we make on the RE.  Just  ensure your side stand is up before putting the bike in gear- left hand turns with the side stand down can be a scary proposition.

Welcome to the forum.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 03:03:53 pm
I don't think the Bosch is even a good "emergency" plug. It will obviously cause more emergencies than cure, as you've already noted For about three dollars each, you can buy several NGKs and have all the spares you think you need. I think I changed my first NGK at about 14000 miles because I had one. There had been no problem with the one that was in there.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 03:38:27 pm
I'm having a hard time locating the NGK plug you guys are recommending.  As a rider living in the 4th largets US city, I find it hard to believe its that difficult.  I'e been to my local Auto Zone, Advance, Bap Geon, and NAPA.  When I look at the thread reach, its good but the cap is a push on type and the one I need for my coil wire is a threaded type.  As you know, it does not thread on it just grips it different.  In the old days, the cap would spin off and you could use it either way, but not anymore?
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 03:47:29 pm
Go to O'Reilly's.
They have the BPR6ES for about $3 and the BPR6EIX iridium for about $7.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 03:51:55 pm
I'm having a hard time locating the NGK plug you guys are recommending.  As a rider living in the 4th largets US city, I find it hard to believe its that difficult.  I'e been to my local Auto Zone, Advance, Bap Geon, and NAPA.  When I look at the thread reach, its good but the cap is a push on type and the one I need for my coil wire is a threaded type.  As you know, it does not thread on it just grips it different.  In the old days, the cap would spin off and you could use it either way, but not anymore?
You need to unscrew the little cap on the tip, and that will reveal the threaded part.
+ 1 for O'Reillys.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 04:35:15 pm
does not unscrew.  They don't all do that.  They used to, not anymore.  I've been through the spark plug boxes on the shelf at the parts store and its not there...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:44:33 pm by rvcycleguy »
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 04:38:02 pm
Go to O'Reilly's.
They have the BPR6ES for about $3 and the BPR6EIX iridium for about $7.

thanks.  I'll check that out.  I've not found an O'Reilly's near me but I'm heading out of town to Austin tonight, so maybe I'll see one on the way.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 05:50:12 pm
Plug looks fine.  engine is running a little rich though.
Does your bike have an O2 sensor ?  If so, there may be an exhaust leak where the pipe meets the motor.

But, then again, with such low miles, it's just barely run-in ....

a quick scrub & run it again.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 06:00:34 pm
ALWAYS carry a spare plug in a single cylinder bike ...DUH! Also, a pair of vice grips isn't a bad thing either. BIG ones.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 06:51:01 pm
thanks.  I'll check that out.  I've not found an O'Reilly's near me but I'm heading out of town to Austin tonight, so maybe I'll see one on the way.

If you don't find at O'Reilly's, go to a Yamaha Motorcycle dealer or Honda Motorcycle dealer who usually carry such spark plug.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:49:41 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 06:56:41 pm
Plug looks fine.  engine is running a little rich though.
Does your bike have an O2 sensor ?  If so, there may be an exhaust leak where the pipe meets the motor.

But, then again, with such low miles, it's just barely run-in ....

a quick scrub & run it again.

+1

Could also be from after a start up, and a short Idle.  The bikes do run rich at start up for a reason... There is a manual by starter there until that o2 sensor starts doing it's thing, should you need it . A nice soft start ain't a bad thing for the sprag, and probably easier on the leg if your kicking it. I Never had a problem with that Bosch plug. But my idle was adjusted correctly....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.