Author Topic: Starting My Own Shop!  (Read 4725 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 14, 2013, 06:56:04 am
After an intense roller coaster ride over the last 2 weeks, and allegedly "walking out" after staying 1 1/2 hours past my scheduled shift and losing my job at Advance Auto Farts, there seems to be shining light at the end of the tunnel.  I've been talking with my good friend-partner-super-awesome-guy-that-gave-me-the-Indian  ;) about starting my own shop for some time, and it looks like we're going to pull the trigger.  He recognizes my talent and hard work ethic and is ready to financially back me to start up my own shop!  I'm turning in my shop lease app and deposit tomorrow and if everything goes to plan ( which I'm fully expecting  :D ) Bulldog Collision & Customs should be in official business in the next week or so!  I've been dreaming of this happening for the last 7 years and it seems fate has finally opened the door for me.    :)

I'm going to be doing everything from collision repair to restorations to custom fab work to vintage bikes.  Totally expect to see a RE Cafe bike coming out of here in the near future!    ;)  I realize this is going to be a lot of hard work, dedication and persistence, but this is why I started painting cars in the 1st place.  And I won't lie, I'm a bit overwhelmed, hence why I'm sitting here on the forum at damn near midnight writing about it, but I know I can do this.  I was telling my partner earlier today "I don't want to just be another paint guy, I want to be the next Boyd Cottington."  I have a great talent when it comes to painting cars/bikes and the time has finally come for me to prove it.

Scottie

P.S.  Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.    ;)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 07:04:35 am
Congratulations Scottie! Sounds frightening and exciting all at the same time! My hats off to you for jumping into the deep end.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:28:08 am
Congrats and good luck--if I end up in Denver after we're done overseas, I'll drop in to have you make stuff for me.  I'm sure I'll have a stupid idea that needs doin'.

MD

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 12:12:50 pm
Exciting new venture!
Best of luck!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 01:24:00 pm
Good luck I'm sure you can do it.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 01:28:52 pm
So much fun to do what you love!! It won't be easy, but easy isn't the point, is it? Best of luck.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 03:10:58 pm
Good Luck, and have a Grand opening!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 05:23:38 pm
Life is unfairly short - If you can do what you love, the challenge will be worth it.  Incredible news.  When I get serious about tearing apart this Enfield, I'll send stuff your way.

Best of luck Scottie. 
Boggy
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 06:04:55 pm
Thanks everyone!  I have to be honest, I've never been so excited AND so scared about the same thing at once.  It's a little intimidating, but I keep telling myself "Nothing will happen on it's own.  It's up to me to make it happen, and it won't happen if I don't try."  One thing is for sure, I'm not about to make a life changing decision with a half-assed attempt.  THAT I can assure you.    :)

Boggy - You just let me know when you want to do that and we'll figure something out.    :)

Also, if ANY of you are a small business owner and don't mind chatting for a bit about the ins-and-outs of running your own business, I'd be forever grateful for your kindness.

Scottie

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 07:06:31 pm
My best wishes with you Scottie for starting your own business. 

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 11:37:58 pm
ScottieJ:  My son open a LLC  business 6 months ago (Electrical contracting)...He is very hungry and makes a good living at it. You have to get your name out there and be looking for every opportunity to sell your services..If you can be patient, it may pay off.  Be prepared for failure and accept success gracefully..Your drive and ambition is the key to success..You got to stay focused and  in the game.....Just some observation that I encountered from watching my son..
Oh Magoo you done it again

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 12:15:15 am
Congratulations and best of luck to you in your new venture.

Your biggest challenge (aside from getting the needed business licenses) is getting the word out to the public that your in business.

Try to contact every person you've done paint or body work for (unless they are PO'ed about your work). 
Let them know your opening up your shop for business and ask them to spread the word.

This might include getting some small posters or flyers and business cards made.

At the local car shows here the owners often have signs made describing their cars features.  Ask them if they would add something like, "Custom Paint by Bulldog Collision & Customs" to their sign.
If they won't do that maybe they will agree to having a few of your poster/flyer or business card available when they are showing their cars.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 03:54:09 am
I actually handed out a few cards tonight at the Friday Night Meet at Sonic.  Tomorrow is the bike show that I'm entering the Indian in and also Cruzin Havana, which is a HUGE car cruise in it's 6th running year.  I heard last year the turn out was in the thousands!  So I'm definitely going to be putting the word out there tomorrow.   :D

Scottie

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 04:10:29 am
Good luck Scottie! Great advice from other members here.

Having basically very less experience in the workforce (I'm 21), I can only advise you to prepare a business plan for your venture. I've heard that preparing a business plan is very beneficial as it allows you to research your industry, competitors (market analysis), strategic analysis, environment analysis, SWOT analysis and marketing. These aspects can allow you to gain additional market share and clients/customers as opposed to your competitors. Getting a business plan done professionally will present you with many new ideas and areas that you can exploit. The first couple of years are very crucial. With the right amount of dedication and effort, I am 100% sure you will go far!
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 04:33:49 am
  Very cool....  Good luck Scottie!
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.