Author Topic: Throttle Cable?  (Read 3417 times)

Saltydog

• Scooter
on: June 16, 2008, 03:19:24 pm
Just broke the ball end of the throttle cable on my 05 classic. How easy it it to replace? The throttle end is obvious but what about the carb end? I am not a very good mechanic.

I'm assuming since I've only got 4000 miles on it I should upgrade to premium?

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 03:27:27 pm
This string might be of interest to you:  http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,1662.msg16673.html#msg16673

If you got 4k miles I would say you were lucky and you should absolutely upgrade.

Just broke the ball end of the throttle cable on my 05 classic. How easy it it to replace? The throttle end is obvious but what about the carb end? I am not a very good mechanic.

I'm assuming since I've only got 4000 miles on it I should upgrade to premium?
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Saltydog

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 09:33:17 pm
Outstanding!

I'm going to fix this thing myself!

Thank you

DVDitman

• Bulleteer
  • '06 Classic Deluxe ES
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 10:00:06 pm
It's not too difficult. Loosen the rubber hoses on either side of the carb., remove the airbox, pull out the carb., remove the gas line, unscrew the top of the carb., and carefully lift out the retaining clip in the bottom of the slide. Be sure to note where everything is located (helps to have a Snidal guide or Parts manual). Don't let the spring fly off, then work the old cable out of the slide, and get it out of the way. Route the new cable from the handle end, then re-assemble. Getting the cable end into the slide while compressing the spring, and getting the retaining clip back in can be a little tricky, but Buddhist-styled patience goes a long way when dealing with an Enfield! Be sure to get the slide back in the way it came out, and that it slides. Again, patience is the key. Get everything together, except for re-installing the airbox, then visually check the slide operation . It should drop with a low "thunk" when you release the handle. If not, go back and re-adjust 'til it does.

DVDitman

• Bulleteer
  • '06 Classic Deluxe ES
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 10:02:03 pm
Also, Enfields seem to eat cables, so ALWAYS keep spares with you - throttle, clutch, and front brake.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 02:28:37 am
Also, Enfields seem to eat cables, so ALWAYS keep spares with you - throttle, clutch, and front brake.
YES THEY DO....    but just a little knowledge for installer and they will last a lot longer.
 All  of my cable failures have been at the top end. When installing; makes sure that the ball rotates freely in the handle or throttle...  hole it out till or file the ball till it does and then a touch of grease. Oil regularly and enjoy the ride. I don't carry spares to change on the road but I've got spares in the "shed". When a clutch or front brake start making a "grinceing" noise; it's time...
                         - Mike
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 02:30:44 am by baird4444 »
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Saltydog

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 05:14:25 pm
Leonard.......Thank you, thank you, thank you! I replaced the throttle cable with little hassle thanks to you. I'm still amazed.

Scott

buckeye rider

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 07:07:08 pm
So far,I've replaced the throttle and clutch.I've since got a cable luber and lube about once a month