Author Topic: A philosophical question for barenekd  (Read 1306 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
on: June 13, 2013, 05:40:20 am
Bare,

I've been reading a lot about the V7 bikes lately and noting that almost every review notes two things:
1) Not as much power as you expect.  (What does compared to modern sport bikes and giant v-twin cruisers?)
2) Soooooooooo much character.

It's the second one that grabs my attention since you noted a distinct lack of character compared to the RE.  It seems the V7 is an anachronistic bike in many ways like the RE, but I certainly think the RE is farther out on the spectrum.  I'm wondering, do you think it's just your perspective after having owned an RE so long and put so many miles on it?

Thanks,
Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 12:16:44 am
I am beginning to like it better, but it's quite like owning a late '60s-early '70s bike. It's got pretty much the same power, which is more than adequate. It will do a bit over the ton.
It draws about as much attention as the RE, so I guess their attempt at gaining the Vintage look has been a success. In fact, it's Guzzi's #1 seller. You also even have to adjust the valves! The engine is still antiquated design, heron heads, two valves/cyl and pretty much the engine they had in the old days, although the big bore and short stroke are not from the old days. However its peak torque are at 3200 RPM so it's a good short shifter engine. Redline is at about 7000 rpm with peak hp (43 at the rear wheel) at 6000 rpm. The engine gets rather buzzy at those rpms though, but lower down it is quite smooth.
So far with 1400 miles on the bike it has been averaging 51 mpg, low at about 43 and high at 56. Freeway running will use the most gas, so I try to keep it at about 70, but occasionally it creeps above that. I have had it to 95. Plenty left.
Comfort wise, it's too bad, but I think the Enfield was a bit better. These pegs are a little higher and farther forward, so a long legged guy would probably feel cramped. The pegs are supposed to be adjustable, but I haven't really looked at it to see what's involved.
I get a little tight between the shoulders which never happened on the Enfield. Nothing bad, just a bit annoying.
The fly screen is almost as effective as the one I had on the Enfield, but not quite as nice. I'm thinking about changing it.
Honestly, the gearbox compares real well the the Enfield. Long throws and not quite going into gear. It's not bad, but it will definitely remind you of home! Once it's all broken in it should be alright! Sound familiar?
The torque rolling feeling, except when you're stopped, is unnoticable, and I haven't noticed any rear end jacking. They seem to have all that well under control.
The suspension seem to be about where I got the Enfield. It's working fairly well, but it can bottom in dips.  When I got it, the rear wheel would bounce about 6" in the air, but the rear suspension is fully adjustable and I've gotten it working pretty well. The forks are a bit soft, but not terrible. A heavier spring might be in the works. The Sport Demon tires, I have no qualms with. Quite nice on all counts!
As far as a comparison to the Enfield, the Enfield was far more challenging to ride. You have to work how fast yo think you want to go, or how fast will it go in some circumstances. And how are you going pass someone! It can be very challenging, but it brought a lot more gratification and fun when the job was done!
It's kinda like riding an enduro and when you get stuck in the swamp and say to yourself, "Am If having fun yet?" You must be because you're out there at the next meet doing the same damn thing all again!
When it comes to riding, this is basically just another bike! the only challenge here is to you...how fast do you want to go. Obviously for sheer top speed it is limited, but in the real world, you can go pretty fast and the bike will get you there. It's another reminder that going fast on a slow bike is a lot more fun than going slow on a fast bike. However, the Guzzi is a bit to fast for this adage to count!
The bottom line is that the Enfield is more gratifying and fun. However all the things that make it fun can sometimes be a bit frustrating when you want to get that extra measure of speed!
But the Guzzi is still fun, it's just a different animal.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 01:13:30 am
Thanks for the perspective.  I suppose the frustration/challenge of the RE is what often brings the rewards of riding it, and it sounds like there are fewer on the V7.

I've got a Dart flyscreen from my Monster just sitting around the garage, plexiglass in light smoke.  It mounts to the headlight mounting bolts so you could probably adapt it.  Let me know if you're curious.

Scott