Author Topic: Hand brake switch  (Read 2709 times)

tanker

• Scooter
on: June 09, 2013, 12:14:03 am
My front hand brake switch makes contact at the start of the "squeeze" but as I apply more pressure, it loses contact.  I have tried spraying contact cleaner on the plunger area where the handlebar lever makes contact as well as through the hole in the casting.  Neither corrected the problem.  I would like to remove the micro switch but am not sure how it comes out.  Does it just pull out?  I think if I can get the micro switch out of the boss assembly, I might be able to clean it enough to get it to work.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 12:35:02 am
My 07 Electra has the same problem..I'll be messing with it tomorrow.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 01:31:42 am
I had to replace mine.  If i remember right, the switch pushes forward out of the handle assembly.  I think i recall removing the handle to do this.  To actually get the switch out of it's housing there are 2 small tabs on the sides that need to be pushed in which allows you to remove the housing and expose the contacts. 

Honestly, i ran without it for a long time and just applied both brakes at the same time.  The switch design and contacts are really crap.  I did end up replacing the entire thing this spring, for about $18 from our hosts.  It was a 5 minute install, but does require opening the rats nest behind the headlamp.

one additional thought:  The switch is open when the brake handle is at rest (plunger in).  When you apply the brake, a spring pushed the switch into a closed position via a little spring in the back of the housing.  A small plunger contacts the handle.  You can watch it move as you press and release the handle.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 01:57:47 am by DanB »
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 01:46:19 am
Just took a short ride...mine is working now.

tanker

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 02:32:38 pm
Thanks Techmaven for the tip for removing the switch.  I was able to really soak it with contact cleaner while vigorously moving the plunger in and out.  For now it appears to work, although I suspect this may be a good spare part to keep on hand.  As you noted, you just need to remove the handle (one nut and pivot bolt), not the whole assembly.  the switch pushes out easily toward the front.  It is apparently just held in place with friction.  There is a locator tab to orient the switch.  Happy riding!
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 01:25:13 am
Do yourself a big favor and don't run without a rear brake light indication from your front brake. We carry the switches and they are not too expensive. 1-800-201-7472
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 03:10:18 am
Glad to hear tanker! Enjoy the ride.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 04:49:41 am
Kev is right.
Get a brake switch on order.

2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

tanker

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 05:01:02 pm
Apologies to DanB, who had the tip on removing the switch.  I agree with all who advised ordering a replacement.  While the original is working at the moment, it is too important a safety feature to not have a spare.  I will be calling our hosts to order one today.  Thanks again to all who replied.
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 05:54:38 pm
At least you guys have a front brake switch.  My beast never even came with 1 back in '58!    ;)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 04:39:50 am
@Tanker.. No worries; glad it helped (this forum is how i learned).

@Scottie
At least you guys have a front brake switch.  My beast never even came with 1 back in '58
  Forces you to use good braking technique, both at the same time  8)
2006 AVL Electra

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 05:12:24 am

@Scottie   Forces you to use good braking technique, both at the same time  8)

I've been riding for so many years now that my hands and feet instinctively know what to do to avoid what ever is thrown at me.  Including the Barbie doll that was thrown at me this morning!  I have to admit, that was the first time Barbie has ever intimidated me.  LOL    ;D

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King