Author Topic: Starting My Own Shop!  (Read 4726 times)

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 01:46:43 pm
21? JVS I didn't think they ever sold a RE to anyone that young.   ;D ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

cochi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 11:59:45 pm
Scottie congratulations. You can make it work. Your getting some great advice and JVS  is right on the money! Create a business plan, if you don't already have one. It's really helpful and you will need one if you ever need a bank loan. cochi :)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 12:15:21 am
Scottie - congratulations!  I wish you great success!!

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 12:36:05 am
Congratulations Scottie J you will do well judging by your work you've posted photos of. JVS, don't listen to ERC he's so old he's driven the median age of RE owner's through the overhead.
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

Darvin Jahnke

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 02:21:06 am
Good luck with your new venture. In todays world just doing good work does not guarantee a succesful business. There is all the behind the scenes paperwork crap that needs to be attended to. Sending in collected taxes and necessary reports,social security and withholding taxes etc. Then there are a lot of expenses like property taxes or lease payments,insurances,utilities etc. etc. I've known some very talented people that went into business for themselves and went broke because they didn't take all of these things into consideration.I'm not trying to be discouraging,just realistic. And keep the accounts recievable to a minimum. Beware of the "buddies" that want deals. The saying is I have to make money off my friends because my enemies don't do business here. I ran my own sideline business for over 20 yrs out of my home shop. I worked 40 hr weeks at a shop in town and ran my shop evenings and weekends. Yes it was profitable but things have changed a lot now with all the regulations,required permits and paperwork. I finially got to the point that I wanted to work on my own stuff and have some time to enjoy life. Anyway,just some advice from a worn out old biker and hope things work out well for you.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 05:15:35 am
At the bike show today, I was talking with a gentleman who recently opened a shop spraying Plasti Dip (go figure) in the same are that I am.  He informed me that the city here offers small business classes that are either free or very cheap, $20-$60, that tell you everything you need to know, including classes on Quick Books.  So guess who's going to be taking some small business classes?    ;)  I also handed out quite a few business cards between the 2 shows today.  Fingers Crossed!

Thank you everyone for your kind words of encouragement.    :)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 05:44:07 am
The US Small Business Administration has programs and grants or loans for small business owners and startups.  You may qualify for something. Grants are great because you're getting some of your own income tax dollars back.  Better you than a 4th or 5th generation of entitlement.
http://www.sba.gov/category/navigation-structure/loans-grants
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 08:29:17 am
ERC,

Even though I was surrounded by 250-660cc Hondas, Yamahas and Kawasakis, I had to forcefully get the Enfield from them...them old chaps lol
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Pickasaurus

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 10:24:33 pm
Scottie, Where are you setting up shop?  I am also here in the Denver area, and have been toying with having my Ural side car rig custom painted.

pic
Sunt Nobis Dracones Interficiendi

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: June 16, 2013, 11:57:04 pm
Scottie, Where are you setting up shop?  I am also here in the Denver area, and have been toying with having my Ural side car rig custom painted.

pic

I live and work out of East Aurora ( Airport And 6th area ).  My shop is going to be by Motorcycle Depot if you know where that is.
I would LOVE to paint your sidecar rig!!!!!  I think that would be absolutely awesome!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

GreenForce82

• Frank The TECH
  • Grease Monkey
  • The Dude Abides
Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 03:33:28 am
What all are you going to be doing at your shop. I am considering moving out there and need a job and a place to stay. I will work for dirt, can learn to do anything and again will work for dirt. I would love to be your grease monkey grunt... I have a friend who lives out there and she LOVES it and says that there are lots of other jobs and fair priced places to stay so if it didn't work out I would be okay.

I am already packed to move I am just trying to save up a little startup money. I have someone who is gonna rent a U-haul for me to move my crap out there or at least a truck and trailer so I have that going for me.

I can turn a wrench, and like I said I can learn anything you are willing to teach. I really hope your business goes GREAT!

If you are looking for some startup help I would love to be a part of a what you are going to be doing. If not, no hard feelings of course. I am just trying to get the hell outta here and start a new life.

Best of Luck!!!
"Counted his friends in burned-out spark plugs
and prays that he always will.

But he's the last of the blue blood greaser boys all of his mates are doing time:

Married with three kids up by the ring road
sold their souls straight down the line.

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 02:10:50 pm
hey scottie , just want to ad my best wishes to you. what you are doing is in the finest tradition of turning a shite situation into a fantastic opportunity. all respect. from a life of being self employed( mostly) i can only say,never let a client leave unhappy,and never let payment slide. oh yeah, don't drink to much. Dave .;)
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 06:17:36 pm
You know, there is not a Ural dealer or a Ural Authorized repair shop in Denver...
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

jwnwyoming

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 01:53:41 pm
Scottie, you'll have to give us an address of your business. You'll become a destination!