Author Topic: Neutral indicator light  (Read 6596 times)

TheFatMan

• Scooter
  • The Fat Man's home on the lake
on: June 13, 2013, 02:33:31 pm
My bike is a 2010 C5 Military.  I have had a great time with it so far.  Last night on returning from a ride, my neutral indicator light is out. I have had the headlamp holder thingy (what is that thing called?) apart to change the five inch headlamp to a tri bar seven incher,  so changing the bulb is no problem, if that is what it is. Is there a way to check it without tearing the thing apart?  I suspect it's just a burned out bulb, any other possibilities?
TFM

keithr

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 03:06:07 pm
I thought my neutral light had failed last week while I was out for a ride and I stopped at some traffic lights. However, it turned out I was actually in a false neutral between 2nd and 3rd gear.  So before you change bulbs it might be worth checking that you're in the right neutral!  :D

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 03:15:24 pm
My bike is a 2010 C5 Military.  I have had a great time with it so far.  Last night on returning from a ride, my neutral indicator light is out. I have had the headlamp holder thingy (what is that thing called?) apart to change the five inch headlamp to a tri bar seven incher,  so changing the bulb is no problem, if that is what it is. Is there a way to check it without tearing the thing apart?  I suspect it's just a burned out bulb, any other possibilities?
TFM
You will have to check by doing a visual, While you are checking the bulb out, now would be a good time to change lights to LED which will last forever and are visible even in direct sunlight.
Do a search on this forum and there are many topics on this.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

shamelin

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 03:33:59 pm
Option #1: Swap out your neutral bulb for one of the pilot light bulbs to check for the bulb function.

Option #2: Use a voltmeter to make sure the neutral bulb harness is getting juice.

As long as your swapping out bulbs, it's a good time to consider LED bulb upgrades.  Singh5g has several excellent YouTube videos on this, as well as other RE maintenance and upgrade projects.  I personally prefer the old style bulbs in my speedometer, but I've changed all the indicator lights to LED bulbs.  Before it was difficult to see the neutral light in the Texas midday sun.  With the LED bulbs, it's not an issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMCSEraYCxM

TheFatMan

• Scooter
  • The Fat Man's home on the lake
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 04:15:00 pm
Thanks all
Will check on them LED option, sounds like a good swap

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 06:15:35 pm
Even better for that illusive turn indicator light!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 10:58:58 pm
You make the swap to LEDs and you will be able to them during the day. It cuts down on mileage with the turn signals flashing too! ;-)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 01:03:13 am
I seem to recall that just any old LED won't work for the turn signal indicator without some supporting hardware.

Because of the weird wiring used for that light, positive electricity is supplied to both of its wires.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 04:50:42 am
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 05:18:25 am
On Iron Barrels you can just plug in a BA9 LED, it's the flashers themselves that require and electronic flasher unit  (or load resistors for the OEM thermal flasher unit).  Use the electronic unit, load resistors defeats any power savings.
For newer models here's one of the threads where people sort it out and post their results.
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10412.0.html
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Joash

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 03:24:39 pm
Hi folks, thanks for all the great info here. I just getting to know my 2013 C5, and am working on upgrading at least the neutral and possibly the indicator bulbs to LED. When I got to actually remove the bulb yesterday I notice that they are now using the wedge shaped bulbs, for at least the neutral and trafficator lights. So it seems the BA9 type LEDs will not simply plug in
would this be a better alternative?
http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/instrument-cluster-gauge/194-led-bulb-4-led-wedge-base/198/

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 03:35:39 pm
Yep, should do it if you have the 9.2mm/0.2" base.  Be sure to get the color to match the lens, i.e. green for neutral, blue for high beam, yellow for turn indicator.  The 32 degree will brighter and make them visible in daylight.
Just for my own curiosity; Are your trafficators and tail light bulbs plug in too?
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

Joash

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 04:06:50 pm
Thanks for the tip- I have not looked the tail lights yet, and the two pilot lights do not seem to be plug in.
I was actually a little relieved to see that there was not the 'rat's nest 'of wires behind the headlamp assembly as seems to often be the case. :) Things seems to be grouped together for the most part, and there were 2 small rubber flap-like pieces  protecting/covering the base of main 'arteries as they came in.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 12:51:01 am
Royal Enfield is constantly improving their bikes and the improved wiring harness's in the casquette is one of them.

Now, if they improve their starter solenoid and chain quality it would be a good thing. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 12:59:38 am
You can change any bulb of the bike to LED just by swapping them out, except the Turn Signals. The indicator can be swapped.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com